Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
G4s to LED

I'm thinking of converting all my G4 halogen bulbs to this

High Output G4 LED.

Another website

Voltage Regulated LED Converters - SailorSams.com

suggests that an LED Converter may be necessary but the site that I am planning to order from doesn't mention this.

I know that some on this forum have converted to LED and I am wondering if any found a converter nacessary.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ed
Buzzy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy4 View Post
I'm thinking of converting all my G4 halogen bulbs to this

High Output G4 LED.

Another website

Voltage Regulated LED Converters - SailorSams.com

suggests that an LED Converter may be necessary but the site that I am planning to order from doesn't mention this.

I know that some on this forum have converted to LED and I am wondering if any found a converter nacessary.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ed
Ed,

How about this: Electrical Inside : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
G4 Leds

I have changed out 4 G4 Halogen lights, 2 over the beds and 2 over the couch. I got the LED'S from Superbrightleds.com and found their price to be better than most other sites. Their site is a little intimidating, but if you log on and go to the RV, Marine & Landscape lights, then go to RV, Marine & Other Leds, then scroll down to the G4 Led section. On the right side click on the pictures of the lights, then select purchase. The ones I used were the warm white which have been recommended by a number of others who have made the switch to LED's. For the puck lights above the beds I used the G4B-WWHP10-D and for the drop down lights above the couch, I used the G4-WWHP15-T. They are not quite as bright as the halogen lights, but are very cool, which means they are using much less electricity. We are very pleased with the change to LED'S and may change out the 1141 light in the shower.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Buzzy...We have replaced about half our overhead halogen light bulbs with LEDs...and there was no converter necessary...since the overhead lights in our unit (and yours) are 12v...it's a simple switch out...take the halogen bulb out, put the LED in. Bingo.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I forgot to say that all you do is unplug the Halogen light bulbs and insert the LED light. Nothing else required, it just works. One of the most simple upgrades I have made.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Buzzy...We have replaced about half our overhead halogen light bulbs with LEDs...and there was no converter necessary...since the overhead lights in our unit (and yours) are 12v...it's a simple switch out...take the halogen bulb out, put the LED in. Bingo.
We did the same several years ago, no converter, no problems.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Been there, done that all the way back in 2005. I did an even bigger upgrade last year in my new trailer including units for the reading lights. The thread is starting to get long, but check the last page for up to date LED vendors.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...hts-17392.html
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Floyds Knobs , Indiana
My LED story

I appreciate all the information in this thread and thought I would share my experience and what worked for me in my 2006 classic.

I installed superbrightleds G4 WWH6-D for reading lights over the twin beds in the rear. I liked the lower light levels of the 5 watt halogens and this appears to be a good match. This is enough light to read or play cards.

Note: I did find that one of the clear lens caused a seperation of the yellow light on one causing blotchy light levels. This was objectionable. I swapped lens from one light to the other and the problem followed the lens. So a simple fix for me was to cut a disk shaped piece of baking parchment paper and just layed it in the lens. It worked beautifully and I have even non-blotchy light. Does anyone think this is a fire hazard?
This paper is good to 420 degrees.

I installed a superbrightleds WLED-WWHP6-D in the range light over the stove for a dry camping night light to keep us from killing ourselves when we come in from star gazing. This to appears to be the equivalent of a 5 watt halogen in light level. The fact that the wedge base didn't point down did not effect the light level that much.

I left the front reading lights over the couch 5 watt halogens for now.

I am not sure about using an LED in the bathroom shower light fixture.
I am concerned about moisture and the circuit board. So I replaced the high amperage 1141 with a Sylvania 5007 auto standard 5 watt bulb to minimize draw. If anyone has used an LED in the shower fixture and actually uses their shower I would be interested in your eperiences.

I think we have the best of both worlds. Dry camping lights and regular hook up lights.

Thanks to all and hopefully my post will help someone as well

Pappy
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
LED Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post

ODM moved all the LEDs to their own catalog group.

LED Lights : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

They also have a couple of new ones which are a replacement for the reading light halogens. You don't have to put on your sweats to read a book.

Warm white.

fix
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote