Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Left turn and left brake lights not working

The problem was intermittent at first and now is permanent. I have checked the trailer connector for connectivity to the point where that is wired into the trailer wiring and it is OK. I have checked for voltage on the LED board and get tail lights OK (black wire) but no voltage for brake or turn (red wire). I checked the ohms to see if the red wire was grounded but it is not. I tried to find the wiring behind the license plate box but could not find it. I think I either have a broken wire somewhere between the trailer connector and the brake light. I have not found any place where I can get to the wires. I think my only solution is to run a new red wire from the front to the rear above the belly pan but am sure not looking forward to that.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I bought my trailer it had the same issue. Stopped by Jackson Center and the tech replaced the LED assmbly. Said the module was dead. No charge for the lights but was charged for the labor. Seemed fair to me as the trailer is 9 years old.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I don't get a voltage reading on the contact on the LED for the brake light when I have the flashers on so am not sure that it is the LED.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Went down to the trailer this morning and connected 12v directly to the LED boards and found they are both good. I guess that means that I definitely have a wiring problem. Anyone have any good ideas about what to try next?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Colchester , Vermont
Had same problem a couple of years ago while traveling to Key West. A local guy jury rigged it to get me home. Once home, my repair guy started chasing it. He found a connector had become loose that was under the cabinets/sink area. Plugged it in...lights worked, problem solved. Of course, he had to re-assemble the sofa, and put the belly pan back in front. So, check all connectors inside before you go crazy.
Jeff
jchodgdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
This maybe be a stupid but is there any fuses in the system , I would check that and if there is one blown ,I would wonder what caused it to blow. ( it's not a defective fuse! ) if there is no fuse for the lights I would check were the trailer wiring comes into the trailer from tow vehicle there maybe is a point were you can test .on my 2015 it's right under the dining road side bench.

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
There should be a junction box some where inside near the front of the trailer where the pigtail/umbical cord connects to the trailer wiring. There are no fuses, but there are two connection for each of 7 wires. Make sure all the nuts are good and tight. I have found them loose. You can test for continuity or power to the box from the TV. The junction box is black and about 6 x 2 X ".
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer is a rear bed model, but mine has a connector located at the left rear floor area right about below the left tail light assembly. I would look for this connector in the same place as mine.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Left turn and left brake lights not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
There should be a junction box some where inside near the front of the trailer where the pigtail/umbical cord connects to the trailer wiring. There are no fuses, but there are two connection for each of 7 wires. Make sure all the nuts are good and tight. I have found them loose. You can test for continuity or power to the box from the TV. The junction box is black and about 6 x 2 X ".

x2

Check for power at the front and then work back.

Make sure you are getting a signal from the tow vehicle first and then check the back of the umbilical female plug on the front of the trailer.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Finally found and fixed the problem. The trailer end connector has two sping parts that slip over the blade in the TV recptacle. Apparently the two spring end connectors had spread too far apart and slipping the trailer connector in was not scraping them clean each time and over time they became corroded. I had already ordered a new connector with its wiring molded in, so disconnected the old wiring at the point where it ties into the trailer wiring right under the propane tanks and everything is working now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums