Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 11:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lehi , Utah
LED Tail lights flashing

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to this Forum.

I'm having an issue with the LED tail lights flashing on my 2014 23D. My TV is a Land Rover LR3 2006, I've tried the Curt 7-way adapter and the E-trailer 7-way adapter, and I've even installed 50W 6 Ohms LED Load-resisters on the tail lights and they are still flashing. I also checked to make sure that the TV and TT were properly ground to see if that would fix the issue, but no luck.. I'm totally out of ideas. My wife (LolaT) has written about this in some of her previous posts. The tail lights on the TT flash as long as the TV is connected and it doesn't matter if the TV is running or not. I've read a lot of posts out there about Audi's, VW's, Porsche, and even a few Land Rover's with similar issues that have been resolved with the 7-way adapter. Please Help.

I connected the resisters as follows:

RaymondFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:59 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I seem to remember the adapter for a BMW or VW will stop this.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:10 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy, Raymond!
Nice artwork!

Your 'load' resistor is on the 'stop/turn'... is this the circuit that is failing? Is the 'stop/turn' flickering when it shouldn't? If so, it sounds like there is a 'short' in either the LR or the AS 7 way connector where it is getting 12 volts from somewhere..

First, I would connect FUSED wires, securely, from my AS battery to the 7 way to TEST if the lights are reliable using a 'direct' power feed. Then flex the cable to see if the problem occurs.

Second, using a 'test' lamp, probe the concerned circuit on the 7 way on the LR, does it stay lit or flash?

I would expect the LR to have an 'adapter' to handle converting the lighting circuits for trailer operation. If it does, that device may be acting up and you can see it via test #2 above.

If the problem is with the trailer wiring, that should be indicated with test #1 above. The problem could be in the 'umbilical', 7 way, or in the junction box inside the AS where the 'umbilical' is routed to. On ours it is a black plastic box with the word "BERG" formed into the case. If there is water inside that box, or a short of some type, it could be found there...

Happy hunting!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lehi , Utah
Channing,

I just tested the 7-way on the trailer and I think I may have found an issue. I used a test light and connected to the power on the 7-way plug and grounded to the frame of the trailer, this should have turned the test light on, but it didn't. Everything else tested fine. I'm going to test the TV next, but I think there is an issue with the ground on the AS.

Ray
Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondFitz View Post
Channing,

I just tested the 7-way on the trailer and I think I may have found an issue. I used a test light and connected to the power on the 7-way plug and grounded to the frame of the trailer, this should have turned the test light on, but it didn't. Everything else tested fine. I'm going to test the TV next, but I think there is an issue with the ground on the AS.

Ray
Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lehi , Utah
I tested the TV and everything that I tested worked. I followed the 7-way 'umbilical' back under the trailer, where I found 2 copper wires that were bolted to the frame. They looked a little corroded, don't know if that could be the issue?? Also, looked in the cab under the street side seat where all the wires appear to be located. Everything appeared to look ok, I'll have to do some more digging tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:34 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
One of our customers had this issue with a Land Rover. I think he ended up getting the tow harness adapter for/from Volkswagen to stop it.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lehi , Utah
I've already tried the Curt and E-Trailer adapter, neither worked.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:35 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Raymond,
Good job! Yes, corrosion is bad. Remove, clean well, you must have continuity from 7-way ground to FRAME of AS. Also, continuity from TV frame to AS frame when connected.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lehi , Utah
Well I'm at a loss again, I cleaned the corrosion, connected the trailer to the LR3 and it was blink city. LOL I even grounded the LR3 and the trailer with a wire just to really make sure everything was grounded. Still no success.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
In would look inside the 7way. Then put a continuity light (test) on the light circuit contact. Do you ft steady or flashing light?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lehi , Utah
So here is the latest that I'm found out, the LR3 is constantly sending a pulse to the taillights on the trailer about 2 pulses per/second. Just putting a resistor inline will not do the trick, we proved this by using the e-trailer adapter which has 100 ohm resistors on each of the brake and tail lights, plus I added another 6 ohm 50 watt resistor on the tail light which had no effect. What we discovered was that we would need at least 220 ohms inline, but we would also need a transistor to control where the current went. This would act as a shunt. When the pulse happens we would need to shunt the signal to the 220 ohm resister and ground. When we press on the brake or turn the turn signal on we want the signal to go to the LED. So now I'm looking for the transistor and the 220 ohm resister. One step closer to having this fixed.

Ray
Old 06-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ray, that "fix" you seek is within the "adapter" for your lighting. Have you verified the one you have is "working" properly?

A question I should have asked.... I presume the "flashing"'is on the "running /'marker light" circuit?

Hope we are not working on the wrong circuit...
Old 08-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lehi , Utah
Well I'm happy to report that I've fixed the flashing LED's issue on our LR3.

I'm going to take some pictures so that other owns of Land Rover LR3 with this same issue don't waste money on expensive adapters that may or may not work. The entire fix cost $13.95, that is once I understood what was happening.

Here is a quick video of our Airstream with the right side fixed and the left side blinking.

Airstream 2014 23D 2006 LR3 Flashing LED fixed.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sweeeeet!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #16

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondFitz View Post
Well I'm happy to report that I've fixed the flashing LED's issue on our LR3.

I'm going to take some pictures so that other owns of Land Rover LR3 with this same issue don't waste money on expensive adapters that may or may not work. The entire fix cost $13.95, that is once I understood what was happening.

Here is a quick video of our Airstream with the right side fixed and the left side blinking.

Airstream 2014 23D 2006 LR3 Flashing LED fixed.
What did you do to fix it? My wife and I are considering a 22 Sport or 19 FC and have a 2008 LR3 that the Land Rover Dealer said would happen as well with Airstream LED lights. Another question: when did Land Rover switch over to LED lights and maybe we'll just buy an older Airstream with good old fashion lights.
BeachGoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lehi , Utah
I wired in a relay in the taillight of the Airstream. It was really easy to do and totally fixed the issue. Here is a link to the relay that I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Genssi 30/40 AMP Auto LED Light Bar Relay Wiring Harness SPDT 12V 40A (Pack of 5)

Amazon $13.81

You have to take the taillight off and wire a relay for each light. Like I said it was super easy to do once I figured out what the problem was.

Ray
Old 01-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
The issue is that Bosch's electronics were not LED aware, ie, it thinks the lights are out since the LED current is so low.

My Cayenne does the same thing and here's my fix: 7-Way Flat Pin to 7-Flat Pin Adapter with LED Lamp Out By-Pass for European Vehicles

See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
We just noticed this issue with our 2016 Chevy Colorado. Turn signal when activated flashes strongly on the trailer in the correct direction and weakly on the opposite side. This is same for both left and right. Hazards, markers and brake lights work correctly. Brake lights and turn signal simultaneously work correctly. Removed and reinserted the 7-way several times but no changes. I have di-electric lube applied the 7-way terminals but that shouldn’t be a problem right? I feel safe towing because it’s still a very strong turn signal but would rather correct the problem.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
The issue is that Bosch's electronics were not LED aware, ie, it thinks the lights are out since the LED current is so low.

My Cayenne does the same thing and here's my fix: 7-Way Flat Pin to 7-Flat Pin Adapter with LED Lamp Out By-Pass for European Vehicles

See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So this device worked for you? I bought one but it made no difference for me on my Audi, so I just accept that the lights flicker endlessly when connected...which only happens when it is parked in front of my house. I figure it will, hopefully, reduce the risk of someone clipping the trailer in the dark.

The other option is to wire in resistors to increase the load on the right/left circuits.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote