Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Interior Light Fixture Repairs

There are eight interior light fixtures (double bulb automotive bayonet) throughout my 25ft Safari. Two of those are in the bath mounted just in front and above the large fold up medicine chest/mirror. Strangley, the push buttons on both gave up at the same time. Finally I decided it was time to replace those fixtures and hoped I would be able to find something better using the same type of lamps, but that didn't use the overly flexible snap in lens covers that are always on the floor. Looked around online and found what we thought we would like until we found out each fixture was going to cost $61.00 . Can't spend that inside our home either so I decided to replace the cheap defective switch with a good old fashioned metal toggle for about $4.00 per switch. The reuse was two fold:

Same footprint (no new holes in ceiling)

We are back in business with lighting in the bathroom with the lens covers still fitting badly.

With so many of these same fixtures throughout the coach interior and the storage bins in both the single and double lamp, I now know how to make those needed repairs, which just reminded me that the single lamp wardrobe fixture is also out.

Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Hi A& too

I had the same problem with my 4 way rotary switches, AND with the replacements, that lasted all of one day!!!!

I came up with the same solution of using toggle switches. But I am saving up for some LEDs to deal with the power and heat problems.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
That's a great idea. I've found some replacement parts for the fixtures, and used smaller lamps on the three way ones- the lowest setting is great for low, ambient light, and all three on together are adequate. I'm working on replacing the shades, one of which has melted, with something more interesting, replacing the incandescent lamps with LED and just reusing the existing fixtures. They way better made than most anything you'll find to replace them with.
Wherever you go, there you are
Globie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Shop Portfolio Aria 3-Light Brushed Steel Roundback Linear Track Lighting Kit at

Found this today in Lowe's. Not suitable for the bathroom in mine, but it sure would take care of the long runs between the living area, kitchen, and bedroom. This is a halogen bulb model, and I would prefer LED's. The lighting situation is also something that boat and yacht people have to find alternatives for as well and this is what I found on google today. Also notable are these are 110/120 fixtures, so all you have to do is find models that will accept 12 volt lamps.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote