Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Dan....you know I'm a loyal customer...but.

Put an led bulb the same color as the lens and it will be considerably brighter.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
red on red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Dan....you know I'm a loyal customer...but.

Put an led bulb the same color as the lens and it will be considerably brighter.

Bob
Red LED cluster bulb thru a Red Lens will be more than the Bright white cluster bulb, but I have not found any that would give more light than the pad. Even on some of the "aluminum base high intensity" cluster bulbs.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Would not a red flat round array stuck to the inside of the red lens work better than trying to utilize the stock reflector and an LED bulb? I have seen these on truck tail light so they must be available. The individual LED's are already optimized in one direction.

I looked for something like this on ebay the other day and never found something to my liking.

Perry
Old 11-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
IMHO
The Pros:
LEDS are brighter especially for running lights and tail/ signal lights.
LEDS use a lot less juice and are better for boondocking.

The Cons:
Much more expensive
May need to be fabricated for the purpose which needs some techy knowledge

The rest of the story:
If your incandescent bulbs are burning out quickly something is wrong. 12 v incandescent light bulbs last for years.
I have never heard of a problem from incandescent bulbs causing any problems for the Tow Vehicle.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
arrays are better

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Would not a red flat round array stuck to the inside of the red lens work better than trying to utilize the stock reflector and an LED bulb? I have seen these on truck tail light so they must be available. The individual LED's are already optimized in one direction.

I looked for something like this on ebay the other day and never found something to my liking.

Perry
For sure, Arrays and Pads, put out more light than cluster bulbs, in the Stop Tail and Turn setup. Arrays/pads are available for everything Airstream made from 1965 to present. And also in some earlier years than that.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my trailer came with LED tail lights and they started to fail after about three years; My replacements have been working flawlessly for over six years and cost about 1/3rd the factory price. I replaced my porch light with an LED that is bright and won't melt the lens. Since I seldom ever boondock, the only LED's that I have inside of my trailer are (4) battery powered puck lights. I plan to replace my step light with an LED in the future. [soon as I find the right one]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #21
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, my trailer came with LED tail lights and they started to fail after about three years; My replacements have been working flawlessly for over six years and cost about 1/3rd the factory price. I replaced my porch light with an LED that is bright and won't melt the lens. Since I seldom ever boondock, the only LED's that I have inside of my trailer are (4) battery powered puck lights. I plan to replace my step light with an LED in the future. [soon as I find the right one]
Dan originally sent me a bright white for my porch that was a bit blinding. I called him and let him know and he sent me a soft white that seems just right. Bright white is blinding .
Old 11-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
Hi, my trailer came with LED tail lights and they started to fail after about three years; My replacements have been working flawlessly for over six years and cost about 1/3rd the factory price.
My 2009 Classic which I bought used in July came with Bargman LED tail lights. The trailer has been parked since I bought it and I'm now getting it road-ready for travel in early spring. I noticed all 4 tail lights (the center backup lights are incandescent) have failed LEDs and either the pads (~$25 each) or entire fixture (~$40 each) will need to be replaced.

When I took the lens covers off I saw all had leaked around the lens cover and that seems to have been what caused them to burn out.

There's a groove the lens cover fits in, but no rubber gasket. Appears to me to be poor design. I like using LEDs for the reasons mentioned, but I am reluctant to replace the LED pads without also installing a gasket to prevent this problem recurring. Should I replace the entire fixture (more bucks) or is there some type of rubber gasket material that can be fabricated to fit? Has anyone else experienced this problem and come up with a less costly solution?