Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Interior "Porch" Light

So I just had this idea... seems like I always bumble around in the Airstream when returning at night, looking for the light switch. If I turn on the porch light, that fries the remainder of my night vision, making the problem worse.

I'm thinking an ambient light that mounts right above the door, and is controlled by the porch light switch. It would be easy to drill straight through from behind the actual porch light. Seems like it would have to be a sconce-type light, otherwise it would shine directly in my eyes from my favorite seat.

Any ideas out there?
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
The porch light is to bright to be of any use when approaching. It puts out a lot of glare making it even harder to see.

One cure is to replace the # 1004 bulb with a # 67 that would be used in a tail or license lamp. Its half the brightness with no glare thus making it easier to see in the dark of the campground .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Maybe a lighted key fob?
How about a solar powered landscape light next to the door?

Kelvin
Old 10-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
So I just had this idea... seems like I always bumble around in the Airstream when returning at night, looking for the light switch. If I turn on the porch light, that fries the remainder of my night vision, making the problem worse.

I'm thinking an ambient light that mounts right above the door, and is controlled by the porch light switch. It would be easy to drill straight through from behind the actual porch light. Seems like it would have to be a sconce-type light, otherwise it would shine directly in my eyes from my favorite seat.

Any ideas out there?
Airstream Interstates have "courtesy" lights that are mounted just above the floor level. LEDs with a frosted glass cover to minimize glare. One right by the door, one right by the propane detector. Because they're near floor level they light up the floor to keep you from tripping over whatever you've left in the way, but they're out of your direct line of sight.

Seems like something you could easily add to a trailer.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Possibly swap out the porch light with a red, amber, or blue light bulb to help preserve your night vision.
Can't believe there's no light switch next to the door interior for an interior light.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote