Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Interior light problem.

I have a 75 Overlander. It has been sitting for about 8 months. When I connected power everything works except ; light over sink, light over door, scare light and two overhead reading lights above couch. These worked when trailer was parked. I checked all fuses and they are good.
Since these are all on same side of trailer and more or less in line, would they all be on same circuit or connected in some way?
I have installed a 120 vac flour. light over sink to get me by but would really like to get these working. I really miss my scare light.

Thanks in advance for any help ya'll could give me.

Scotty

• 1959 Ford 661 tractor (full restoration)
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I have a 75 Overlander. It has been sitting for about 8 months. When I connected power everything works except ; light over sink, light over door, scare light and two overhead reading lights above couch. These worked when trailer was parked. I checked all fuses and they are good.
Since these are all on same side of trailer and more or less in line, would they all be on same circuit or connected in some way?
I have installed a 120 vac flour. light over sink to get me by but would really like to get these working. I really miss my scare light.

Thanks in advance for any help ya'll could give me.

Scotty
A good looking fuse, does not necessarily work.

They can be popped where you cannot see it.

Use a test light or a DC volt meter to measure both sides of the fuses.

Andy

Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Andy,

I used my Fluke meter to check the fuses. They all checked good. One of the fuse cradles needed to be squeezed together a little, but that was all I could find. All the wires looked good and all lugs were tight.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

I used my Fluke meter to check the fuses. They all checked good. One of the fuse cradles needed to be squeezed together a little, but that was all I could find. All the wires looked good and all lugs were tight.
I will check the schematic tomorrow and get back with you.

Andy
Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Andy,

I got it!!!

I'm not sure what was happening but one of the fuses that checked good - or at least I thought it checked good - apparently was bad. It looked kinda suspect on one end so I replaced it and everything is working.

Now I've got an interior a/c leak to fix but after researching I've narrowed it down to gasket or stopped up drain tube. I used an inspection mirror to look in pan and since pan is full I'm gonna try the air in the drain line trick. But that's another sub forum.

Thanks for help, Scotty
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

I got it!!!

I'm not sure what was happening but one of the fuses that checked good - or at least I thought it checked good - apparently was bad. It looked kinda suspect on one end so I replaced it and everything is working.

Now I've got an interior a/c leak to fix but after researching I've narrowed it down to gasket or stopped up drain tube. I used an inspection mirror to look in pan and since pan is full I'm gonna try the air in the drain line trick. But that's another sub forum.

Thanks for help, Scotty
Your welcome.

Some electrical problems are shocking and some are simple.

Glad yours was the latter.

Andy
Old 10-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Lights Out

A car bumped our CCD 25 in a line-up for the gas pumps. Very slight damage, mostly just mashed the rocker panel under the side cargo compartment a little and didn't seem to damage the outrigger. Scuffed the cargo door and the wraparound shiny trim between the body and the rocker panel.

The next morning, inexplicably, the lights in the rear 1/3 of our International were dead. Oh crap! Did I nick a wire last year when I installed the two solar panels, and it just now broke through? No clue what was wrong. Easy first, I checked the fuse panel, vom shows power across the fuse terminals.

We disassembled and checked the switch bank at the lavatory and found power for the vanity lights only. The power for switches for the rear overheads, the rear roof locker, and the bed reading lights all dead. No problem, I'll just jumper from the line side of the powered switch (yellow circuit) to the unpowered switch (purple circuit). A twenty amp circuit with not much on it and we rarely, if ever, run more than two sets of any lights at a time.

Went to the truck to get the wire strippers, crimping tool, connectors. On a whim I stopped by the exterior fridge cabinet on my way back into the Airstream. The CCD 25 has a big multi-wire plug connector running through the fridge cabinet. Yep, a purple wire leads into and out of this connector plug. On a hunch I grasp the wire insulation of the purple leads on either side of the connector and push both into the middle. Not very scientific, didn't even check the connection with my vom first.

Walked into the Airstream, checked the "purple" circuit and everything works. Whew! Some of the wires into the big plastic molded plug (in the fridge exterior panel area) have little or no slack. And Airstream Co very heavily vulkemed the wire bundle's entry and exit points of the fridge panel area. So one circuit's wire finally, after almost thirty thousand miles, withdrew just enough to break the connection.

Lessons:
  1. I failed to trouble-shoot all the reasonably accessible parts of the dead circuit.
  2. I feared the worst (dead circuit in some unreachable part of the trailer).
  3. I jumped to an easy (and compromise) solution.
  4. And I can and should perform preventive maintenance on this and other accessible wiring connectors occasionally.
Alls well as ends well. Lights on!

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote