Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
LED Strip lighting w/ 12v transformer

I have a set of 12v LED lights I would like to put on the outside of our Airstream, just below the rolled up awning. I see these installed and I like how they look. Some, including mine, have the option of colors and traveling lights also. My question arises on the installation. The ones I have are designed to operate on a 120v circuit and are powered through a transformer reducing the voltage to 12v. Can I eliminate the transformer and directly power the lights using the trailers 12v power. I can obtain the 12v at one of the fantastic fans and run the wires to the outside from the fan housing. If this will work I should be able to run with and install.

ThanX all. See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
it depends. If the 110 VAC transformer also controls the color and other features, it may not be just a transformer...if there is a box the transformer plugs into that actually controls the LEDs, then check the input and see how it is marked. The standard generally indicates the voltage, whether it is AC or DC, and the polarity of the plug. Its usually molded into the plastic.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
I did that on the inside of the trailer. The Phillips unit (?) has an adapter that plugs into the outlet that drops the voltage to 12v, and from that plugs into the controller box. I just stripped the 12v adapter box (plugin) off the cable, took out a 12v cigarette lighter and spliced these wires into it. Plug that into the controller box and it works fine.

Any electrician will probably, and rightfully, tell me that I'm going to burn the trailer down - so take my advice with a grain of salt.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm with you. I know enough about electricity to get in trouble. But I haven't burned my house down yet. Blown a breaker or 2 but that's it. I think that's how it works. A plug in transformer and then to a controller with a remote button. So if I take the transformer out of the loop should work but I'll look closer at the specs on the transformer when I open the box.

ThanX

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
all my LED add on use the 12 V circuit. thus i did not need the 110V -12 adapter
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v