Old 03-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
LED Lighting question

Has Airstream developed or does anyone know of a solution for getting my LED's to work on my new 2012 Flying Cloud with my Mercedes-Benz 350? I am familiar with the issue and the work around with an in-line bulb or a resister in the light fixture, but i would prefer not to have to pull apart the tail light fixture on my brand new trailer. Is there a plug that you can fit between the tow package socket and the trailer plug?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Welcome to the forums.

What LEDs have you added? Inside? Outside? Running lights?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Is it a polarity issue? There are aftermarket LED's that have built-in polarity correction...
Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday
Is it a polarity issue? There are aftermarket LED's that have built-in polarity correction...
They are the factory lights. I think I am looking for a 7 to 7 adapter that has a built in resistor that Valley used to make but are not currently available. If anyone knows where I can get one I would appreciate it. Thanks...
Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I made one that plugs in between the TV and the Trailer at the 7 way plug, I pull with a Touareg and have found that German cars have this problem over other brands. I have not seen any unit like the one I made on the market. I have posted on here before about this problem but seams to not be an issue with others outside of German made TV's. I would think that Airstream should step up and fix the issue and have a fix in the trailer you just spent a lot of $$$ on. If they are going to uses LED lighting in these systems then they should support any and all TV's it just seams silly to me that they don't.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is... It's a standard plug, so if the signal coming out doesn't work, it's not Airstream's fault.

Anyway, I've read that VW makes an adaptor as well as they have the same issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...s-77768-2.html
Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Yes, I think VW can help. jim
Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
I made one that plugs in between the TV and the Trailer at the 7 way plug, I pull with a Touareg and have found that German cars have this problem over other brands. I have not seen any unit like the one I made on the market. I have posted on here before about this problem but seams to not be an issue with others outside of German made TV's. I would think that Airstream should step up and fix the issue and have a fix in the trailer you just spent a lot of $$$ on. If they are going to uses LED lighting in these systems then they should support any and all TV's it just seams silly to me that they don't.
Can anyone tell the rest of us exactly what the problem is?

Let me guess at a couple of possibilities. The fact that some have referred to a "resistor" leads me to wonder if the Mercedes 350 has an electrical system using a higher voltage than 12 V, such as 24 V.

Or, do some of these cars detect the current drawn by the trailer lights and provide a failure indication if the lights are not drawing a certain amount of current, which LEDs might not, even if they were working correctly?

I imagine the problem would be simple enough to solve if we knew what it was!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If Op is taliking about converting to LEDs for tail, brake and turn signals, Many cars and trucks have either the flasher or body control module looking at "x" amount of resistance across bulb filiments. This allows for the indication of a burned out bulb. If that is the issue, SuperbrightLEDs.com has rather inexpensive resistors to fake out the system on the cars. I have them on one of my vehicles. Imports seem to require them more commonly than domestics, but My son's Cobalt SS required them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yes, it's not clear what is the problem, but I strongly suspect that it's the resistance issue. My M-B and BMW both have "bulb failure" sensors that look at resistance as a measure of lamp performance. And they have sid-to-side comparisons as well, and are sensitive enough that sometimes even a functioning but lower-current-draw-than-the-other-side will tlrigger the sensor.

And if this is correct, there are two obvious solutions: a.) get the SuperBright LEDs resistor package, or b.) keep the running lights as incandescents and change out only the interior lighting, which tends to be the battery-drainer when parked anyway
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
In addition, if the TV is "monitoring" the trailer running/tail/brakelights by sensing an umbilical connection, it could be the same issue as a TV LED conversion. Some newer vehicles do monitor the TV trailer connector harness through a body control module. If that's the case and MB is looking for more resistence AND they don't have a factory work around, then I think the added resistor is your only option. I gather you do have a factory AS LED tail light configuration....correct?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
had this problem one time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Airstream View Post
Has Airstream developed or does anyone know of a solution for getting my LED's to work on my new 2012 Flying Cloud with my Mercedes-Benz 350? I am familiar with the issue and the work around with an in-line bulb or a resister in the light fixture, but i would prefer not to have to pull apart the tail light fixture on my brand new trailer. Is there a plug that you can fit between the tow package socket and the trailer plug?
Mercedes-Benz is funny about their warranty when you have other companies work on it. FYI, fixing the Airstream to work with the Benz as is is always best! I see this is the way your going but just wanted to explain for others following this thread.

I have never heard of an adapter.

A fix I saw that worked very well was finding the STT wires under the dinette (it was a small unit and I trust yours is too) and attach light sockets with bulbs. It allows enough power to get your lights to work. These lights under the dinette were not allowed to touch any thing.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm pretty sure Andrew T at canamrv.ca worked it out for others. I think there is a part that plugs between the vehicle and the 7-way plug that solves it.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Thanks for all of your input. We solved the problem by replacing the LED's in the running lamps with incandesant bulbs. This was the recomended fix by AS, thanks again for your input...