Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
interior light color temperature - important for healthy circadian rhythm?

Hello,

I recently ordered and received 12V LED replacement bulbs that were advertised as warm-white, but actually they're much closer to blue-white daylight. I feel like I'm trapped inside an old B&W TV tube. Recent sleep studies indicates that an evening light source that is predominantly blue light can interfere with healthy sleep patterns and circadian rhythm.

Now you may think that this is 'Gee whiz, it really doesn't matter other than what seems esthetically appealing', but as a PhD physiologist I think that there is something to this. And in my opinion, it may become more important for 'we who are farther along the path of life'.

I realize that this is an unusual idea here, but what is your opinion? Do you notice any difference in sleep patterns?
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sleep patterns - nope. Does it bother me - yup.

The stock LED lighting in the new(er) AS trailers is 3000K color temperature.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
No, it's not a non-problem. Here's one set of data points.

Replaced the very harsh halogen lighting in the AS with 'warm white' LEDs everywhere. Still can see fine, don't get headaches from the prior glare, save lots of battery power as a side effect.

Have also noticed some subtle effects/improvement in sleep pattern when I switched my (overused) iPhone to use a 'browner' background and much less blue color balance in the evening after sunset.

Most of our lights at home are 'warm white' LEDs and that helped over the CFLs we used to have too many of. I now use the warm white color everywhere I can.

I'm well past retirement age, wife is approaching retirement.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Circadian rhythm...

...would indicate your trying to replicate daylight, bright white would be the closest.

We used them in our overhead puck lights.They work very well for us.👍
You can change the number of LED's to adjust intensity.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The possible problem is that bright blue-white lighting tends to interfere with production of melatonin, (spelling?) which is a regulator of your circadian rhythm which is involved in sleep patterns. If your circadian is messed up, it's hard to sleep at night, get enough sleep, and be wide awake during the day. There is a lot of research being done on this nowadays.

What's been shown so far is that LED illuminated screens of TV and cell phones, if they are too blue, can throw of the circadian rhythm somewhat. This is not a good thing in a population of generally sleep-deprived individuals, especially teenagers, night shift workers like DW, or old pharts like me who have managed to 'not retire' for some stupid reason...
Old 09-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I was inspired by a post on the Airstream Sprinter motorhome forum to warm up the interior overhead lights for low cost and I ordered this material. I cut out circles of this gel sheet and put it above the interior lights glass piece. To do this, you only pull out the inner circle that housed the lens, don't pull out the whole fixture. There are tons of colors to choose from but I like this one and now my wife will permit the overhead lights to be on, a major improvement !!

I should note that the same lights that illuminate the galley counter we kept the original bright white. This is task lighting and wifey wanted it to stay that way. This jibes with many residential kitchen lighting schemes. Also, the gel sheets will dim the light output, which we did not want to happen over the galley area.

Don't be distracted by the 5500k to 3800k language. If you start with 4000k color temperature it will lower to somewhere less than 2700k, which is the target for warm white in your home light bulbs....

https://www.amazon.com/ROSCO-SHEET-C...EET+Gel-Sheets
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Light tinting marked up.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	323620  
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, if you are concerned about color temperatures > 3K keeping you from sleeping .... don't go out during the day. Sunlight in most areas is > 5K color temperature ....

Bob
Old 09-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Don't know who you ordered from. When I upgraded the Vintage Tradewind to LEDs I found this comparison of colors on M4LED.
http://www.m4products.com/bulb-cross-reference-and-color-range/
The plates I used to change out the bulbs appeared true to their descriptions.
Went with Warm White in the bedroom. I changed out one fixture at a time and these old eyes couldn't tell the difference between the incandescent and LED. Changing out to Cool White in the kitchen made a big difference compared to the 1156s.

Good Luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I used the Rosco gel sheets too. Bought local here in Portland, OR. Cheap. Worked like a charm to take the sterile blue-white light & warm it up a bit.
I bought 2 sheets which will probably last me 10 years.
Troy McLure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
GEARAID makes the ARC Rechargeable light which is solid and works very well. It has 3 selectable color temperature settings-6500k, 4200k, 3000k. I hang mine from a slot in the over-the-driver shelf when parked. It's also good for parking and plugging in.
coasttocoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Anywhere , IN
Greetings,
I believe there is something to the light and sleep. The way I get around this problem, is wear a $5.00 pair of glasses from Amazon to block this type light in evening. The VA was who suggested this for me. Then in winter and dreary days I am able to benefit from the bright light.
All this may change in the next study done. But i feel it helps me.
Safe travels all.
KRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Bob, Just as a side note, I recently became aware of some studies that indicate that excessive exposure to the blue-white spectrum from some LED lights can contribute to the increasing incidence of certain forms of macular degeneration in older adults. Have you heard anything about this?

Not a comforting thought, as I have spent entirely too much time staring at CRTs, LED-illuminated LCD displays, and bright cell phones for too much of my adult life. Recent cataract surgery replaced my lenses with implants that state that they contain a yellow filter as part of their listed characteristics. Coincidence, I think not...
Old 09-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Bob, Just as a side note......
Hi

Lots of Bob's around here ....

UV is an issue and always has been.

Looking at the lights in the AS, there is a lot of plastic in the optical path. That's going to have a pretty big impact on just what gets through.

Lots of variables.

Bob
Old 09-26-2018, 10:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Corona , California
interior light color temperature - important for healthy circadian rhythm?

My recessed lights were originally halogen bulbs, now converted to LED, so the lenses are glass. The bathroom and closet light fixture have plastic lenses, however.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
I just did a lengthy contribution to this thread and when I went to post it the browser went completely white and I lost it all. I suggest you copy your work before you post so you will not lose your reply s and posts.