Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
LEDs for chandelier & Fluorescents?

I have started replacing interior lights with LED's, so far, I have only done the reading lights over the bed and also those over the sofa.

The first ones I put over the sofa were not bright enough (only 4 LED's) but I now put in units with 10 LED's and I think they will be fine.

I see that the Airstream store is now offering LED replacements for the
wedge style automotive bulbs in the dinette chandelier.

Wondering if anyone has tried these and if so, how they worked out? I believe they are warm white. Are they bright enough?

Also, I see the Airstream store has LED strips you can install in your existing ceiling fluorescents - I don't believe the Airstream website specifies if they are warm white or cool white. (I would want warm white, don't like the colour of the existing fluorescents).

Anyone have any experience with these units - they are pretty pricey!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Have not started the interior conversion because of current pricing. I did convert the all the exterior lights for increased brightness.

As for the interior I have seen where someone bought several 12 volt Garage Drop Lights from Harbor Freight when they were on sale, $9.00, and stripped out the boards and used them. An equivalent size board if purchased on the open market would be over $20.00.

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Have not started the interior conversion because of current pricing. I did convert the all the exterior lights for increased brightness.

As for the interior I have seen where someone bought several 12 volt Garage Drop Lights from Harbor Freight when they were on sale, $9.00, and stripped out the boards and used them. An equivalent size board if purchased on the open market would be over $20.00.

Sounds like a clever idea! The garage worklights.

I have seen however all seem to be cool white and I'd rather go with warm white if I could get them.

Maybe I can just order something suitable from "Superbrightleds.com" which is where I bought the reading light replacements

I'd like to eventually replace the exterior lights too for brighter LED's and less maintenance.

I built a small trailer to pull behind a motorcycler and used all LED lighting - very pleased with it. No bulbs to burn out nor sockets to corrode!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 10-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
warm white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

Also, I see the Airstream store has LED strips you can install in your existing ceiling fluorescents - I don't believe the Airstream website specifies if they are warm white or cool white. (I would want warm white, don't like the colour of the existing fluorescents).

Anyone have any experience with these units - they are pretty pricey!

Brian
Brian,

The price is coming down, and they are making them better. I found a company that has a flexable strip. I got some and they are as bright as the fluoresent. My light would not start and I replaced the bulbs. soon they would not work again. I was going to have to get a balest when I found a solution that did not need a balest. This comany has warm white so I can switch over one at the time and the color is pretty close to the fluoresent I already has.

LED Warm White strip for repairing 12in light T250mmWW [T250mmWW] - $19.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

fixer
Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer58 View Post
Brian,

The price is coming down, and they are making them better. I found a company that has a flexable strip. I got some and they are as bright as the fluoresent. My light would not start and I replaced the bulbs. soon they would not work again. I was going to have to get a balest when I found a solution that did not need a balest. This comany has warm white so I can switch over one at the time and the color is pretty close to the fluoresent I already has.

LED Warm White strip for repairing 12in light T250mmWW [T250mmWW] - $19.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

fixer
Hi fixer,

How does the brightness and spread of light compare the the fluorescent tubes you replaced?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
It is about the same except I can see the little LED lights when I look close at the lens. It is just as bright spreds out just the same and they work when it is cold.

www.LED4RV.com has a video that shows how to repair the light and you can see what it looks like.

fixer
Old 10-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer58 View Post
It is about the same except I can see the little LED lights when I look close at the lens. It is just as bright spreds out just the same and they work when it is cold.

www.LED4RV.com has a video that shows how to repair the light and you can see what it looks like.

fixer
Great link, many thanks, I have bookmarked and will likely order some.

looks like you need two strips per fixture - ie $40 per fixture, presume that is what you did? Any installation problems?

Did you go for the warm white? That is what I would like to use as I don't care for the cold light of the fluorescents.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'