Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
LED Clearance Light upgrade/blowing a fuse

I have a 1978 Ambassador. Yesterday I upgraded my clearance lights to LED. Did all 5 front and checked...they all worked. Did the back 3 and checked...they all worked. A few hours later I turned them on again after dark to see how bright they were and they did not work...neither did my taillights. Found a blown fuse this morning. Replaced the fuse and it blew again. I am thinking I have a short from the power wire of one of the lights touching the trailer skin. Would that make sense? I soldered each connection and wrapped it in shrink tube. What else could it be?
Many thanks.
Tom

Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Try taking out all of the lights -- then turning on the power to see if the fuse blows again.

Then put the lights in one at a time --- this may isolate the problem

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
That is what I was thinking. Hate to do it. I soldered all the connections and it is raining. But really, that can be the only solution, yes? There HAS to be one of those power leads shorting against the trailer skin. That's all I can think of that would cause that. I guess one of the LED units could have an internal flaw they I will never see. Should have tested each one before installing I suppose.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Try unhooking the plug from the tow vehicale and just hooking up a 12 power source, positive and negitive, with an inline fuse to the trailer plug taillight imput and see if the fuse still blows at that time. is there anyway to isolate sections at a time? Did the new LED's have a positive and negitive wire or just the positive?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
The LED's have a positive wire and a ground wire. I attached the ground to the trailer skin via a ss screw. I can isolate the sections by removing the lights and starting all over. That seems to be the simplest solution.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Progress. I removed the rear 3 LED's from the trailer and just let them hang...did not disconnect but just let them hang making sure the connections were isolated from anything else. They all now work...even the rears. So I obviously have some sort of short in one of the rears.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Fixed. I believe the problem was that a hot wire got squished between the plastic ridge of a clearance light and the trailer. I saw no bare wires but saw an indent in the wire and an indent in the foam gasket that sits between the light and the trailer that shows it was squished. Thanks for the help. Sometimes I just need to put things in writing to get my brain to mull over the possibilities. That and someone saying to go outside and start taking things apart. :-)