Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
LED replacements/markers

I received LED replacements for the light mounted on the jack post and part of my marker lights. I wanted better illumination and feel that is what I'm going to get. The reverse/cargo light has 14 LEDs and they are sealed by the lower section which is also clear. The cover is the standard bullseye configuration. Here are a few shots. The result is a brighter/whiter light onto the Hensley and truck receiver. By the way, it is almost 6 p.m. and rainey as I take and post these pictures.

Next week I'll start with the 2 front amber markers and 2 of the 5 red rear markers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED 001.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	19597   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED 002.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	19598  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED 003.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	19599  

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
_

. , .
davidz71......

you replaced that wimpy light on the jack with an led? cool....

was this made specifically for that application? or is it a marker light that you fit in the same spot?

be sure to take photos of the next light change during the process....

some of us need visuals......

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Looks awesome!

I replaced all of my amber and red clearance lights with these LED lights.
It looks sooooo cool when they are all on!
I also replaced the tail light bulbs with some right-angle 15-LED replacements!
I did not have to do this, I just wanted to "Pimp my ride"!
I would not have a new A/S to save my life cuz my Argosy just looks too pimped out!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I forgot to mention that I purchased the marker lights from L.E.D.-R.-US. The clear marker was listed under the reverse and cargo light section while the others were under clearance lights. They are all the same size externally so they fit the previously used clear marker perfectly.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
LED's are COOL! literally!

Craig -

What is the tongue jack that is on your trailer?? Is the jack a square housing? Or is that a add on that make the housing at the light mounting point a square to provide access for wiring? Inquiring minds, you know?

PatersonToo -

The LED right angle replacements you mentioned. Are they a plug in for the 9075/ 9074 bulbs, or are they otherwise?? Where did you get them? And How much?? Inquiring minds??

LOVE this forum!!!!

See ya....

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Craig -

What is the tongue jack that is on your trailer?? Is the jack a square housing? Or is that a add on that make the housing at the light mounting point a square to provide access for wiring? Inquiring minds, you know?

PatersonToo -

The LED right angle replacements you mentioned. Are they a plug in for the 9075/ 9074 bulbs, or are they otherwise?? Where did you get them? And How much?? Inquiring minds??

LOVE this forum!!!!

See ya....

Ciao

Axel
It is an H & H Engineering Super Jack. The shaft is round and the moulded piece fits around the face of the shaft. It is held on with hose clamps top and bottom. The middle section is puffed out and has a flat surface to mount the light. I'm not sure where the PO got the mount but I have run across it in a catalog once before.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 04-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Excella
manchester , UK
Marker Light replacement

Hello All

when replacing the marker lights with the LED replacements was there any modifications needed ? or do the replacements go straight in with no mods?

regards thripplewood.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
A few modifications...

Thripplewood -

I also did the entire trailer marker light swap out with LED's. It looks TERRIFIC, like pattersontoo said! It is almost reason enough to put the flasher in after dark... just to see that baby light up!!!!

I used the LED-R-US lights. They are basically a striaght swap.

I did do a couple of mods based on light location. I will try to explain here since I can't get the photo upload to work.... I need help with that, if anyone can assist me.

Back to the lights... The LED's are sealed unit, which is really great - no more water worries.

I will speak to the LED-R-Us lights from this point forward, as that is what I used.

For the amber side markers, the hole/ wire exit point on the trailer did not exactly match the lights pre-determined, pre-molded recess. Therefor I took an air-grinder to the back and made a 'new' recess that allowed to the wire to exit the trailer and fold behind the light.

At this point I should mention that the 'factory' glob of Vulcum ( on my trailer!) was somewhat tough to pull though the factory hole. This stuff was STILL gooey and pliable. Patience and a few pokes inward with a piano wire ( too loosen the hold) and out it came. As the wires were fed back in, I also put a glob of Vulcum on the inbound wires and a small glob over the exit point. Hoping for no water issues - from there at least!

Also, with the lights, the way they were shipped, there was a plugin connector for the + wire which I clipped off. Soldered the + connection from the trailer. Bingo. Never a worry in the future.

That brings me to the neg. side of this marker lights. The way SilverToy was wired, there was a neg. wire that was actually wired to the previous lights. The 'new sealed units' use a simple neg terminal at the screw location. My solution to this was to take the neg. wire and feed it in the recess/ channel that was provided. There is a channel that is molded all the way around the unit.

To address the wire itself going to the screw location, I used the same grinder as above, to provide a small recess/ relief in the rear of the light going to the screw hole - a channel for the wire to the screw hole. This worked very well.

Again, small! dollup of Vulcum on the screw locations so hopefully no leaks there either.

Hope this helps someone thinking about this great update and modification. Easy, great enhancement and fun!

Makes you trailer look better too!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote