Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #301
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm glad to hear the LED's sold by Airstream are holding up, but usually Airstream's prices are high and quality is not always the same. Going on 2 1/2 years (I think) and the LED's from Superbright have been fine.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #302
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
I'm glad to hear the LED's sold by Airstream are holding up, but usually Airstream's prices are high and quality is not always the same. Going on 2 1/2 years (I think) and the LED's from Superbright have been fine.

Gene
When I purchased from Airstream, I felt comfortable talking to and trusting Rhonda. She did me right. At the time, I didn't know who I could rely on from this board. If I had to do it over again, I'd know to listen to Gene and save myself a little money. Regardless, I'm a happy camper!
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #303
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
indirect LED strip lights

Attached is a picture of me working on the indirect lighting on the Tin Pickle; we're using flexible LED strip lighting from ledwholesalers.com; the color temperature is 3100K and we're quite happy with this. This is super easy to do; we simply stick the self-adhesive tape to the top of the overhead shelving frame (an aluminum extrusion on our 71) and wire w/ switch or dimmer to 12 V source. The strips may be trimmed w/ scissors to the nearest 2"; it's relatively easy to solder on wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDBartP1090081.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	127697  
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #304
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
I think I have a different take on the LED lights. A few weeks ago we rented an Airstream at a KOA, and it had the puck overhead lights. I found the lighting to be extremely dim - basically mood lighting, not really useable. Looking at the Airstream website, it appears that the Safari and International models all have the puck type lights, but the Classic has something else entirely. Is the lighting in the Classic brighter? Is there a way to make the puck lights brighter? We don't have an AS yet, but we don't plan to do much dry camping, so energy use isn't a big issue. Could some additional 110v lights be fitted to the ceiling?
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #305
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bill, there are different brands of LED's and some are brighter than others. Websites should list lumens and you can compare brightness that way. They should also list color rendition. It takes a while to understand and research, but it is worth it especially if you do boondocking and need to keep power consumption low.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #306
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Caution required

As a lurking SOB (Some other brand) former Airstream owner, I offer the following caution. I converted my 2009 27 foot Int FB Ocean Breeze to complete LEDs and used three suppliers. Two were less than upfront about the quality of their products. While replacing the G4 bulbs, it required sending in the failed units which becomes expensive in itself. Also, several months after the warranty period, most all of the cheaper ones failed.
Always, use your search engine to seek out the reviews on a company before ordering. Many of these .com sites are crooked. The one who has always been good to me, and this includes the complete conversion of a 44 foot Allegro Bus, is LED4RV. He has replaced bulbs quickly and works with suppliers to obtain a source which has high consistent quality. Many of the 1000's of the Chinese suppliers are making junk.
Hope this is helpful.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #307
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I will 2nd the recommendation for LED4RV...we have been totally satisfied with the lights and the customer service from Dan.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #308
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We recently replaced all of the lights in our 16' (except the halogens in the upper cabinets).

I did way too much research and ended up with bulbs from MarineBeam.com

I was impressed with the info on their site - their explanations really helped. They are built to handle the voltage changes that happen in boats and RVs. We purchased them from Welcome to eMarine Systems - who have a quantity discount of 20% when you purchase 5 or more.

We used warm white for all the bulbs:
- "G4 LED Bulb - 6 LED SMD power cluster - side pin" for the halogen puck ceiling lights
- ""G4 LED Bulb - 6 LED SMD power cluster - back pin" for the halogen reading lights
- "G4 LED Bulb - 15 LED SMD mini tower" with "G4 adaptors" for all of the small incandescent bulb replacements

Took about 20 minutes to replace all 16 bulbs. They are working great. We wanted a just little less light than the halogens - and these are perfect. If you want more light - they have lots of bulbs with more LEDs and more lumens. Couldn't be happier.

The People from the Pod
pod people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #309
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We have done the LED replacement thing for the indoor lamps we use while dock'n, also the step and scare lights outside. The goal here was to save DC power. Big improvement!

How many have done the rest of the outdoor lamps, are you happy with the changeover, what was the motivation?
I can't rationalize the power saving angle,(only used underway), in 8yrs I haven't had to replace any of the exterior lamps, and their so... CHEEP!!

Bob
Old 09-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #310
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
How many have done the rest of the outdoor lamps, are you happy with the changeover, what was the motivation?
I replaced the front clearance lights on our 1980 with LEDs just to eliminate the chintzy sockets on the incandescents that I was continually having to fiddle with to keep the lamps lit. The operation was very successful so I will do the rear clearance lights when I get a round tuit.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #311
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
NV

I think I lost my tuit.

One popular site recommends same color bulbs, ie. red lens, red bulbs. Did you go that route or go clear?

I tried the bulb I got for my step light in one of the amber clearance lights, it sure was bright but mostly white, I can see where an amber would be better BUT more $$.

Maybe around tuit is the way to go, replace as needed. I can DO that.

POI...a little dielectric grease on the base works wonders for that socket corrosion.

Bob
Old 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #312
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
One popular site recommends same color bulbs, ie. red lens, red bulbs. Did you go that route or go clear?
I just replaced the whole clearance light assemblies with LED models, eliminating the sockets altogether.

You definitely want to use red LEDs in red tail lights, amber LEDs in amber lights, etc. The colored lenses were designed to filter the light from an incandescent bulb, which produces a continuous spectrum, to give the desired spectral output. The light from LEDs is not a continuous spectrum. Colored LEDs produce sharp spectral lines in the desired part of the spectrum. White LEDs produce either a combination of spectral lines which look more-or-less white, or use a blue LED to excite a phosphor which produces a more-or-less white spectral output. If you put a white LED in, say, a red tail light, at best the lens is absorbing most of the output of the LED and at worst the LED may put out little or no light in the spectral region passed by the lens.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #313
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I'm looking for red and amber bulbs/strips... that would fit in the teardrop marker lights. Any links would be appreciated!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #314
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Red and Yellow LEDs

Hello out there in Airstream land,

LED4RV,com will help anyone get the correct item if possible. If using the strips in outside mounted lights, they will work best if potted in epoxy so as to prevent moisture damage. The nice thing about Dan at the above address is that he stands behind his stuff. He supplied the LEDs for an entire 500 square foot New York Apartment, which I just had built, 15v strips, 110v GU10 bulbs, and others.

A note. If you are putting in 12v LEDs in an automative or RV application, you may want to use a 15v LED as the RVs and such may run up to nearly 14v and this will kill the LEDs rated for only 12v.

Check the feedback on the web for any supplier. Many who have been touted as good, are found to be those who seem to vanish after a few attempts to resolve problems.

HAve a great day...
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #315
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
I just replaced the whole clearance light assemblies with LED models, eliminating the sockets altogether.

You definitely want to use red LEDs in red tail lights, amber LEDs in amber lights, etc. The colored lenses were designed to filter the light from an incandescent bulb, which produces a continuous spectrum, to give the desired spectral output. The light from LEDs is not a continuous spectrum. Colored LEDs produce sharp spectral lines in the desired part of the spectrum. White LEDs produce either a combination of spectral lines which look more-or-less white, or use a blue LED to excite a phosphor which produces a more-or-less white spectral output. If you put a white LED in, say, a red tail light, at best the lens is absorbing most of the output of the LED and at worst the LED may put out little or no light in the spectral region passed by the lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I'm looking for red and amber bulbs/strips... that would fit in the teardrop marker lights. Any links would be appreciated!
FWIW..

As noted above you will get better performance by using the proper color bulb behind the lens you are you are using...there are examples of replacements being offered that do not follow that rational.

Bob
Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #316
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
My experience with LED4RV was terrific. I replaced all of the interior light bulbs in my 2008 Safari 27FB. Dan was very helpful working with me via email to ensure I purchased the right LED's. I had trouble inserting the replacement light in one overhead fixture. Dan met me and personally put the lights in the fixture (I was in the area). A-1 service and support from LED4RV. The new lights are much cooler and energy efficient than the halogens they replaced.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #317
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I bought a couple of LED's to install in our '85 Excella. The double fixture over the sink took 2 of the LED pads that plug into the automotive socket and work fine, no problem. I also got 2 for the reading lights over the front sofa and they cause interferrence in the TV and or radio. Haven't had time to try and track down a solution. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue with their retrofits.

Thanks,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #318
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
FWIW..

As noted above you will get better performance by using the proper color bulb behind the lens you are you are using...there are examples of replacements being offered that do not follow that rational.

Bob

I understand the rational behind using the red and amber led bulbs in the teardrop fixtures but I've been on quite a few sites (including LED4RV) and haven't found any that will fit. If someone can post a link I'd be grateful. Have taillights and scarelight, just need teardrop.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #319
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I understand the rational behind using the red and amber led bulbs in the teardrop fixtures but I've been on quite a few sites (including LED4RV) and haven't found any that will fit. If someone can post a link I'd be grateful. Have taillights and scarelight, just need teardrop.
Shelly,

Here's a link...

To expensive for me though...after all your not replacing them for conservation, just looks. Can't recall the last time I replaced a burnt out clearance light.

Bob
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #320
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
After battling the fluorescent light in the bathroom of my trailer for seven years (bad tubes and bad contacts), I installed LED lighting strips from the Airstream store while at Alumapalooza.

The ten-minute installation consisted of cutting the wires to the ballast and attaching the leads with the included crimp connectors. The instructions say that polarity can be ignored, but I was careful to observe the color-coded leads. Sticky pads mount the strips on the reflector. The resulting light comes on instantly and is at least as bright as the original long tubes.

I like it so well that I bought additional strips for the bedroom and over-sink florescent lights as well. A bit pricy at $45 each, but well worth the price.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccd, led, lighting