Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
petaluma , California
Interior light woes

My 2000 25ft Safari ss suddenly and simultaneously lost the lights in the vanity and the bathroom....everything else works fine including all other interior lights. I assume the bathroom light gets power through the vanity light but the nearby vent fan in the bathroom which works fine gets its power through a different routing. The circuit diagrams are ambiguous and mostly nonexistent...anybody have an idea how to troubleshoot? Could there be a harness plug that would create a loose connection on these two lights only?
I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
From the online 2001 manual the bath room is on two circuits, 1A is the lights, the wiring runs from the ceiling, most likely the center line which in my trailer can't be reached.

Since it sounds like all the loads are missing I would go to the fuse panel and verify the circuit there. Wire color is purple/black.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes check the fuses first. Don't just look at the fuse to verify the link is still there actually test the output side of the fuse with a voltmeter. Fuses can fail in a not visually detectable manor.

If the fuse test good go to the failed light fixture closest to the ceiling center line of the trailer. That is the fixture most likely feed by the wire in question. Open that fixture and test the feed wire for voltage and the connection at that point.

With electric you start at the source and work you way out by verifying voltage as you go. The point that you lose voltage tell you the problem is between there and the last place you had voltage.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
In mine those lights are on the same circuit, controlled by a switch under the vanity mirror, left side of the plug. Make sure the switch is 'on'. Even the technician at Jackson Center told me I had those lights out until I showed him the switch. It's an easy miss.

When we first got our AS it took me a while to learn about the switch. The one on the right wall is for the rear overhead light, the one on the right side of the vanity switch is for the water heater and the one on the left side controls vanity and bathroom overhead lights. If that's turned off, those lights aren't getting power.

If the switch is on then check that switch to see if it's failed, it may need to be replaced.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbolt View Post
My 2000 25ft Safari ss suddenly and simultaneously lost the lights in the vanity and the bathroom....everything else works fine including all other interior lights. I assume the bathroom light gets power through the vanity light but the nearby vent fan in the bathroom which works fine gets its power through a different routing. The circuit diagrams are ambiguous and mostly nonexistent...anybody have an idea how to troubleshoot? Could there be a harness plug that would create a loose connection on these two lights only?
I appreciate any help. Thanks.
I have the same trailer as you. These drawings are from the Owners Manual. If you would like a PDF copy of the entire 2000 manual, send your email address by private message and I'll send you a copy.
2000 25 Safari - wire harness - ceiling.pdf

2000 25 Safari SS - wire harness - lower.pdf

If you have a fan over the bed it was added at some point. Most of the time the circuit for the vanity lights was used for the fan's power source, possibly tied in at the switch to the right side of the vanity.
If you do not find a blown fuse:
First I would check the wire's at the light fixtures to see if power is there
Second I would remove that switch to the right side of the vanity to check the wiring connections behind the switch and the switch's function.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
petaluma , California
Great tip on the second switch. I never knew that one was wired. Thought it was for some option I didn't own and forgot all about it.... When I flipped it the lights went on....duh!!!
Thanks so much for the advice.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbolt View Post
Great tip on the second switch. I never knew that one was wired. Thought it was for some option I didn't own and forgot all about it.... When I flipped it the lights went on....duh!!!
Thanks so much for the advice.
Yup, I've done the same thing. It's a strange way to wire, switches both at the wall and light. The switch by the front door is the same for that one overhead light.