Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
LED overload … turn down the lights!

I have a Bambi 16-footer (2016), which has energy-efficient LED lighting. Great, except … you could do surgery in there! These things are bright.

Most of the lights are dual, so I can turn on one side and keep the other side dark. That helps, but …

… the light color is super-cool … very white, a bit of blue … nothing warm about these lights, and not very cabin-like. More “Star Trek” light saber than campfire.

Is there a way to swap out the little burners for something warmer? Can sacrifice lumen firepower — got plenty to spare — if need be.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
LED overload … turn down the lights!

Generally, you can swap out bright led's for a warmer bulb. Just find out what type of socket/electrical connection you have for each type of light you'd like to change. There is the possibility of installing dimmer switches to control the brightness of the light(s). Check google for businesses that handle LED lighting
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
My inner nerd is screaming! Star Trek = phasers, Star Wars = light sabers and blasters.

I've seen the fixtures in the new Sports but I haven't seen one taken apart. Is the LED array hard-wired in or does it connect like an old-fashioned bulb? If it's the latter, you can simply find LEDs with a more-pleasing color temperature. If they're hard-wired AND significantly brighter than you need, you could put filtering gels inside the light fixtures.

http://eventprotraining.com/2015/08/...iltering-gels/

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
… you could do surgery in there! These things are bright.
I love that!
I get it.
LED's in general don't do well with dimmers.
However, something with a warmer color temperature might seem less harsh. 3400 is considered incandescent like, while 5200 is daylight. Most folks don't think about it because your miraculous eye adapts to changes in color temperature. Go out with a video camera and suddenly every light is a different color!
Try this site and see if bulbs of lower power (lumens) or lower color temperature are available.

or try this with gels:
http://www.diyphotography.net/ikea-h...tography-gels/
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
"Star Trek" ... Ha! Sorry to slip my nerd ... I was thinking "Star Wars," for sure, but ... keyboard fingers went to the wrong movie in my head.

Thanks for the video. That was interesting.

I'll check out the company's Web site and see what they have. It appears from the video that it offers warmer LED "bulbs."

I don't yet know if the lights in the Airstream can be fiddled with.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
I would try both the dimming switch and bulb. You can dim a bright white light, but a warmer light may not be bright enough.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Dimmers can be expensive and they consume power, defeating the main advantage of LEDs. You would need a dimmer on each separate lighting circuit if you went that route. Suggest you remove some diffuser covers and find out exactly what kind of LEDs you have. In some cases you will find a fixture actually has more than one LED "bulb" in it, and you can achieve your objective of less light simply by removing one of the LEDs. You won't know till you try. Go for it!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Dunkirk , Maryland
Gels can fix the tone and brightness

We installed photo gels to change the color and added 2 layers to "dim" the brightness some. Works great!

We used a gel made by "Lee" and the color was "marlene" I believe.
Munnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munnik View Post
We installed photo gels to change the color and added 2 layers to "dim" the brightness some. Works great!

We used a gel made by "Lee" and the color was "marlene" I believe.
Yep....works perfectly for us too. Not only can you tune the intensity and color temperature but also can add color "atmosphere" to your trailer. We like our blue shower and overhead cabinets in blues, oranges and greens.

It is simple to cut out round inserts from the sheets of gels and easily pry open your light fixtures for installation.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Fallon , Nevada
Lightbulb Only if it's a poor design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Dimmers can be expensive and they consume power, defeating the main advantage of LEDs.
A proper switch-mode dimmer should consume infinitesimal power. A proper LED dimmer should be a device that switches the LED current on and off at a high rate, say a thousand to 10 million times per second. A good transistor switch should dissipate very little power. like a conventional light switch. It's a crummy design if it doesn't.
Any power dissipated by the switch should be more than offset by current reduction through the LED. Particularly, because the eye responds logarithmically, reducing the current by a factor of ten will make the light appear half as bright. Reducing the power consumption to 1/10th is a very big deal; if your dimmer consumes that much power, it's really, really crummy!

Quote:
You would need a dimmer on each separate lighting circuit if you went that route.
Quite true. I'd put each dimmer inside the light fixture it's controlling.

Quote:
Suggest you remove some diffuser covers and find out exactly what kind of LEDs you have. In some cases you will find a fixture actually has more than one LED "bulb" in it, and you can achieve your objective of less light simply by removing one of the LEDs.
I've never seen the fixtures that Airstream is using but I hope they aren't using discrete "bulbs" and standard incandescent holders. That's a very, very poor way and should not be something that a manufacturer of expensive RVs would use.
Incandescent lamps make their light by getting very hot. Their fixtures must be thermally insulating to keep the filament hot and the rest from melting or catching fire.
LEDs are semiconductor devices. Heat is the mortal enemy of semiconductors. A properly-designed LED fixture should conduct heat away from the LED, just the opposite of an incandescent fixture.
I have yet to see an LED fixture that I approve of.
Scorge-ION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Led

Try LED4RV.com. They have different options in bulbs (12 led vs 9 led bulbs) as well as bright white vs warm white. They know AS very well.
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:43 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorge-ION View Post
I've never seen the fixtures that Airstream is using but I hope they aren't using discrete "bulbs" and standard incandescent holders. That's a very, very poor way and should not be something that a manufacturer of expensive RVs would use.
Incandescent lamps make their light by getting very hot. Their fixtures must be thermally insulating to keep the filament hot and the rest from melting or catching fire.
LEDs are semiconductor devices. Heat is the mortal enemy of semiconductors. A properly-designed LED fixture should conduct heat away from the LED, just the opposite of an incandescent fixture.
I have yet to see an LED fixture that I approve of.
Sorry to confuse you, Scorge. I put bulb inside quotes, cuz I know LEDs are not really bulbs in the same way as a conventional incandescent bulb, but I didn't know the proper techie name for the little base thing to which one or more diodes are attached so that you can replace them in the unlikely event of "burn out" (correct term?) without replacing the entire fixture. Some (not all) light fixtures have more than one removable LED base thing (?) inside. Pull one out for less light or replace all the LED base things with ones that have less intense light emitting and color rendering. Jeez, I hope that's clear.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
My 2013 Flying Cloud came with dimmer switches to control the light intensity for the front and rear overhead LED lights. I am assuming they were a standard build item, since I found part number 512496-01, Switch, Slide dimmer, 12V Blk in the Airstream parts book.

Switch is quite expensive at Silver Trailer Supply but it may be cheaper than replacing the LEDs. Plus, the dimmer would provide more flexibility.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
My 2013 Flying Cloud came with dimmer switches to control the light intensity for the front and rear overhead LED lights. I am assuming they were a standard build item, since I found part number 512496-01, Switch, Slide dimmer, 12V Blk in the Airstream parts book.

Switch is quite expensive at Silver Trailer Supply but it may be cheaper than replacing the LEDs. Plus, the dimmer would provide more flexibility.

Greg
The OP has a Sport, however, so some of his lights may be switched only on the fixture. They use 2-light fixtures with "Off-One-Both" switches in the middle of the fixture for at least some of the lights.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #15

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
The problem with a dimmer on an LED is the color range stays the same. You will get a lower intensity of the same blue light, won't become more red.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Here's the burner

Got a minute to get into the Bambi, and here's what I found in the light above the sink.

All of the lights are the same.

Looks technical!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream LED.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	282059  
Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
From the look of the inside of your fixture, I'd say your best bet is filter gels (one of the suggestion early in the thread) and those will reduce the output from the fixture as well, so get some gels and see which ones work well for you.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Dimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I have a Bambi 16-footer (2016), which has energy-efficient LED lighting. Great, except … you could do surgery in there! These things are bright.

Most of the lights are dual, so I can turn on one side and keep the other side dark. That helps, but …

… the light color is super-cool … very white, a bit of blue … nothing warm about these lights, and not very cabin-like. More “Star Trek” light saber than campfire.

Is there a way to swap out the little burners for something warmer? Can sacrifice lumen firepower — got plenty to spare — if need be.
Last week I installed dimmers on two reading lights, one in the bedroom and one in the dining area. Like anything else, it is difficult learning, but once done, it's pretty easy. Snowy showed on this forum putting a dimmer in that uses a remote, which is pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2634.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	322107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	322108  

Name:	IMG_2656.jpg