Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Charlotte , North Carolina
Interior Lighting Issues

Hi, I'm slowly working my way through repairs on an 1979 Airstream Sovereign. One issue that has existed since I bought the thing about a year ago is that the interior light fixtures with the small bulbs (with the twist base, like small car lights) have never worked. I bought replacement bulbs and still nothing. One time, one appeared to light up, but very faintly. Nothing since then. I'm guessing there is a battery/generator or sorts somewhere in the trailer. Obviously I am a very new beginner and do not know a whole lot about the overall mechanics, but I'm trying to learn. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is there a battery? If so, where is it located? How does it charge?

FYI- My trailer is connected to electricity and the lights that use full size lightbulbs (60watt, etc.) work.

Thank you for any and all help and advice!
SilverHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHornet View Post
Hi, I'm slowly working my way through repairs on an 1979 Airstream Sovereign. One issue that has existed since I bought the thing about a year ago is that the interior light fixtures with the small bulbs (with the twist base, like small car lights) have never worked. I bought replacement bulbs and still nothing. One time, one appeared to light up, but very faintly. Nothing since then. I'm guessing there is a battery/generator or sorts somewhere in the trailer. Obviously I am a very new beginner and do not know a whole lot about the overall mechanics, but I'm trying to learn. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is there a battery? If so, where is it located? How does it charge?

FYI- My trailer is connected to electricity and the lights that use full size lightbulbs (60watt, etc.) work.

Thank you for any and all help and advice!
My 1978 Airstream Sovereign has a door on the curbside front which holds the battery. There is a charger for it under the couch in the front. My guess is that you have a dead battery with a short in it, or no battery and a failed charger. Some A/S have two batteries with a door on both sides of the front. There are also fuses in the circuit. Mine are in a compartment on the inside front wall behind the couch back.

Welcome to the forums. Use the search function for finding more info on this issue.
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Charlotte , North Carolina
Thanks Harry! I'll check those areas on my trailer for a battery tomorrow. That's exactly the information I was hoping to get. There are so many door/contraptions I'm still discovering new ones everyday and knew a battery had to be hiding somewhere.

Thanks again.
SilverHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Chance , Maryland
I have a 1990 a/s land yacht...just purchased it without a manuel...interior lights in center isle ceiling not working due to when entry switch is turned on at the door...fuse blows..can anyone help with this issue. the fuse is 20amp we think the hot water heater is on it too...help!
bjkayla is offline   Reply With Quote