Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's a weird one...got me head scratchin'

In Florida, last week, we had a monsoon-like rain with a driving wind. Good news--only one water leak alarm went off on the curb side rear where the shell meets the flat side. Small leak, carpet not wet, but gotta find it. Here's the weird part. After the rain stopped, I went out to the truck and turned the ignition on....the rear camera (AS) screen popped up with a view from the rear of the trailer! Mind you, the camera is powered off the running light circuit and the umbilical was not connected. The running lights were not lit. Now, I realize that the incandescent filiments need high current to even glow a bit and the camera needs only about 200mA to operate, but the running light circuit is 100% dedicated and has no common 12 volt feeds with any other circuit, that I can conceive or know of.

I suspect that the leak is connected to this phenomenon, but I can't see how. As soon as things dried out, all was normal, until another big rain shower, then same thing. Now, all is normal. Umbilical connector was protected inside the propane cover and appeared bone dry, both times.

Where's the 12V coming from?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I would still bet on the umbilical cord or connector, since that is where the positive on the charging circuit and the running light circuit wires are in close enough proximity to almost touch.
Corrosion, dust, or trash, dampened in the high humidity, could carry that small amount of voltage.

add edit:
A spider web in the 12v fuse panel might also transmit a small voltage, especially if damp.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Both good ideas! Thanks. It was certainly humid. I'll hit the connector with some contact cleaner. I just went out and took off the side panel in the bedroom and everything is dry to the touch. Removed the water alarm probe and my sweaty fingers set it off. Reinserted it in the floor and it didn't go off. The Doberman alarm is really sensitive, as far as alarms go. That leak must be TINY to be already bone dry.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The camera could be receiving it's power from the trailer battery due to a wet connector at that end (male side of the connector).

Next time it happens disconnect the AS battery.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
The camera could be receiving it's power from the trailer battery due to a wet connector at that end (male side of the connector).

Next time it happens disconnect the AS battery.
My first thought as well, but the marker light circuit is always dead, in the AS and the TV until the TV park lights are switched on. There would have to be a 12V to 12V cross circuit short for that scenario it even be conceivable.

Also, if you mean the connector at the positive junction box, where the umbilical terminates to the AS wiring, it is inside mounted on the electrical center about 8" off the floor, in a plastic box. No water there.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
side panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Both good ideas! Thanks. It was certainly humid. I'll hit the connector with some contact cleaner. I just went out and took off the side panel in the bedroom and everything is dry to the touch. Removed the water alarm probe and my sweaty fingers set it off. Reinserted it in the floor and it didn't go off. The Doberman alarm is really sensitive, as far as alarms go. That leak must be TINY to be already bone dry.

DZnf0g - How did you get the side panel off in the bedroom? I have a 2004 - 30 foot classic and can't get them off to check for leaks. Wolf 146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
DZnf0g - How did you get the side panel off in the bedroom? I have a 2004 - 30 foot classic and can't get them off to check for leaks. Wolf 146

SEEK and ye shall find....two long screw heads in the carpet nap. A magnetic stud finder would help. There is probably no rhyme nor reason to where they are, as I am sure the assembler just puts them wherever. Hang for a few minutes and I'll go take a pic.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here ya go....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Side panel 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	241864

Click image for larger version

Name:	side panel 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	241865

Just be sure not to over tighten when reinstalling. The inner skin is all that holds them. Easy to strip.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Thanks for the info about the side panels. I'll check it out. Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Just trying to help here. If the AS was NOT connected to the TV then the voltage has to come from the trailer battery.

You can test this by shorting the AS battery +12v to the trailer charge line at the umbilical that should turn on the running lights and the camera. Same thing is happening when something is getting wet and shorting out just enough resistance to not turn on the running lights but enough to power the camera.

I think it is pin 3 to pin 4 on the trailer side. This may not be the problem but the only sourse of power is the trailer battery.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
High resistance short as described by garry sounds likely to me.

Could your moisture be coming from condensation within the trailer rather than a leak, I've seen it with our Moisture Test Meter in the subfloor.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
Somewhere there is usually a hatch that gives access to the point where the trailer umbilical is wired into the internal wiring for the lights on the trailer. In older AS it is underneath in the belly pan. This is one other place where moisture could cause the high resistance short you are talking about. Anywhere else that camera power wire runs inside near to a power wire is a potential cause for this if water enters the picture... even inside the camera unit itself if it has a connection to trailer power and uses a signal wire to turn it on.

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Northborough , Massachusetts
With the umbilical cord put up inside the propane cover, the water can follow the umbilical if it is all downhill into the box where it ties into the main wiring... or their could be a nick somewhere in the umbilical that the water is causing the high resistance short across.
Just a couple more possibilities to check.

Chuck
cwbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My umbilical comes through the floor, intact in it's black sheathing. Completely sheltered from the weather. once inside, under the sofa, the individual wires terminate in a positive junction block encased in plastic box 6" up off the floor. Can't be that end. Could be the truck end connector, but it was up inside the propane cover...not that enough moisture could not have gotten to it, I suppose.

It's fine now, but I have a trip next week and a bit of rain is in the forecast. We'll see. Could be much adieu over naught.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If there is a high resistance short between the trailer battery and the camera/running lights, it is unlikely that there is anywhere near 12 volts on the wire. But if the camera has an internal regulator with a lot of overhead, it might still work. Be prepared to measure the voltage at the umbilical or one of the bulbs the next time it happens.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote