Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
Interior light replacement or repair?

I have (3) of the square lights on the ceiling my '71 Safari, each with a 3-position dial switch that has it's own unique characteristics. One fixture has a switch which allows you to have all three bulbs on at once, or none. The second fixture offers a bit more flexibility as you can have either one or three bulbs on. The switch on the third fixture actually works in all three positions but has a major drawback. If, for some unknown reason (gremlins?) the knob gets turned in reverse ever so slightly, the fixture will come on and remain on indefinitely. If it remains in this condition for several days the battery obviously drains (ask me how I know).

So now the question is- is it worth it to try and painstakingly repair these yellowed, worn out fixtures and switches or should I replace. I'm leaning towards replacement but haven't seen any fixtures that resemble these. I'd like to keep the look as close to original as possible. Anybody know who has a wide selection to choose from?
bassfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfiddler View Post
I have (3) of the square lights on the ceiling my '71 Safari, each with a 3-position dial switch that has it's own unique characteristics. One fixture has a switch which allows you to have all three bulbs on at once, or none. The second fixture offers a bit more flexibility as you can have either one or three bulbs on. The switch on the third fixture actually works in all three positions but has a major drawback. If, for some unknown reason (gremlins?) the knob gets turned in reverse ever so slightly, the fixture will come on and remain on indefinitely. If it remains in this condition for several days the battery obviously drains (ask me how I know).

So now the question is- is it worth it to try and painstakingly repair these yellowed, worn out fixtures and switches or should I replace. I'm leaning towards replacement but haven't seen any fixtures that resemble these. I'd like to keep the look as close to original as possible. Anybody know who has a wide selection to choose from?
Correct replacement switches for your lights are readily available from some Airstream dealers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
It seems like I am plugging Andy on every post today....I bought 3 new switches from Andy and replaced the old ones which were doing the same as yours. They all should work 3-way. New covers are available and are inexpensive. All 3 of my switches had burnt wires where they were soldered into the back of the switch. I think part of the problem is the heat that the incandescent bulbs generate. I put LEDs in my fixtures and hope that with less power needed to light the bulbs, the switches should not get hot and burn. It was annoying to turn off the light and find it mysteriously on the next day.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Can someone tell me where to order the original replacement covers ? I have several that need some covers and switches. Andy :-) ?
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
I too have changed the switches, purchased from Vintage Trailer in Montpelier VE, bought the new covers from Out of Doors Mart in Greensboro NC...now they look and work like new!
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Thanks waltero, a little pricy, but it looks like they have the goods, guess i will be placing an order.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo View Post
Can someone tell me where to order the original replacement covers ? I have several that need some covers and switches. Andy :-) ?
For a 1965?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
I bought one of the lights and switches from Vintage and they arrived today. Got them installed and I was fairly impressed. I had to trim and file the metal insert, and while the switch is not exactly like the original it works well and is a very suitable replacement. I will certainly order replacements for the rest of the lights, its makes a huge difference getting rid of the old yellowed lenses.