Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
LEDs to replace Fluorescents

Our AS has a number of fluorescent ceiling fixtures. Although no doubt they are more efficient than incandescent, I've just never liked fluorescent lights!

I have already replaced the halogen reading lights over the sofa and bed with warm white LED's and while the don't have the output of the original halogens, they are adequate, take much less power, and produce virtually no heat.

So now I'm wondering about what options exist to replace the fluorescents.

I would rather leave the fixtures in place if possible and just find a way to replace the light source.

I was thinking it should be possible to access the incoming 12v line (so as to bypass whatever ballast/starter is installed for the fluorescents) and then use some sort of strip led lights fastened to the existing fixture where the tubes orignially were installed.

Anyone done anything like this and/or have tips or suggestions?

Thanks ....... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I haven't done it, but it should be a simple matter to remove the bulbs and the transformer/oscillator, and then take the output wires from the switch to the new LED lights. The problem as I see it would be getting the same amount of light output as the existing fourescents have.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Brian,

Check the Airstream Store web site. They are now offering a LED replacement for the fluorescent fixtures in your Airstream. A pack of two is currentlyl $45.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Brian,

Check the Airstream Store web site. They are now offering a LED replacement for the fluorescent fixtures in your Airstream. A pack of two is currentlyl $45.
They look interesting. Not much more than a replacement ballast for a Thin Lite. Has anyone seen these? Are they warm white or cool "white". I put "white" in quotes because they are cooler (bluer) than cool white fluorescent. I have even gotten products that said they had blue LEDs that really have cool white ones.

If they are warm white, I will try them.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Brian,

Thanks,

I did see those, but there is no indication as to the colour temperature, ie if they are cool white or warm white. I would want the warm light bulbs, usually you have a choice.

Has anyone here tried the ones from the AS store? Comments re amount and colour of light?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
superbright has strip lights that may work for you
WLF series Waterproof Light Fixture Specifications
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
superbright has strip lights that may work for you
WLF series Waterproof Light Fixture Specifications
Yep, I did flip thru the pages of their website and saw those. I imagine they would be expensive though being waterproof units in an aluminium housing.

Hopefully (?!) I shouldn't need the waterproof feature inside the trailer and could save $$.

What is a big unknown to me however is how the light output and distribution would compare with the existing fluorescents. The ones that you referenced indicate a 120 degree pattern and a light output of 145 lumens. Doesn't help me much to decide how that might look though!

I do know that I would be happier with more of a pot light type appearance rather than flooding the whole trailer as the existing lights do. Also, I would like the warmer white light.

I suppose that if I don't get info from someone who has already tried this modification, I'll just have to buy a couple and try them on one fixture.

Thanks ....... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 05-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've found for my unit, that the 1156 (or equiv) run hot, eat lots of power and I have converted so far to one fluorescent over the galley area since it uses around half or less the power of the 2 bulbs in the old incandescent bulbs it replaced.

I would love to swap to LED for some interior lights, but I haven't really been that impressed with what's out there so far in terms of lumens.....anyone know if there is a really good replacement for the basic 2 bulb incandescent fixtures that throws off good light with near the same lumens as the standard 2 bulb fixtures?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I may buy one of the 12" units at 25 bucks to check it out. I can always find a place to put if I don't like it for the overhead, maybe in the fridge.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Jefferson Co , Ohio
You may like to try this link http://www.jclampstand.com this is where JC store gets theirs. I replaced one fluorescent lamp above sink, I like it so far. Would not do all lamps due to cost, but only really need to use one or two at a time.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Check out this thread

There is a thread in the classic motorhome section posted by Klattu. It's called "LED Conversion". It's dated Oct 26, 2006. This has given me ideas for my own conversion. Maybe someone whose a little smarter than me can post a link to this thread.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonymo View Post
You may like to try this link http://www.jclampstand.com this is where JC store gets theirs. I replaced one fluorescent lamp above sink, I like it so far. Would not do all lamps due to cost, but only really need to use one or two at a time.
Thanks - that looks like a good source. One thing they don't tell you though is if the LED's are cool white (around 7000 deg.K) or warm white (around 3500 deg K).

I will email them to see if they can advise. I guess it depends what sort of atmosphere you want to create but in my case, I really would only want the
warm white led's - the cool white look too cold and bluish to suit the decor of our trailer.

Can you tell from the one you bought if it is cool white or warm white?

Warm white looks pretty much like a regular incandescent.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 05-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Anyone tried these yet?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Anyone tried these yet?
I have limited my LED's to the reading lights over the sofa and over the bed for now.

I did buy LED's for the chandelier type fixture over the dining table, but they literally fell apart after a few hours use - the individual LED's just fell off the circuit board, others stopped working. Seems they overheated. I wonder if the dc voltage from the converter was too high for them.

I may have another try with the chandelier one day, although even when they worked, Mrs. Wingeezer felt that they were not bright enough for her liking.

As for the fluorescents, I don't think I will bother for now. The existing lights are pretty energy efficient, and we rarely use the anyway, so I can't justify the high cost to change them.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have the strips in all my overhead fluorescent fixtures from LED4RV.com. I did not remove the ballasts for the old bulbs, in case I ever want to change back. I just unplugged the wire to the ballast.

I used the bright white only for areas where bright light is needed to perform tasks. Over galley counter (under cupboard), overhead by closet. I put four bright white strips in the bath for makeup (for my wife....NOT me) etc. All the rest are warm white. I am happy with them.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Rochester , Minnesota
I replaced all the lights in my trailer with LEDs from led4rv. Bright white over sink, in bathroom, reading lights and over table. All others are warm white. Am very happy with them. The flouresenct are replaced with a adhesive backed strip. I just cut the wire going to the balast and connected the strip wires. LEDs are polarized so make sure the lights work before doing a permament connection. For the duel bulb lamps I used 13 led light and brighter 18 led light. I feel the leds put out more light than the bulbs I replaced.
tedh1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Santa Barbara , California
Hey Guys.

I'm just about to do this same thing with led4rv lights, but I have one question:

Can I double-up/stagger two of the strip lights so that I solve the problem of wonky looking 18" lights in 24" overhead panels? Will it suck too much electricity?
warrenivan is offline   Reply With Quote