Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #323
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
LED pads heating up

I have replaced many of the interior light with LED pads. I noticed yesterday that the heat from some of them melted them off of the double stick backing tape. Anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #324
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
VA Beach , Virginia
Exclamation falling pads

LEDs only generate a VERY amount of heat, most likely it needed better surface prep.
like most tapes surface must be very clean no dirt,oil,or oxidization.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #325
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich60 View Post
LEDs only generate a VERY amount of heat, most likely it needed better surface prep.
like most tapes surface must be very clean no dirt,oil,or oxidization.
That depends. At work, I received samples of white and red LED rope lights a decade ago. I plugged them both into outlets in my office, and left them plugged in and turned on ever since.

The red ones never got hot, and are still working just fine over 10 years later. The white ones, on the other hand, overheated and scorched the plastic they were encased in, within about a year of being plugged in. The white ones have since been discarded as a potential fire hazard.

12vDC LED light fixtures are not the same as 120vAC rope lights, but the point remains, some LEDs do generate heat.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #326
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothayer1 View Post
I have replaced many of the interior light with LED pads. I noticed yesterday that the heat from some of them melted them off of the double stick backing tape. Anyone else had this problem?
Quite often, despite cleaning the surface well. I usually replace the included tape with 3M double sided tape and that holds just fine.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #327
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
LEDs don't generate the same heat as the equivalent brightness incandescent. But heat dissipation is a big deal for keeping them alive. Witness the elaborate heat sinks on the incandescent replacement bulbs. Much less heat to dissipate, which is why they are so efficient, but a much more difficult package to dissipate the heat from.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #328
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I installed 25 of the LED pads three years ago and have had only one tape failure. I don't think heat had anything to do with the failure as that particular light gets far less use than most of the others. It was easily resolved with double sided tape.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #329
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden View Post
LEDs don't generate the same heat as the equivalent brightness incandescent. But heat dissipation is a big deal for keeping them alive. Witness the elaborate heat sinks on the incandescent replacement bulbs. Much less heat to dissipate, which is why they are so efficient, but a much more difficult package to dissipate the heat from.
LED's use 10-15% of the power that incandescent bulbs use and therefore generate only 10-15% of the heat. I have not had any problem with my 36 smd light pads loosening up.

Dan
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #330
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
I installed 25 of the LED pads three years ago and have had only one tape failure. I don't think heat had anything to do with the failure as that particular light gets far less use than most of the others. It was easily resolved with double sided tape.
Yeah, I agree - I think the ones I've gotten just have cheap tape on them, and then put it in a trailer that's jostling its way down the road and it releases.

One thing working against any tape is that some fixtures don't have much flat surface area for the tape to adhere to. But, so far, with the 3M tape, I have a 100% success rate.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #331
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
LED's use 10-15% of the power that incandescent bulbs use and therefore generate only 10-15% of the heat.
Dan
I don't think there's a direct relationship—one can be more efficient at producing light with the power used and change the percentage, but I do agree that using far less power reduces heat generation a lot.

I used 2 sided tape on our LED's several years ago when I installed them—it all let go and the LED's have been resting (and bouncing) on the bottom of the fixtures ever since—and they all work.

Gene
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #332
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
There is a lots of variation in double sided tape products. I suggest using the version with a foam layer between the sticky faces. Stick it to the flat LED board first and then push it against the curved housing surface. You'll get more contact, plus an air space between the board and housing for cooling. You don't need a very wide strip, 1/2" will do. This stuff sticks incredibly well and might qualify as overkill:

Scotch, 1/2" x 75", Roll Heavy Duty, Mounting Tape, Double Faced, Use
Old 01-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #333
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just a note... The LED panels I have installed I used silicone sealant. I cover all the electronics with this so if an exterior fixture leaks, no damage occurs. These have gone 3 1/2 years with no failures.
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #334
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
I am beginning to replace all internal lighting with LED as well.

I found some 48 LED panels (warm white) on ebay that have wiring to replace 1156 based bulbs and have the 3M double back on them.

First off I replaced the 3 bulbs over the sink (76 Sovereignw/rear bath) by peeling off the tape and sticking them to the light housing. Gives off as much light as 2 40 watt incandescent bulbs in that area. The area over the stove was still dark and I found some 19 3/4" strip lights with V mount housing on ebay and got three of them. The V mounts are designed to go into a 90 deg roof/wall situation which the AS doesn't have so I cut a 1X4 down the center and from that cut out 3/4" square. I took Weldwood Contact Cement and glued the V housing to the block and screwed the block into the underside of the overhead cabinet, slid in the strip and ran +/- wires to the sink light and wired into that circuit. The V light is hidden behind the range vent housing so the lighting gives off nice indirect lighting and is nice and bright.

I have replaced all overhead bulbs with 1156 LED (18 chip) lights and the effect makes it look like flouescent lighting.

Have also procured some 5 meter lengths of 5050 and 5630 LED lights (12 V) and am thinking of doing a separate system on them utilizing a Astrom 7 A power supply with strip terminals that will be bracketed down and plug into the recepticle for the overhead microwave thusly when the shore line is hooked up there will be a separate power supply for all the additional lighting.

I can hook up eight circuits with two 4 post strip terminals that will be controlled by in line switches going to other areas. A 7 A power supply will run a lot of LEDs and if that doesn't work I have additional 10 A and a 20A backup power supply from my Ham gear (de AC4HT).

If anyone has run any of the strip lights (above) I would greatly appreciate hearing/seeing ideas.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #335
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
VA Beach , Virginia
Sounds like you got it planed.
I "Upgraded To LED lighting, However instead if Pads i removed the 1141 sockets from all the Ceiling , Bath , over the Bunks and Kitchen over the sink lights and used roll of Strip lights in the fixtures and replace the front "Reading Spot lights" with LED replacement bulbs ( Best price on Ebay).
now even with all lights running the panel battery load meter barely moves. Hope to get some pics up soon
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #336
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
jimrich60, or anyone else for that matter, how do you get the reading light fixtures out on a 76 Sovereign (ones over the curved windows at front)? Or I might use them if I can identify a LED replacement bulb but either way the switchs on both broke years ago with previous owner.

Neither of mine function and I am thinking of replacing them with LED strip lighting but for the life of me I can't figure how to get them out and going through overhead storage doesn't appear to be a option either.

With two of them I am thinking of doing a white strip across the front for reading off a switch from one side and a blue light strip next to that for a night light controlled off another switch.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement light? http?

Jimrich also when you did the strip light replacement in the overheads how did you do the corners or did you just kind of wrap the to face inwards or outwards to give light indirectly? I would love to see a pic of how you did that.

I was also thinking of use LED module 5630s that would allow a full circle of LEDS facing down under the shade and still use the 1141/1156 recepticles with lights in those as well.

Tags
ccd, led, lighting