Old 05-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I installed LEDs sourced through EBay from Hong Kong over a year ago and have not had a failure yet. Polarity is an issue but super easy to figure out by simply testing before completing the install. I did both interior (warm white) and exterior (color matched to lens).

Color matched? Matching the color allows all the light generated by the LED to pass through the lens. White is full spectrum and eliminating all but red or yellow reduces total output.

SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
We are hoping to do the led upgrade when we can afford it. How do you like the overall effect?

Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I went with the 'white' LED's, and it definitely gives it a different aura. The effect looks like it is colder, but is a bit sterile as well. The light is a big harsher, and contrast is better. Because we have a CCD, the interior aluminum and LED's give it a high-tech look.

Since there are so many lights... it is easy to experiment with getting the right effect. Really... my nighttime lighting requirements can probably be met with 2 LED's... there is definite lighting overkill in Airstreams...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
@Skatiero - I changed 25 bulbs inside to 36 pad, warm white LEDs and neither the wife or I have any issues with the outcome: same light color but more illumination.

I wear contacts as I have terrible vision and was concerned because I knew the bright white LEDs caused headaches and/or light halos during prior exposures. That phenomenon never arose post installation.

If you don't look directly at the fixture lens, the output appears almost identical to the original filament bulb. However, looking at the lens you can make out the little individual diodes glowing through the plastic. The energy savings is unbelievable: six LED fixtures draw the same as one of the old filament bulbs.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #19

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
We are hoping to do the led upgrade when we can afford it. How do you like the overall effect?
We've found that warm white is better inside, and the bright white,(clear lens), for the exterior. As noted, match bulb color to lens for the exterior tail and clearance lights.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I redid the whole interior in LEDs. I agree with Bob, warm white is best, EXCEPT, we like bright white over work areas, like the under cabinet on the kitchen counter; the light above the bath mirror (for makeup & stuff); and the reading lights above the bed and couch.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I installed warm white led strip lights with a transformer for when I am on AC.

I now realize on solar power the "transformer block" takes too much power for my inverter. For my existing batteries and inverter which will be upgraded shortly.

If I want to wire them directly to the (12v) system.
  • Any suggestions on that wiring? Do I have to go all the way back to the battery and run off the positive and negative?
  • I want to put an in-line fuse on the hot side? Any size suggestions?
  • The specs for the lights use 32 watts for 16 ft of warm white lights.
  • I do have a dimmer in line on both units.
Many thanks,

Life Is Not A Dress Rehersal
It's okay to have too much fun
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote