Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
LED Tail Light Conversion Kit / '72 Trade Wind

Hi - Does anyone have experience with the LED tail light conversion kits?

I have converted the tail lights on my '72 Trade Wind using one of the available kits that includes white reverse lights and red turn/stop/running lights. I also replaced the original power leads (pigtail) inside the original socket (2 black wires) terminating in 2 separate contacts inside the socket on a spring-loaded plate.

The turn/stop LED light has white and red wires coming off the back, terminating inside a plug with 2 contacts on the bottom of the base...one for turn/stop light and one for running light.

I have made sure the power pigtail is inserted correctly, with the tab inserted into the slot on the side of the original socket. I also made sure that the new LED light plug is inserted correctly, and that the contacts on the bottom of the LED plug are lining up with the power lead contacts.

Problem: When I apply power from the R/L turn/stop connection on the 7-pin (hooked up to my TV/umbilical with ignition on or started) to the black wire corresponding to the turn/stop side of the LED plug, I get turn/hazard/brake, but no running light.

Today, I tried connecting a separate power feed from my running light circuit to the black wire corresponding to the running light side of the LED plug. Upon testing, I got a running light and signal/hazard, but no brake. And, the signal for turn/hazard fed back through my running light circuit, causing the LED running lights on the sides/front/back of the AS to flash.

Question: With these kits, is the ground achieved through the physical connection of the socket to the light housing/body? Will I achieve the desired result by running a separate power feed from the running light circuit on the 7-pin to the corresponding black wire. Or will the whole thing blow up if I apply power to both connections on the light??

Thanks for your help!!
Happy Streaming!

A '72 Trade Wind Named "Mad Men"
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Solution

The LED tail light conversion kit requires a separate power feed from the 7-pin to the running light side of the kit (the other black wire). The ground is achieved through the physical connection of socket to the housing/shell. I ran the new line back to the RH running wire and then over to the LH running wire.

Everything works great now (with the exception of a tiny amount of bleed back into the upper running lights when the TV ignition is on. Might be able to fix that with a diode somewhere in the line....but at this point, doesn't bother me. Or it might be a defect in the isolation of the brake feed and the running feed inside the kit. Either way....I consider it a success at this point.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Have either tried a different flasher unit for your LED's? Seems like the guy with LED4RV.com has one specifically designed for use with LED rear lights. Guessing that the power consumption is so low from LED replacements cause all sorts of headaches.

I haven't gotten that far with my Airstream motorhome, but I did purchase the flasher unit already.

Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote