Old 10-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Covington , Louisiana
front window leak

I have read many references to the leaks in the area of the front windows and resulting floor rot. I have not found a repair recommendation described. I have repaired the floor in my Argosy 26 and want to correct the cause. Any advice on how to deal with the hardened materials of a light cream colored (plastic?) that seals the joint between the aluminum trim and the glass? Is the point of leakage the hardened material and failed bond to glass and aluminum?. How to remove and what to use in its place?

Bert

Old 10-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
can't picture this

Are you referring to a trim piece or a sealant? If its a sealant use Vulkem...avoid the silicones as mentioned everywhere. Use the search button above to research leaks and Argosy problems. Trim pices are a differernt subject. We have some real experienced Argosy folks here who will chime in this evening. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmando
I have read many references to the leaks in the area of the front windows and resulting floor rot. I have not found a repair recommendation described. I have repaired the floor in my Argosy 26 and want to correct the cause. Any advice on how to deal with the hardened materials of a light cream colored (plastic?) that seals the joint between the aluminum trim and the glass? Is the point of leakage the hardened material and failed bond to glass and aluminum?. How to remove and what to use in its place?

Bert
Please post a photo.

What your describing, if I understand you correctly, was never installed by Airstream.

Andy
Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Covington , Louisiana
Sorry about the poor description. I shall try again. The following description is what I see when looking at the curved fixed (inoperable) pieces of glass at either side (flanking) of the flat and also operable (awning type operation) window from the exterior of the trailer. This is about the curved glasses only, not the flat window between them. There is some kinde of sealant or plastic seal that is hard (inflexible) and it is obviously meant to seal and fill the space that would normally exist between the glass and the aluminum trim (measures 1 7/16") piece that surrounds the piece of glass and which alum. piece is riveted to the trailer. The space is presently filled with the hard plastic appearing material (perhaps hardened from UV & time). It is the problem that I had read other references to "Front Window Leaks" is it or is yet another leak that I may have also? Can you explain to me what is the problem / cause of front window leaks?
Well, I hope the description is less confusing that the first, as to pics am not sure how to go about, in the meanwhile I shall search for a good place to take a leak.

Thanks for the replies

Bert