Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Franklin , Tennessee
I'd stick with 5 watt halogens

Having been down the road with G4 based lights, halogen, and led replacements, I'd stick with 5 watt halogens, and replace the 10 watt bulbs that came with your unit. Buy the 5 watters on e-bay. The LED's simply don't put out the light and you need to be very careful that they don't over heat and have good dc voltage (meaning a very good regulated supply). Gerry
nangoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Gerry--

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still looking for lights and like the flexiblity of the good old halogen.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When I was on the factory tour last week I saw a box of LED light that be replacements for the halogens in a Safari. We asked about them, thinking they would be used in upcoming units. They said they tried them but they didn't provide enough light so they won't be using them.

I like the option of a lot of light when plugged in so I've gone with a few LED fixtures from West Marine. I use them when I'm concerned about saving power. They provide just enough light to make breakfast and not wake up Sam.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #104
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Just got back from the Airstream dealer in Eugene, OR. We were driving back from Ashland and decide to swing by. I really like the small halogon lights in the newer AR, specially the spring loaded mounting design.

Does anyone know who makes them? I found a similar design at ITC marine

Overhead Halogen Lighting - Marine
Old 10-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Xenons, too

Ron,
We removed and replaced the 10w halogens from the four overhead bins and the four reading lights. We installed 5w xenon bulbs in these. We read the xenons generate less heat (good in itself) and may therefore last longer. We use the overhead bins for ambient lighting and are very happy with the 1/2 lighting level and even more with the reduced power load on our batteries.

We're going to reinstall the 10w halogens in the two aircraft style reading lights at either end of the sofa. When Debbie is needlepointing or either of us are reading small print the brighter light is well worth the extra load of 10 more watts total.

The bathroom light has two bulbs and a three-position switch -- off, one, two. We changed the one bulb to 5 watts. The other, I think, is 20 watts. So showering or toileting one can choose between low light and very bright light. And the resultant battery consumption difference.

The dozen or so overhead 10w halogens we use only for housekeeping or searching for that lost aspirin on the floor. They stay off otherwise. So we've kept them at full power.

We just added a new task light to our lifespace -- an Ott-Lite (OTL13TCG). Has a 13watt twin tube fluorescent bulb in a hinged cover, uses 110 volts. Turns on the light when you raise the cover. Lamp sits on sofa arm or dinette or front window shelf. Gives the most light of all we have. Working out great so far for when we are on shore power.

LEDs may eventually become inexpensive enough to warrant replacing the overhead bin lights, but does not seem likely. We are extremely unlikely to burn most of these xenons or halogens out as infrequently as we use them. The xenons are highly rated for hours lifetime. We could use less light in the overhead bins but the led prices aren't attracting us. Nowhere else would we see anywhere worth reducing our light levels.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
LED ceiling lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
I have never used the Superbright LED G4 side pin bulb. They might have a wider angle emiter at 120 degrees beam pattern (listed). I can say that the IMTRA bulb has 8 emitters, a 60 or 90 degree beam pattern (I have the 90 degree model) and a 3 year warranty for just a few bucks more a bulb.
I just replaced my G4 ceiling lights using the Superbright LEDs G4-WHP10-D warm white 3100k, which cost $15 each.

As shown, the inner metal ring containing the glass lens is pried loose and partially out, with difficulty using the finger nails (to avoid scratches on the metal), and then easily pried out using a flat blade screwdriver.

Once the LED is installed, the 2 wide opposing slots (see photo of lens rim on black pillow) in the rim tabs of the inner metal ring must match up and fit over the 2 fixture support bars (seen in bottom left photo at 7:00 of the rim space) to allow the metal rim to be matched and pushed back into the fixture.

The G4 10 watt halogen reading lights were replaced with G4-WHP15-T $17each.

The wedge base incandescent bulb in the over the stove/exhaust fan light fixture was replaced with T10-PCB-WHP9 White LED Lamp (warm white 3100K). $22 each

I will be replacing my bathroom and over the kitchen counter lights with
1156-PCB-xWHP9 3100K WARM WHITE. $22/lamp

We are very happy with the savings in battery draw, the amount of light transmission, and reduced heat emission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling light fixture rim partially pried out.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	79598   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling light fixture rim with tabs.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	79599  

Name:	G4 halogen 10 watt ceiling light replaced with LED.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	79600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed LED ceiling light.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	79601  

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Franklin , Tennessee
LED Ceiling lights

Good luck (sincerely).

I have been very disappointed with LED "Arrays" in general.

It may be true that LED's will last forever, but what they don't tell you is that when they're used in an array, on a printed circuit board like you're using (and I have used) the assembly fails......individual LED's begin to flicker and eventually burn out.

If you look at traffic lights you'll also notice some of the individual LEDs have failed in their arrays.

I have tried them with G4 bases as you have (two different vendors) as well as using them (twice) over my entrance door with a standard 12 volt automotive lamp socket and all have failed.

I think a combination of heat and voltage get to these things and in an Airstream the heat in the top of the trailer dooms them to short life and when one LED fails the voltage imbalance in the rest of the printed circuit causes the rest to fail.

Gerry
nangoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #108
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Fenghuang,

If you could - Please post a picture with the LED on so we can see how bright it is.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
I just replaced my G4 ceiling lights using the Superbright LEDs G4-WHP10-D warm white 3100k, which cost $15 each.

As shown, the inner metal ring containing the glass lens is pried loose and partially out, with difficulty using the finger nails (to avoid scratches on the metal), and then easily pried out using a flat blade screwdriver.

Once the LED is installed, the 2 wide opposing slots (see photo of lens rim on black pillow) in the rim tabs of the inner metal ring must match up and fit over the 2 fixture support bars (seen in bottom left photo at 7:00 of the rim space) to allow the metal rim to be matched and pushed back into the fixture.

The G4 10 watt halogen reading lights were replaced with G4-WHP15-T $17each.

The wedge base incandescent bulb in the over the stove/exhaust fan light fixture was replaced with T10-PCB-WHP9 White LED Lamp (warm white 3100K). $22 each

I will be replacing my bathroom and over the kitchen counter lights with
1156-PCB-xWHP9 3100K WARM WHITE. $22/lamp

We are very happy with the savings in battery draw, the amount of light transmission, and reduced heat emission.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
As mentioned in post#76, above, and pictures in post#82 above, I installed (11) Dr. LED spot's in the ceiling, last June...

....well, I've recently had failured and 'dim' LED's in the cluster of each unit I installed! These units don't have a lot of 'hours' on them, and the failures all appeared in a short period of time last month...I sure that overtemp isn't the cause, as it's the winter months, and also, we don't freeze here, and I keep a 100 watt light burning 24/7 inside the trailer during the winter to keep the temp up a bit, and keep any moisture at bay...the temp hasn't really been below 50 f degrees all winter in there, and that shouldn't effect the LEDs....

...interestingly, last fall, Dr. LED announced it was no longer selling the units I had purchased, and that they've been replaced with a new design that has only three higher wattage LEDs...

I contacted Dr. LED, and was told I could return the failed units for replacements, but I'm insisting on the new units, as I believe i'll be back where I started with the 'old' style, multi LED units...they wouldn't admit any 'problems' with the old units, but there must be something going on there...bad imported LED's, perhaps???

I removed the old units last week, and am waiting for the replacements, so I can rewire and reinstall - another few hours work I hadn't planned on doing!

These things aren't cheap, almost $40's a pop, and one would think there would be some better testing done before selling...so much for the 'longer life' claim!....I don't mind the 'investment', with the lower amp drain on the battery bank, but all of them going to 'pot' is a little bit much, IMHO!

I'll let you know how it all works out, and take some new pic's then I get them installed...

I've now got all the marker lights, tail lights, lic plate lite and stop lights changed over to LED's, as well as two reading lights over the twin beds, two over the galley sink, two in the recessed fixtures forward, and an array in the fixture over the door, outside, and the outside round 'service' light under the awing.

I want to change the big lights in the bathroom, but will need some brighter units for that project!

I've spent a lot ot time and $'s on these LED conversions, but sadly, I fear they still aren't all they're cracked up to be, in some cases!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 AM   #110
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Because LED's are still a new technology, there are a lot of small companies making them, some good and some not. There are definitely some bad LED bulbs for sale as has been reported previously on the Forum. As first adopters, we all face the problem of trying to figure out which to buy and which to avoid. I got the ones to replace the halogens from lewster (he uses them himself in his trailer) and he recommended the Superbrights for the ones to replace the incandescents. It cost a lot and so far, no problems, but this is early in the time we're using them.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems Mexray. I know how expensive they are, though we paid no more than $22/lamp—the Superbrights. We paid less for the ones from lewster. I hope you get some satisfaction from Dr. LED and they return your money. And thanks for letting us know to avoid that company.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Mexray, sorry to hear of your bad experiences with LED's. Our popup has had the Superbrights for 3 years and our Airstream going on 2 years with no failures.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
I agree with Ahab, I've been using several different Superbright supplied bulbs for quite some time now without any failures. Great company!
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
LED vs Halogen

Here's a picture of what we found AFTER taking down the puck light and replacing the G4 halogen with the LED. I am in contact with a manufacturer, who made the LED seen in the picture, in Florida who is now talking to Airstream about using their product. As far as I am concerned, after seeing this, these lights will NOT be used until we replace them with LEDs. [IMG]aoladp://MA23550692-0043/DSC01478.JPG[/IMG]
Janssvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
[IMG]aoladp://MA23550692-0043/DSC01478.JPG[/IMG]
Old 05-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #115
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Guess the picture didn't come thru, But the vinyl was "toasting" around the slit for the wires under the light
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
Fenghuang,

If you could - Please post a picture with the LED on so we can see how bright it is.

Thanks
Larry asked me to take some pictures of the LEDs at night showing their actual light which I have done as seen below. He also sends these additional notes:

We are very happy with the LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com. The running lights, step light, and patio light were replaced 7/08 and are working out well. Since then, their price has been reduced.

The new ceiling LEDs, installed on 4/09, are not “showroom” bright as were the original 10-watt halogens. In the photo below of the rear bedroom and vanity area, a comparison of Halogen vs. LED lights can be seen by looking at the blue beach towel on the bed. Over the left side of the bed, the ceiling still has halogen lights. Note the over-exposure (lighter colors) on the beach towel as compared to the right side (darker colors), which is illuminated by the ceiling LED near the Vanity Sink.

The intensity of illumination is ample without much battery drain as we dry camp most of the time. Flickering LED stick candles or real votive candles are enjoyed when work light is not needed. The flickering golden glow of LED or real candles reflecting off of the trailer’s interior aluminum ceiling makes for a cozy ambiance.

For the LED stove top exhaust fanlight, I have attached a LED array with double sided tape to the inside top of the light fixture compartment. I like the illumination intensity and will be using the baton base version of this LED to replace the over-the-kitchen counter and bathroom incandescent bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0035 Ceiling & reading LEDs.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	521.5 KB
ID:	79834   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0075 Stove & rear lighting.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	79835  

Name:	DSC_0082 Vanity sink LEDs.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	79836   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033 LED reading light.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	79837  

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #117
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Big Sky , Montana
the light looks really good. is the retrofit which you did complicated? did you have to change out the fixtures? any guidance would be appreciated.
alaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaint View Post
the light looks really good. is the retrofit which you did complicated? did you have to change out the fixtures? any guidance would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forums, Alaint... If you look at earlier posts in this thread, you'll see that the LEDs are direct replacements for the halogen bulbs in the newer AS with these types of overhead recessed lights...you just take the halogens out and plug the LEDs in...we did the same thing on our 06 19' Bambi...in the front half...but we use cool white in ours instead of warm white...

PS: We got our LEDs last year through Lew Farber ("Lewster") and have had not any problems or failures so far... We intend to replace the rest of the bulbs at some point, a well as the incandescent blubs above the sink and dinette.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks alaint and TBRich for your comments.

Alaint, see Larry's post #106 (previous page) for details on removing and replacing the inner metal ring of the ceiling lights... otherwise, as noted by TBRich, it is pretty much a straight forward replacement of one light for the other.

As Larry mentioned in his post #106, the LEDs shown there and in my post #116 are Warm White LEDs.

Another benefit of LEDs in the interior is that they don't put out the high heat that Halogens do, which is helpful when we are running the airconditioner to reduce the outside temperature of 95 degrees to a more comfortable 75 degrees.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #120
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
To replace the incandescent lamps with LED's from Superbright, you have to use double sided tape to stick them to the inside of the fixture. It says you can just rest them on the plastic lens, so they can't be too hot, but just in case, I taped them. We just replaced 2 of the four in the bathroom and only use those and there's plenty of light.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccd, led, lighting