Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I ripped out the fluorescent stuff, made a grid using 1/4x1/4 hardware cloth (galvanized welded wire mesh). Wire tied some LEDs, wired 'me in and WallaWalla, better light!

Attachment 195621
Channing

Do you think that 480 led's is enough? I am thinking that you need at least 500.

Seriously I replaced 4 #157 bulbs with two 36 smd light pads and they provide more light so I am quite happy.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Could someone please post a photo of the fixtures discussed in this thread. None of the bulb numbers match those used in our 2005 19-foot Bambi.

Our fixtures all use "1141" automotive-type bulbs (round bayonet end with single center conductor), and I just switched to "warm white" LEDs for $5 each.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I think there are a couple of different lights being discussed?? On the newer Airstreams that come with LED lights the actual LED's are built into the fixtures. You cannot simply replace a bulb. You must replace the entire fixture. At least that is what myself and a few others have been told. This may not be the case on the very latest Airstreams with the dimmable LED's. Mine is a 2011.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just curious, but do the new LED fixtures (and actual LEDs) only last 1-2 years? It seems early to hear of LEDs failing on 2011 Airstreams. I would think that LEDs should last 5-10 years, even for full-timers.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanwell , New Brunswick
I believe they will generally last much longer than the three years we've had our 2011. There are over a dozen of these lights in our unit and we've had one fail so far. It looks like it will be a bit complicated (and expensive!) to replace the fixture so I am hoping this doesn't happen too often.
Freddy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy.Camper View Post
Has anyone replaced the original fixtures, which I assume are "bright white", with "warm white" equivalents, Happy with the results?

We used "warm" in the G4 puck lights when replacing the halogen, much better for reading and easier on the eyes. The "brights" work much better outdoors. Stick with quality replacements, they will last much longer.

I have gotten good stuff from both of these venders...

LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS
LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

Bob
Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: LED replacements for 1141/1156 & C921 incandescent bulbs

I ordered 19 of these LED bulbs to replace the automotive-type "1141" incandescent bulbs in our 2005 19-foot Bambi, including all overhead fixtures, the closet, the (exterior) rear storage locker, and scare and porch lights:

Amazon.com: LED 2W 12V White Omni Bulb BA15S 1156 P21W Brake Tail 18 5050 SM: Home Improvement

I also ordered one of these LED bulbs to replace the C921 incandescent bulb in the stove exhaust hood:

Amazon.com: LED 18x5050 2W 12V White Omni Wedge Bulb T10 194 168 2825 W5W: Home Improvement

These LED bulbs are "warm white" and fit in the existing fixtures, including the porch/step light and the scare light. The LED assembly is a little bit longer than the glass envelope on the incandescent 1141, but the LED bulbs fit in all fixtures with no interference.

The LED color and brightness are almost exactly the same as the incandescent bulbs, the only difference being that the LEDs are very slightly brighter. Also, the LED bulbs run much cooler. (The incandescent bulbs get hot enough to burn fingers after being on only a few seconds, while the LEDs are just warm to the touch after 15-20 minutes.)

Both LED bulb types were $4.99 each, and the shipping charge was $4.90 (as of 09/2013).

I placed my order online via Amazon.com, late Tuesday afternoon; and I received the LED bulbs on Friday (shipped via USPS from Florida to Arizona), which was 3-6 days ahead of the estimated delivery date.

One bulb had a row of three LEDs that did not illuminate due to a missing solder joint on a miniature printed circuit board that is part of the bulb assembly. I sent a message to Eversale.com (the seller) via Amazon.com late Friday night asking if it was OK to attempt to repair the bulb by soldering the circuit board (I didn't want to void the warranty), or whether they wanted me to return the bulb for a replacement.

Eversale.com immediately shipped a replacement bulb early Saturday morning, and I received it on Monday. They also said that I could attempt to repair the defective LED bulb if I wanted to. However, it was unnecessary to return it. I soldered the miniature printed circuit board, which fixed the defect; and I got an extra bulb for free.

When I offered to have Eversale.com charge me for one more bulb to cover the cost of the replacement (since the defective bulb now worked), they said to keep the extra bulb as a thank you for my order; and they apologized for any inconvenience.

I can't believe how quickly Eversale.com processed my order the same day, responded to my messages, and immediately forwarded a replacement. I'm also amazed that the US Post office managed 2-3 day "standard" delivery, with the second shipment occurring over a weekend.

Good customer service is rare, but it's alive and well at Eversale.com!

Note: I have no affiliation with Amazon.com or Eversale.com other than being a very satisfied customer.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Just to recap for anyone interested...... we have a 2011 that came with factor LED lights and one of the lights under an upper storage locker has been acting funny. According to airstream you cannot purchase just the LED 'board'. You have to purchase the entire fixture through a dealer. I finally received our replacement fixture today ( for a total cost of $64 including freight and taxes). It wasn't clear prior to having the replacement fixture how one would actually replace the light. The fixture has three pieces: there is a frosted lense that pops out of an inner housing; the inner housing that holds the LED board; the outside housing. The inner housing is held in place by three spring clips and takes some force to remove. I had to take the LED board out of the existing light in order to leverage the housing out. On the new fixture you can push it out from the back. So I have everything apart and ready to install, but I haven't yet. I need to get some connectors to attach the 12v wiring with first, but hopefully the new inner housing will simply pop into the old outer housing. I've attached several photos. One thing you'll notice is the LED boards on the old and new fixtures are different......different size LED's and different number of LED's. I sure hope the new light has the same appearance as the other existing lights. If I have to change anymore of these lights I think it would cheaper to buy a halogen light then use a replacement LED in the halogen fixture since you have to purchase the entire LED fixture....or perhaps someone will figure this out and start selling just the replacement inner housing.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1530098704.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	582.5 KB
ID:	196771   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2658907775.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	511.6 KB
ID:	196772  

Name:	image-2493444522.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	196773   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-11866583.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	628.4 KB
ID:	196774  

Name:	image-11824664.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	196775  
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanwell , New Brunswick
Thanks for confirming this is not a simple task. I haven't bothered to order a replacement fixture yet. We need one of the recessed ceiling ones and I haven't figured out how to remove it or how to install a new one. We're near the end of camping season up here in the north so this may not happen until next spring since my unit will be going into storage soon.
Freddy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
wilmington , Delaware
2006 Airstream Interstate Class B

Does anyone know which LED bulbs to buy for the different lights in this rig? I pulled one of the lights and feel fairly confident in what I need but thought I would reach out to others who know for certain....any other ides on warm vs cool? Thanks so much! And, where to get them? THANKS!!!
weather command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Does your documentation not tell you which bulb number(s) to get for incandescent? (You then use those numbers to x-reference to LEDs.)

Lynn
Old 02-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My brain dropped a few cells, so I think it is Dan at LED4RV who is knowledgeable as well as the owner. He could lend a hand on the cross over information and their prices are competitive and products are good.

We dropped some real coin to swap everything (but one flouresent build over the sofa I forgot) to LED bulbs in our 2014 31' Classic. Cool white feels better and softer on my old eyes.

phone 866-244-6591
Located in High Point NC

Web page is http://led4rv.net

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote