Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
... I wish somebody (with a bigger fatter wallet then mine)would buy a whole bunch of different styles and types and then post a review. I"ve bought several that I though would be canidates, but will most likely use as closet lights etc....
Well, this isn't much of an analysis, but here's how the addition of the step light turned out. You can see the pool of light about 2' away from the step, coming from the over door light. I added the 3-LED module in the space between the door tread and the frame edge--it's a cavity along the bottom edge of the door, about 1" square along the whole length of the door. The angle of the module is restricted by the width of this channel, so it winds up pointing at the aft edge of the deployed stair. You can't see it too well in the photo, but there are three spotlights on the step. I think the combination works OK, but you have to accept a dark band about 2' wide from the step to the pool of light from the over door module.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353 step light-s.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	90792

Despite the nearly vertical angle of the step module, due to the channel, the advantage of putting it in the channel is that if the step is up, the module still shines down on the ground. If the module was back in the step well, it would be obscured when the step was up.

Just another small mod that took all day...

BTW, ignore the illumination on the bare tree. This is a composite photo and there was some fill flash to provide some detail on the shell. However, the illumination levels from the step light and the overhead door light are very representative of what it looks like to the eye. And to think, all that step illumination for just 2 milliamps!

Zep
Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #202
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Retrofit LED = didn't love it.

Just purchased a bi-pin warm white lamp as a test to see if I would like it in my overhead recessed. Fit just fine, but I didn't like the quality of the light...much more harsh that the halogen lamps. Even with the energy savings not worth it to me to purchase more. I'm staying with the originals for the atmosphere. LED might be used elsewhere, just not overhead recessed.
lacosta31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #203
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta31 View Post
Just purchased a bi-pin warm white lamp ... Fit just fine, but I didn't like the quality of the light...much more harsh that the halogen lamps....
Where did you purchase? Did they specify the central wavelength? Sure it was warm and not cool (blue-ish)?

Zep
Old 11-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I installed the G4 fixture centered and flush into the ceiling skin, directly across from the leading edge of the door. I am amazed at the wide angle of the light and the smooth illumination. You can see the fixture/LED is right at the top of the frame in this photo. The brightness of the scene in the photo is close to what I perceived visually. You could read by it, but not comfortably. If you installed two of these LEDs in the same general area, it would be well lit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9736 G4 illumination-s.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	90896

I don't know about others' opinions, but the position of the existing spot lights in the front above the windows, directly in line of where the wing windows used to be, is totally too far forward and inconvenient. I think two of these LEDs installed just above where the speakers are would be much better (pointing down, of course).

Now I just need to get the warm version of this LED.

Zep
Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #205
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
LED Spot Light

For the Halogen reading light where is is almost too hot to sit under, or lay under, there is a light at www.led4rv.com that looks pretty interesting.

They have it in Bright white.
9 LED Bright White Reading Spot C9BWSpot [C9BWSpot] - $12.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

And Warm White
9 LED Warm White Reading Spot C9WWSpot [C9WWSpot] - $12.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

They work pretty good
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Excellent! What a cool modification to allow it to use that socket! I've been eyeing the lamp holders at Lowe's and just couldn't figure out how I was going to get the LED light to fit. The same lights at SuperBrite LEDs don't have the pin extensions. Thanks.

Zep
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Excellent! What a cool modification to allow it to use that socket! I've been eyeing the lamp holders at Lowe's and just couldn't figure out how I was going to get the LED light to fit. The same lights at SuperBrite LEDs don't have the pin extensions. Thanks.

Zep
I bought the ones from Superbright and found it pretty easy to solder extensions onto the pins.

Better still if you can buy them already the right length of course!

The first time I bought LED's for the reading lights, I found they were not really bright enough - only 5 LED's on the board. I bought newer onbew with 9 LED's and they are fine.

I have just ordered LED's now for the chandelier fixture over the dinette & looking forward to seeing how they work out.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #208
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Carlsbad , California
Zep - sorry....wanted to reply. The LED I tried was a warm white 9 LED chip that I purchased from Airstream (Jackson Center through ebay). I thought the light was too harsh....the color temperature was ok, just couldn't live under it. I tried only one as a test ...couldn't imagine 8 or more if I changed all the ceiling pucks.
lacosta31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #209
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Could you consider a six chip LED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta31 View Post
Zep - sorry....wanted to reply. The LED I tried was a warm white 9 LED chip that I purchased from Airstream (Jackson Center through ebay). I thought the light was too harsh....the color temperature was ok, just couldn't live under it. I tried only one as a test ...couldn't imagine 8 or more if I changed all the ceiling pucks.
Hi,

We replaced all of the ceiling halogens in our trailer and most of the incandescent bulbs over the past 2 years. Our ceiling puck light fixtures now have the 10 chip warm white LEDs.
#472 http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...-29471-34.html

Have you thought of trying the 6 chip LEDs from Superbright?

Super Bright LEDs Store

G4-xHP6-D LED Lamp
Disc type G4 base Lamp with 6 High Power White LEDs
12 Volt AC or DC, Produces 77/55 lumen at 7000K/3100K, 120 degree beam pattern, 0.9 inch diameter
$ 11.95

At the time I was ordering, Superbright did not offer the reading light LED replacement that fix58 displayed in post # 205. I have the 15 chip LED replacement.
G4-WHP15-T White LED Lamp
Tower type G4 base Lamp with 15 High Power Cool or Warm White LEDs
12Volt AC or DC, 360 Viewing Angle, 75 lumen
Select Color Temp.
$ 16.95

We are pleased with all of our LED replacements since we prefer to dry camp in comfortable weather. With solar power and conservation, we have no problems with battery drain.

Costco is presently selling packets of single flickering LED votive lights. We have converted to these from using candles since they do not need to be minded and do not set off the fire alarm when they burn out. A warm ambiance is created as the light reflects off the the aluminum ceiling.

Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving,
Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #210
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Ketchum , Idaho
led lights

Compared to the halogens, the cool whites are too blue and intense, and the warm whites are too yellow and dull. Has anyone experimented with the cool whites and filters?
nwmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I used a #15 and #12 photo filter, that's medium orange and ligh yellow. Anything in that region seems fine, doesn't filter too much light and cools it down enough so it's not that harsh blue.

A red filter almost blocked the light completely.

I'm looking for some yellow or orange wrapping celophane, which is a lot less expensive per square inch than photo filters!

Zep
Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Might also consider adding some good old fashion red LEDs. That might balance the spectrum and if on a different circuit could be a very effective night light set-up.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #213
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Prescott/Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I just ordered 20 warm white LED bulbs from a source in a vendor off shore. These are a replacement for the 1156 bulbs in older units. I doing this as a test to see if they work. I will keep you posted. I should have them in the next week or so. The units are shown in the photo below. I like the omni direction. I will post photos on how this works.
ranchmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #214
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
They call the AC DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthat View Post
here's a far superior G4 LED.... warm white color temp, very pleasing to the eye. (not the blue-ish white like a typical white LED) I'm running them and really like them a lot.

The one in this picture (above) is straight off the side.
The one picture below sits a little better in the puck light.

Ckick here to see this chip.

Airstream's part number on this one is 15751W-09

www.LED4RV.com has free shipping on this light

fixer58
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #215
1 Rivet Member

Edgewood , New Mexico
What's the lumen output of the light below?

I've found that anything using the typical 5mm LED is pretty pathetic for light output

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchmink View Post
I just ordered 20 warm white LED bulbs from a source in a vendor off shore. These are a replacement for the 1156 bulbs in older units. I doing this as a test to see if they work. I will keep you posted. I should have them in the next week or so. The units are shown in the photo below. I like the omni direction. I will post photos on how this works.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #216
1 Rivet Member

Edgewood , New Mexico
THe one I used from LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light 1141 1156 warm white
has a 252 lumen output, which is nearly identical to all the specs I found for an 1141 bulb - which was 255 lumens.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #217
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thank you, this looks much better than what I ordered. I will order a few to try them out, thanks again.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #218
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthat View Post
THe one I used from LEDTrailerLights.com - RV LED interior ceiling light 1141 1156 warm white
has a 252 lumen output, which is nearly identical to all the specs I found for an 1141 bulb - which was 255 lumens.

Do you prefer warm white to cool white?
nynick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #219
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I would prefer to get as close to incad as possible and with color temperature close.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #220
1 Rivet Member

Edgewood , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynick52 View Post
Do you prefer warm white to cool white?
Warm white is really the most desirable.... it's about the same color temp as incandescent.

A less expensive LED for the outside light, which is cool white, is this one:

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/stt/...57.htm#1156WSD

Tags
ccd, led, lighting