Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Front Light

Seems like some illumination in the hitch area would be a good addition for Thor to add? Any input?

Will - Blue Skies

Lord, I Was Born a Ramblin' Man
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Easiest place to mount it would be right at the top edge of your propane tank cover. Easier than above the front window.

You could get an auxiliary light for an off-road vehicle. They're 12v, and many come with a snap-on cover to protect the lens when you're not using it. You can even get them in LED versions.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Will,
Ours has a small "marker" lite with a clear cover on the face of the power jack tube. Has a small push/push rubber covered button switch on the side of the tube. Looks like it was installed as OEM at the time, but ought to be easy to add one.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We have the light on the jack, but we almost never use it. And the times we do use it don't involve hooking or unhooking - I usually turn it on when we're loading the camper in the dark so we don't run into the tongue.

For the times when I do hook or unhook in the dark, I usually use a battery powered lantern. The problem with the light on the jack is that it throws the light toward the truck, which is no good for, say, the lifter bar brackets that are in the opposite direction.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
For the times when I do hook or unhook in the dark, I usually use a battery powered lantern. The problem with the light on the jack is that it throws the light toward the truck, which is no good for, say, the lifter bar brackets that are in the opposite direction.
I have a solution for that… I've used it for hooking up my toad to my Interstate before an early-morning departure. Get a battery-powered magnetic pool light, and stick it to your tailgate or bumper for hitching up. This is the kind that I bought:
Amazon.com : Good Times GT-100-FPL-2-WR Battery Operated Waterproof Magnetic Lights, 2-Pack : Above Ground Pool Lights : Patio, Lawn & Garden

They come in sets of two, so you you can stick one on each side. But remember to take them off before driving away; I don't know how well they'll stick when faced with bumps and potholes.

I also use my magnetic pool lights to supplement my anemic patio light on my Interstate. That won't work on most Airstreams unless you stick them on with Velcro instead of magnets. But being designed for use underwater in a pool, they're definitely waterproof enough for a rainstorm!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Anyone try one of these for the hitch area or entry door. I think a two pack would work, and they have a shiny metal Airstream look to them:
Amazon.com : Frostfire 16 Bright LED Wireless Solar Powered Motion Sensor Light (Weatherproof, no batteries required) : Landscape Path Lights : Patio, Lawn & Garden
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbguy View Post
Anyone try one of these for the hitch area or entry door. I think a two pack would work, and they have a shiny metal Airstream look to them:
Amazon.com : Frostfire 16 Bright LED Wireless Solar Powered Motion Sensor Light (Weatherproof, no batteries required) : Landscape Path Lights : Patio, Lawn & Garden
A motion-activated light would drive you nuts while driving down the highway unless it could also be switched completely off!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I added a marine LED deck light, and wired it to the hitch light switch. I will have the bracket welded to the hitch tube and remove the u-clamps for a cleaner look, but this floods the hitch area with light.

Also used a marine underwater light to replace the useless original light over the waste connections, and added one on the curb side under the hot water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00027.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	195015   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00028.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	195016  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00029.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	195017  
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Steamy1 - nice additions. I've also gone to wearing an LED headlamp over my cap in the dark some nights. Light goes where I am and where I need it.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote