Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
ssww's Avatar
 
1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 31
Images: 1
Interior light problem.

I have a 75 Overlander. It has been sitting for about 8 months. When I connected power everything works except ; light over sink, light over door, scare light and two overhead reading lights above couch. These worked when trailer was parked. I checked all fuses and they are good.
Since these are all on same side of trailer and more or less in line, would they all be on same circuit or connected in some way?
I have installed a 120 vac flour. light over sink to get me by but would really like to get these working. I really miss my scare light.

Thanks in advance for any help ya'll could give me.

Scotty
__________________

__________________
  • 06 F-250 4x4
  • 80 FLH HD (restored)
  • 75 Overlander (27 ft.)
  • 1959 Ford 661 tractor (full restoration)
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I have a 75 Overlander. It has been sitting for about 8 months. When I connected power everything works except ; light over sink, light over door, scare light and two overhead reading lights above couch. These worked when trailer was parked. I checked all fuses and they are good.
Since these are all on same side of trailer and more or less in line, would they all be on same circuit or connected in some way?
I have installed a 120 vac flour. light over sink to get me by but would really like to get these working. I really miss my scare light.

Thanks in advance for any help ya'll could give me.

Scotty
A good looking fuse, does not necessarily work.

They can be popped where you cannot see it.

Use a test light or a DC volt meter to measure both sides of the fuses.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
ssww's Avatar
 
1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 31
Images: 1
Andy,

I used my Fluke meter to check the fuses. They all checked good. One of the fuse cradles needed to be squeezed together a little, but that was all I could find. All the wires looked good and all lugs were tight.
__________________
  • 06 F-250 4x4
  • 80 FLH HD (restored)
  • 75 Overlander (27 ft.)
  • 1959 Ford 661 tractor (full restoration)
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Andy,

I used my Fluke meter to check the fuses. They all checked good. One of the fuse cradles needed to be squeezed together a little, but that was all I could find. All the wires looked good and all lugs were tight.
I will check the schematic tomorrow and get back with you.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
ssww's Avatar
 
1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 31
Images: 1
Andy,

I got it!!!

I'm not sure what was happening but one of the fuses that checked good - or at least I thought it checked good - apparently was bad. It looked kinda suspect on one end so I replaced it and everything is working.

Now I've got an interior a/c leak to fix but after researching I've narrowed it down to gasket or stopped up drain tube. I used an inspection mirror to look in pan and since pan is full I'm gonna try the air in the drain line trick. But that's another sub forum.

Thanks for help, Scotty
__________________
  • 06 F-250 4x4
  • 80 FLH HD (restored)
  • 75 Overlander (27 ft.)
  • 1959 Ford 661 tractor (full restoration)
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Andy,

I got it!!!

I'm not sure what was happening but one of the fuses that checked good - or at least I thought it checked good - apparently was bad. It looked kinda suspect on one end so I replaced it and everything is working.

Now I've got an interior a/c leak to fix but after researching I've narrowed it down to gasket or stopped up drain tube. I used an inspection mirror to look in pan and since pan is full I'm gonna try the air in the drain line trick. But that's another sub forum.

Thanks for help, Scotty
Your welcome.

Some electrical problems are shocking and some are simple.

Glad yours was the latter.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Fuil-Timers
 
DreamStreamr's Avatar

 
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 631
Images: 38
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Lights Out

A car bumped our CCD 25 in a line-up for the gas pumps. Very slight damage, mostly just mashed the rocker panel under the side cargo compartment a little and didn't seem to damage the outrigger. Scuffed the cargo door and the wraparound shiny trim between the body and the rocker panel.

The next morning, inexplicably, the lights in the rear 1/3 of our International were dead. Oh crap! Did I nick a wire last year when I installed the two solar panels, and it just now broke through? No clue what was wrong. Easy first, I checked the fuse panel, vom shows power across the fuse terminals.

We disassembled and checked the switch bank at the lavatory and found power for the vanity lights only. The power for switches for the rear overheads, the rear roof locker, and the bed reading lights all dead. No problem, I'll just jumper from the line side of the powered switch (yellow circuit) to the unpowered switch (purple circuit). A twenty amp circuit with not much on it and we rarely, if ever, run more than two sets of any lights at a time.

Went to the truck to get the wire strippers, crimping tool, connectors. On a whim I stopped by the exterior fridge cabinet on my way back into the Airstream. The CCD 25 has a big multi-wire plug connector running through the fridge cabinet. Yep, a purple wire leads into and out of this connector plug. On a hunch I grasp the wire insulation of the purple leads on either side of the connector and push both into the middle. Not very scientific, didn't even check the connection with my vom first.

Walked into the Airstream, checked the "purple" circuit and everything works. Whew! Some of the wires into the big plastic molded plug (in the fridge exterior panel area) have little or no slack. And Airstream Co very heavily vulkemed the wire bundle's entry and exit points of the fridge panel area. So one circuit's wire finally, after almost thirty thousand miles, withdrew just enough to break the connection.

Lessons:
  1. I failed to trouble-shoot all the reasonably accessible parts of the dead circuit.
  2. I feared the worst (dead circuit in some unreachable part of the trailer).
  3. I jumped to an easy (and compromise) solution.
  4. And I can and should perform preventive maintenance on this and other accessible wiring connectors occasionally.
Alls well as ends well. Lights on!
__________________

__________________
Living the Dream

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exterior Light Problem extiger Lights - Interior & Exterior 5 10-08-2007 04:55 AM
63 Globetrotter tail light problem 63air Lights - Interior & Exterior 3 09-21-2007 07:08 PM
Pilot light problem Scott Hopkin Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves 3 05-17-2005 04:16 AM
Head Light Problem Orland Dewey Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 0 10-03-2004 10:06 PM
'64 Globetrotter Patio Light Problem sdresen Lights - Interior & Exterior 1 07-26-2004 11:27 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.