Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
LED vs Halogen

Here's a picture of what we found AFTER taking down the puck light and replacing the G4 halogen with the LED. I am in contact with a manufacturer, who made the LED seen in the picture, in Florida who is now talking to Airstream about using their product. As far as I am concerned, after seeing this, these lights will NOT be used until we replace them with LEDs. [IMG]aoladp://MA23550692-0043/DSC01478.JPG[/IMG]

Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
[IMG]aoladp://MA23550692-0043/DSC01478.JPG[/IMG]

Old 05-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Guess the picture didn't come thru, But the vinyl was "toasting" around the slit for the wires under the light
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
Fenghuang,

If you could - Please post a picture with the LED on so we can see how bright it is.

Thanks
Larry asked me to take some pictures of the LEDs at night showing their actual light which I have done as seen below. He also sends these additional notes:

We are very happy with the LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com. The running lights, step light, and patio light were replaced 7/08 and are working out well. Since then, their price has been reduced.

The new ceiling LEDs, installed on 4/09, are not “showroom” bright as were the original 10-watt halogens. In the photo below of the rear bedroom and vanity area, a comparison of Halogen vs. LED lights can be seen by looking at the blue beach towel on the bed. Over the left side of the bed, the ceiling still has halogen lights. Note the over-exposure (lighter colors) on the beach towel as compared to the right side (darker colors), which is illuminated by the ceiling LED near the Vanity Sink.

The intensity of illumination is ample without much battery drain as we dry camp most of the time. Flickering LED stick candles or real votive candles are enjoyed when work light is not needed. The flickering golden glow of LED or real candles reflecting off of the trailer’s interior aluminum ceiling makes for a cozy ambiance.

For the LED stove top exhaust fanlight, I have attached a LED array with double sided tape to the inside top of the light fixture compartment. I like the illumination intensity and will be using the baton base version of this LED to replace the over-the-kitchen counter and bathroom incandescent bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0035 Ceiling & reading LEDs.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	521.5 KB
ID:	79834   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0075 Stove & rear lighting.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	79835  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0082 Vanity sink LEDs.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	79836   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033 LED reading light.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	79837  

Old 05-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #117
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Big Sky , Montana
the light looks really good. is the retrofit which you did complicated? did you have to change out the fixtures? any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaint View Post
the light looks really good. is the retrofit which you did complicated? did you have to change out the fixtures? any guidance would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forums, Alaint... If you look at earlier posts in this thread, you'll see that the LEDs are direct replacements for the halogen bulbs in the newer AS with these types of overhead recessed lights...you just take the halogens out and plug the LEDs in...we did the same thing on our 06 19' Bambi...in the front half...but we use cool white in ours instead of warm white...

PS: We got our LEDs last year through Lew Farber ("Lewster") and have had not any problems or failures so far... We intend to replace the rest of the bulbs at some point, a well as the incandescent blubs above the sink and dinette.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks alaint and TBRich for your comments.

Alaint, see Larry's post #106 (previous page) for details on removing and replacing the inner metal ring of the ceiling lights... otherwise, as noted by TBRich, it is pretty much a straight forward replacement of one light for the other.

As Larry mentioned in his post #106, the LEDs shown there and in my post #116 are Warm White LEDs.

Another benefit of LEDs in the interior is that they don't put out the high heat that Halogens do, which is helpful when we are running the airconditioner to reduce the outside temperature of 95 degrees to a more comfortable 75 degrees.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
To replace the incandescent lamps with LED's from Superbright, you have to use double sided tape to stick them to the inside of the fixture. It says you can just rest them on the plastic lens, so they can't be too hot, but just in case, I taped them. We just replaced 2 of the four in the bathroom and only use those and there's plenty of light.

Gene
Old 05-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Here are some g4 lights found on line, made in china, very inexpensive wanted to see if anyone had any opinion good or bad of these . manufacture will ship, pay with pay pal.

JC G4 Base LED Replacement Light Bulbs, 21 LEDs, Cool white, 12V [G4-21LED-CW-12V] - $4.40 : LED Light Bulbs, Shop Online
Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
6000K color temperature might be too blue for some. I know that ARTSTREAMs 3100K "white" LEDs looked really great to me, very white, not yellow at all.Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #123
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
You can contact: earthleddistribution@earthled.com for G4 LED replacements. They sent me one to try. They have cool or warm white and are here in the USA, Florida to be exact. After seeing the vinyl under the gold "puck" that was turning brown from the halogen heat, we have decided to go with LEDs in these lights. This company is talking with Airstream about using their lights. When I first contacted them they were not making the 12" LED light to replace the fluorescent tubes but after checking, Mark said they shouldn't have a problem doing it.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #124
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
Here are some g4 lights found on line, made in china, very inexpensive wanted to see if anyone had any opinion good or bad of these . manufacture will ship, pay with pay pal.

JC G4 Base LED Replacement Light Bulbs, 21 LEDs, Cool white, 12V [G4-21LED-CW-12V] - $4.40 : LED Light Bulbs, Shop Online
I have not seen any feedback about that dealer's LEDs.

That is a great price for cool white with 40-60 lumens. The Super Bright LEDs are also from China. My G-4 warm white high power LEDs as seen in Silvergate's photos emit 120 lumens.

I am eager to hear about the experience of others with different brands/dealers of LEDs.

We are camping at the beach today. Happy trails to all,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
The LED that EarthLED sent me was the warm white and I believe it has 125 lumen output. They have a cool white that is 150 lumen. So far I really like the one we are trying out. They aren't cheap BUT the G4s are $6 each and so are the fluorescent tubes that seem to go out once a year. So in the long run the LEDs are cheaper and last alot longer
Old 05-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
The G4 LED replacements just plug in the same as the G4 bulb, nothing else needs to be done with them.

Tags
ccd, led, lighting