Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Weston , Ohio
How do I remove this #$%@& taillight

Hello, we have started the adventure of bring back to life a 1972 Overlander. We have a few electrical issues that we have fiqured out. (with your help) But we have some rusted taillights. The question is how do we remove these to replace the cups on the inside. We watned to remove the frame and all. Does it have to be done form the inside wall? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom & Melanie
dragonnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Tail Light

The cast aluminum housing is riveted from tha back side, when replacing the rear segment it is reattached the same way. The light "cans" are no longer available, from anywhere. Th originals were right at 4" in diameter and riveted in. Corrosion causes the cans to bond to the casting making it difficult to remove them without damage. Any lights you see advertised as being 4" in diameter will actually be 4 1/4 or 4 3/16.
There are weld sealed plastic LED's that can be cut down, but $$$$$$. The advantage is they can be glued in place and they are 100,000 hour rated. That's what 12 years of constant on.
Let the guy in 2050 worry about the next replacement.

Zoom
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I had the same problem. I soaked (kept on applying) liquid wrench to the outside diameter of the steel housing. Mine were screwed through the back. After loosening by twisting and a nudge with a screwdriver, they became free. I mended the cans with steel putty and replaced the lamp sockets which are readily available at auto parts stores. See threads on LED replacements - sounds promising. I've seen the entire aluminum casting assy on ebay, but for me it was too difficult to remove the interior.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Weston , Ohio
THink we figured it out

Hello again, I think we figurerd it out. We got the wires to pull out a little by pull jsut a little harder then we thought was necessary. So now I think we can replace the sockets from the outside and get them to work. I would like to eventually look at the LED option. But anyone that has read my other threads know our " get it going for a couple more years until the kids are gone" mission. I really keep trying to get sidetracked on that mission with a desire to restore now. After the kids move on and wont go Camping with us anymore we intend on a complete restore. Once again, Thank You very much for your help.
dragonnfly is offline   Reply With Quote