Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
LED Conversion

Has anyone tried or done a conversion or replacement of the interor light bulbs 1156 or 1142 with the replacement leds? I know they consume less power and are the same or brighter. But how much battery life will the add when boondocking? and are you happy with the results I am finding that they are about 20.00 per bulb

Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
I've done some conversions and depending on what you end up with the LED's will draw about 1/3rd the amps of a standard bulb. Depending on how much battery you have and how much lighting used it could get you a little extra time. The big draw items, water pump and heater are the one to conserve on as much as possible.
Most important is I'm not sure what you're looking at as a replacement. If it is a bulb for a tail light it probably won't work. LED's are very directional and taillight replacements may have only a 15 to 40 deg beam. So if your lighting is not pointing to where you want the light you will be in the dark. I used led strips from superbrightled.com, I think they were around 5 bucks a strip and used 3 strips for counter lights and 4 strips for a galley light, their adequate but could be a little brighter. One other thing is each led is visible through the light cover when they are on, it's that directional light thing again.
My next project is a high/low light for the dining area.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
I have found that the bluish cast of a "white" LED is not very pleasing and they are never bright enough when you need them to be. We ended up putting dimmers on our main overhead lights. This has several effects; first we can save battery life, we love to boondock, plus it creates a romantic atmosphere at the same time!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
Aluminum Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Dimmers?

Rick,

I would be curious to know what type of dimmer switch you used. I will be taking delivery of my new trailer in a few months and would like to tone down the halogens a bit (quite a bit I think!)

Thanks and regards
Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Here is a link that you might look into...Westfalia's unit looks great!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...hts-17392.html

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We replaced one side of all our interior lights with Superbright LED's. Most of our camping is dry or boondocking and they allow us to go 5+ days on our GR29 battery. Blue tint doesn't bother us.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Lightbulb Luna Park

Ghoulish blue LED lighting is a thing of the past!

I completely replaced all my incandescent and florescent light including the little closet lights and outside step light with beautiful WARM LED's

These are HIGH POWER LED's with a temp of 3500k
When shopping for LED's around 3500k is the color to look for.

All bases are available.

I am very very happy with the color and output.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Ghoulish blue LED lighting is a thing of the past!

I completely replaced all my incandescent and florescent light including the little closet lights and outside step light with beautiful WARM LED's

These are HIGH POWER LED's with a temp of 3500k
When shopping for LED's around 3500k is the color to look for.

All bases are available.

I am very very happy with the color and output.

Michael
Thanks for the tip Michael. I've been looking into LED replacments and the "Ghoulish blue LED lighting" has been holding me back.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermantic View Post
Has anyone tried or done a conversion or replacement of the interor light bulbs 1156 or 1142 with the replacement leds? I know they consume less power and are the same or brighter. But how much battery life will the add when boondocking? and are you happy with the results I am finding that they are about 20.00 per bulb
I converted the few old style light bulbs I have to LED. Reading lights at the couch and accent lights in the bed room. I hated it. No where near as bright and the light color messed with the decour.

I switched all my running light to LEDs and I am very happy with them.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I. like so many others, have switched a few bulbs to LED..
Recently, I came upon an article written by an individual who has been living the "dream" of full-timing for the last 9 or 10 yrs in the Outbacks of Australia..
One thing I noticed in his recent commentaries, was his "long term" experiences with LED lighting. This following is taken from his construction diary while building his second motor home..
http://www.robgray.com/index_files/index_diaries.php
Quote:
Meanwhile let's talk about LED lights.
We’ve had no luck with LED lights at all, of the four triple lights we’ve bought for the lounge room they first went dim, the second started flashing some of the LEDs, the third is now going dim, and the forth we’ve just plugged in so who know what it’s going to do. I’ve got another LED light on the laptop and one of it’s LEDs just failed. I’ve got a $50 LED torch and we’ve replaced it twice because the LED started flashing, now this one is playing up as well.
Now that I think about it I’ve seen other people with those halogen replacement LED bulbs with 10-15 LEDs with some of the individual LEDs not working.
We spoke to a salesman at a local lighting shop the other day and he stated that the cheaper lights are not very reliable, but even the expensive ones in the shop had a three-year warranty on everything except the actual LEDs.
All in all I’ve had a gut full of LED lights.
It would seem that, for some,. the LED is not the perfect answer..
I would say this, you will find some rather interested reading on his project and, stories of his travels, experiences of full time..He has a photo gallery worthy of your time as well..

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
interesting example

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
I. like so many others, have switched a few bulbs to LED..
Recently, I came upon an article written by an individual who has been living the "dream" of full-timing for the last 9 or 10 yrs in the Outbacks of Australia..
One thing I noticed in his recent commentaries, was his "long term" experiences with LED lighting. This following is taken from his construction diary while building his second motor home..
http://www.robgray.com/index_files/index_diaries.php
It would seem that, for some,. the LED is not the perfect answer..
I would say this, you will find some rather interested reading on his project and, stories of his travels, experiences of full time..He has a photo gallery worthy of your time as well..

I admit up front I have not read the blokes blog, but my guess is that being in Australia he is buying low quality Chinese LED lighting. Now I am not saying that all Chinese LED stuff is bad, but there is a lot of knock offs that lack the originals engineering and content. The vast majority of Australian electronics comes from China, either mainland or Taiwan. As an avid LED proponent, please don't let this man's experience taint the true values of quality LED lighting. As Michael said in an earlier post, the warm whites (around 3500k) are now available and work much better than the higher temperature "blueish" white LEDs in many Airstream designs. The CCDs and Safari SEs are a different story, there a cooler color temp is more conducive to the design of the interior, but still, it shouldn't be over 5000k.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
TIMEMACHINE,
It's for that reason I made the statement, "It would seem that, for some, the LED is not the perfect answer.."
My purpose was not to discourage anyone from pursuing the LED adventure but, rather to send a warning flag that, as you surmised, not all LED's are made to the same highest standard, nor you should expect that they will last "forever".
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
LED Pros and Cons

I have been messing with LED's in my trailer for a while.

First thing I learned: a 12v LED will fail eventually at the 14.4 v that is the charging voltage in an RV, unless it has an additional thingy that will stop the voltage at 12 v. They fail by first flashing and then dying.

A single LED is very cheap, combining them into an array of several with the resisters and so on is the expensive and labor intensive part. We have LED flashlights that are still going strong after 3 years of abuse.

Another thing to consider, that your personal perception of proper lighting is based on the warm yellow of incandescent lights. There are "warm" LEDs, but an LED is totally directional, so the light doesn't fill the room the way you are used to, either.

I personally like the wattage savings, but if you aren't going to be boondocking, or if you always use your generator, then LED's may not be a great idea for you.

Good ones are quite expensive, too.

Daisy