Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
...I'll tackle the over the door light tomorrow afternoon since I have to flex time off from work. The 1156-PCB-W36 from SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home on the first order will be a perfect fit for this application. The scare light with be the last area to deal with before April.
I chose to leave the 1141 bulb in over the doorway and put the above LED board in the scare light instead. I usually place an aluminum roll up table near the trailer tongue on the doorway side and then cook on a Weber Baby Q grill so this will give me plenty of light for that purpose. When I removed the bulb in the scare light fixture purchased from Vintage Trailer Supply, it had an 1156 bulb in it.

I placed an order today for a Bargman #89 double light fixture with optic lens to be placed next to the fluorescent double tube fixture near the stove/sink area. After installation, I will order two of the 48 high power SMT LED boards in warm white from http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm to place in this fixture. That will just about do it for interior/exterior lighting dedicated to lowering 12 volt consumption at night and early morning.

If I made my calculations correctly, the comparisons are:

2 couch lights/one SMT board over sink---.180+.180+.180=.540 amps

2 couch lights/one fluorescent over sink---.180+.180+1.6=1.960 amps

2 couch lights (1141 bulbs)/fluorescent over sink ---1.44+1.44+1.6=4.48 amps

This assumes that the 48 SMT draws near the same as the 25 SMT since there was no way I could tell current draw from autolumination website. A Trimetrics should give me a better idea of what is happening if I order one following the purchase of new rims/tires in April. I can now see why my previous battery had a draw when I hit a compartment light with 1141 bulb on all day until 9 p.m.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
rv.net led thread

I thought this might be added interesting info. I'll wait until next month to order another 25 SMT and a 48 SMT in warm white for the Bargman double bulb fixture with optic clear lens I installed last Thursday near the sink.
: Truck Campers: Finally! Practical LED Lighting for your Camper

I gathered from this article and a previous forum post that I'd be better off running the LED's when boondocking rather than when I am on shore power with the higher voltage. This was just what I had planned on doing.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 02-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Oops, burgular alarm went off at my son's house and we had to check it out. Cat set it off.
david, i have the same exterior light fixture on the exterior of my trailer. sorry to be so dense, could you take a picture of that LED, and give the part number, and where you purchased it again.

thanks,

kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
david, i have the same exterior light fixture on the exterior of my trailer. sorry to be so dense, could you take a picture of that LED, and give the part number, and where you purchased it again.

thanks,

kevin
Kevin,
The 36 led board pictured below was to go in the overdoor fixture you are refering to. I decided to put it in the scare light toward the front of the trailer instead. It casts a whiter but dimmer light which should be easier for other campers to swallow as long as I do not keep it on late at night and it does illuminate the front door steps. It turned out better than I thought for those times I put the grill near the front of the trailer.

The problem I ran into was that the over door fixture was tight to the aluminum hood and recessed toward the top. I could still have glued it to the bayonet base but decided wait instead to see how the scare light does this turkey season. I may very well use a 1156-PCB-CWHP9 SMT board in that fixture at a later date.

I also made a change in location of the 1156-PCB-CWHP9 which I put in the first of the double bulb fixtures in the hallway. I rarely, if ever, use this hall fixture so I took that CWHP9 out and moved it to the bedroom so that there are two of those bulbs over the bed.

As a recap, I ordered the two 1156-PCB-CWHP9 bulbs from Superbrightleds.com and they are in the bedroom as noted above. One 1156-PCB-W36 was also ordered from them and ended up in the scare light. I then ordered two 1156 25 Ultra Bright SMT light boards which had 25 SMT leds in them from *LEDLight.com LED Lights, LED Lamps, LED Bulbs and placed them over each end of the couch. They are brighter than the 1156-PCB-CHP9 bulbs.

Plans are to order a 1156 25 SMT board and a 1156 48 SMT, both in warm white, from www.autoillumination.com next month and experiment which of these two boards will go into the first over stove/sink double fixture. I'd say the 25 because it will stay on longer than any of the other bulbs in the trailer and if I need additional light in the stove/sink area then I will push the selector switch over another notch to light up the 48 SMT bulb. Remember, I'm boondocking, solar is charging the battery by day and I am sick and tired of turning off a single 1141 bulb or 16 watt flourescent fixture as I enter and exit the trailer. The soft warm white should be just right for fixing food on the stove, opening cans, mixing drinks. etc. If the guys come over to eat dinner in my trailer rather than sitting around the fire eating, lights over the couch and over the stove/sink area will still consume less than that bright flourescent fixture next to the Fantastic Vent Fan.

On shore power, I have 3 flourescent fixtures to run, the hallway double fixture and two double fixtures with 1141 bulbs in the bathroom. This should work out OK. If I find my wife turning on the LED over couch then I will put one 1141 back in just for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDinteriorexterior 006.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	54096   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDinteriorexterior 008.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	54097  

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Autoillumination warm white 25 LED

I was disappointed in the warm white 25 SMT led board from autolumination.com. It was very yellow, almost a light amber. The 48 led, on the other hand, was just fine. It wasn't that harsh cool white but a nice white light. I'm not sure if I will order another 48 led warm white like the other one or order the 25 led SMT from ledlight.com which are the ones over the couch right now.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 03-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I gave the leds a test run while scouting for turkeys this weekend. The slightly yellow warm light over the stove is starting to grow on me especially when I kick in the 48 SMT warm white which is in a higher light spectrum (a little whiter). It seems to balance the first one out. I left the first light on for a couple hours each evening while cooking on the stove and am satisfied I made the right choice in switching to led lights because the battery draw was negligible.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I guess this yellow glow didn't grow on me after all. I pulled this warm white 25 led out and replaced it with one of the 9 led units I had back in the bedroom. It is slightly whiter than the 48 led and approximates the led color over the couch. Again, I am sold on the leds in the trailer for conservation of power. I even ran the scare light for 30 minutes which has an intense blue-white glow but not as bright as the 1156 bulb it replaced in that outside fixture. I do find that I have to position my reading material so that the light from the led shines directly on it since the leds have a narrower beam than the 1141 incandescent. It is worth it to be able to run lights for longer periods of time. I will try to take some pictures this weekend.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 04-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Kevin,
The 36 led board pictured below was to go in the overdoor fixture you are refering to. ...
The problem I ran into was that the over door fixture was tight to the aluminum hood and recessed toward the top. I could still have glued it to the bayonet base but decided wait instead to see how the scare light does this turkey season. I may very well use a 1156-PCB-CWHP9 SMT board in that fixture at a later date.
Have you tried an LED in the over door light yet? Thanks for all the research. I'm hoping to do LEDs in many places inside, but am wary of the blue-white colors and also the tight beam angles. I'm using 12V halogens over the stove in the Caravel and like them, but they do eat electrons.

My '77 Safari doesn't have a scare light and I'm thinking of removing them from my other Airstreams, myabe to replace them with a recepticle for a canister flourescent. FLYFSHR (Brad) did this in several places on his Tradewind and it works great.

Zep
Old 04-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Have you tried an LED in the over door light yet? Thanks for all the research. I'm hoping to do LEDs in many places inside, but am wary of the blue-white colors and also the tight beam angles. I'm using 12V halogens over the stove in the Caravel and like them, but they do eat electrons.

My '77 Safari doesn't have a scare light and I'm thinking of removing them from my other Airstreams, myabe to replace them with a recepticle for a canister flourescent. FLYFSHR (Brad) did this in several places on his Tradewind and it works great.

Zep
Zep,
I'm still thinking about replacing the light over the door but haven't done so yet. I gave the 25 SMT yellowish led to one of my hunting buddies this weekend and it works just great over his dinette. His curtains are orange and it seems to work out better in his trailer. It seems like there is almost the same amount of interior light in the fixture previously fitted with an old 1141 bulb. When we had coffee the next morning there was no harshness and to the leds and surprisingly almost the same coverage. He now wants a cool white 25 SMT over the sink.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Update

All boards are still running fine for over 3 years now. The 36 led panel I placed in the scare light broke in 2 places but the bulbs are still bright. I knew it was a tight fit when I tightened the 3 screws up. I finally got around to putting an led bulb over the door and it is bright enough but I think I will try the elongated board that Dan has on his website www.led4rv.com for more illumination. I'll try to take a picture of what I put up over the door temporarily. I still want to add a couple more led boards in the trailer and I will be satisfied.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end