Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
I know the LEDs will fit, my problem is getting the covers off the fixtures in the range hood. I tried to pop them off and tried to twist them off but the cover on the fixtures didn't budge and I didn't want to break the fixture (did that at home with a puck light ). Does anyone know if these pop off or are they twist off covers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
They look like the ceiling lights in ours. If so, there is an inner and outer ring. Carefully insert a thin knife blade between them and gently pry the inner ring out until you can get it out with something like a screwdriver. The aluminum scratches really easily, so carefulness is a good thing.

Gene
Oops. If I'd read more carefully, I'd have known that . A thin blade knife or flathead screwdriver will work to get the lenses off, as Gene has indicated. A picture would be great, if you ever get them replaced. I'm always busy doing too much to stop and take photos.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I used a thin blade because the space between the 3 rings requires it. Most screwdrivers have tips that are too fat. I know this because I tried it with a screwdriver and it slipped and scratched the fixture.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
They look like the ceiling lights in ours. If so, there is an inner and outer ring. Carefully insert a thin knife blade between them and gently pry the inner ring out until you can get it out with something like a screwdriver. The aluminum scratches really easily, so carefulness is a good thing.

Gene
Gene,

No these are not like the other ones in the AS. I have already replaced all of those halogens with LEDs. They were just like you described with the inner rings that you can open by inserting a thin knife blade or fingernails. These have a solid plastic ring around the lens (no inner rings like the others).
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Oops. If I'd read more carefully, I'd have known that . A thin blade knife or flathead screwdriver will work to get the lenses off, as Gene has indicated. A picture would be great, if you ever get them replaced. I'm always busy doing too much to stop and take photos.
Terry,

See the photos in post #15.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Terry,

See the photos in post #15.
AFTER you get the LEDs installed...
Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
looks differant

Quote:
I know the LEDs will fit, my problem is getting the covers off the fixtures in the range hood. I tried to pop them off and tried to twist them off but the cover on the fixtures didn't budge and I didn't want to break the fixture (did that at home with a puck light ). Does anyone know if these pop off or are they twist off covers?
Here are some pictures of a new hood range and these look differant from yours. I can tell CrawfordGene has this same kind in the pictures but yours (Scott) look differant. Have you tried to take the filter out and see if it gives any clues? Maybe look with a mirror?

The knife is at the first ring like Gene talked about. It came right out.

The below picture shows a little clip and the hole it goes in. It has 3 of them and they all 3 have to line up.

Another interresting this is the lens is glass and if it were to break I bet it would be hard to find. Hard to find with out buying the whole light.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
Here are some pictures of a new hood range and these look differant from yours. I can tell CrawfordGene has this same kind in the pictures but yours (Scott) look differant. Have you tried to take the filter out and see if it gives any clues?

Another interresting this is the lens is glass and if it were to break I bet it would be hard to find. Hard to find with out buying the whole light.
Dan,
Yes, the light fixtures in my range hood are different from the photos you posted (no inner ring in my hood lights). The puc lights in my kitchen are similar to those in the AS but some twist off and some pop off. I like the idea of taking a look at the back of the fixture via the range hood filter. But if this doesn't provide a clue I will probably leave it as a halogen light until it burns out since we don't use it that much anyway.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601