Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Smile Exterior Light '72 Tradewind

I took the cover off my 72 tradewind and there is no bulb and wires were disconnected. There as a black wire at the back of the socket but white one was disconnected. Any ideahow to repair or what bulb and where to get new socket/fixture?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
I took the cover off my 72 tradewind and there is no bulb and wires were disconnected. There as a black wire at the back of the socket but white one was disconnected. Any ideahow to repair or what bulb and where to get new socket/fixture?
Which light?

The entrance door light or the round "scare" light?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Gillette , Wyoming
Andy,

I have a similar problem, my overhead light socket is missing on my 74 TW. What kind of socket was it?? The wires are still there, but no socket. Also there is a switch by the door that doesn't turn on anything, I assume it is for that light.

Thanks,

"Listen, do you smell something?" - Dr. Ray Stantz
mickeymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymoose View Post
Andy,

I have a similar problem, my overhead light socket is missing on my 74 TW. What kind of socket was it?? The wires are still there, but no socket. Also there is a switch by the door that doesn't turn on anything, I assume it is for that light.

Thanks,
Exactly "which" overhead light?

Be specific, and then we can help you.

Andy
Old 05-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I just replaced the socket fixture on the exterior dome light that is located just above my door. The original was rusted out. I spliced in a bayonet style "Universal Double Contact Socket Assembly" (sold as a tail-lamp socket) that had a 5-6" pigtail. Sorry, I can't recall which size bulb I grabbed. Switch inside now turns on the dome - though I haven't used it yet! Though I have used the *scare* light a few times --- pretty scary!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Mobile By Way Of Atlanta, By Way Of Denver! , Alabama
GREAT question! I have a 1972 Tradewind and it's lacking an internal light fixture above the door... just wires...

Why such a common problem?
72BamaStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
The one on my '73 was rusted badly and appeared to have been replaced once before. I suspect rust plays a big role. I replaced mine with a blue LED. Still works well after a couple of years and nothing there to rust any longer.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Gillette , Wyoming
Sorry Andy, I was jumping off your question in the previous post. I need a socket for the entrance door light. Is it a common socket like Laura said? Would a LED be better? If so, what kind did you use Jim?

Also Andy, it looks like the seal on the light cover is bad, is that the probable culprit to the removed socket?

"Listen, do you smell something?" - Dr. Ray Stantz
mickeymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
I'd have to look up the brand name. I bought a 4-pack at AutoZone made for automotive use for about $25. I made a mount for the other three and put them under the steps. Very useful & brite.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
The one on my '73 was rusted badly and appeared to have been replaced once before. I suspect rust plays a big role. I replaced mine with a blue LED. Still works well after a couple of years and nothing there to rust any longer.

Jim

Are all the LED components plastic? I don't think I know what type of mounts you're using - but sounds great. Especially mounting them at the stairs too. I'm guessing they're not wired????
Laura
Old 05-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
I think so. I wrote about in my "Full Monte" thread. I'll post a link later.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I think so. I wrote about in my "Full Monte" thread. I'll post a link later.

Jim
Thanks for the info Jim ... found your post for the extra step lighting in your "full monte", page 27:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...-15132-27.html

Not certain if I can tackle the wiring necessary for this - but it's sure cool!

Laura
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymoose View Post
Sorry Andy, I was jumping off your question in the previous post. I need a socket for the entrance door light. Is it a common socket like Laura said? Would a LED be better? If so, what kind did you use Jim?

Also Andy, it looks like the seal on the light cover is bad, is that the probable culprit to the removed socket?
The seal on the light over the entrance door is "Vulkem."

Airstream used a single wire socket and a two wire socket as well.

Airstream has now changed to using an automotive type socket that uses a plug-in type small bulb, similair to the bulb that's used in the later model clearance lights.

LED's would work, but I don't think they would provide as much light that would be desired.

Andy
Old 05-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Sorry you had to dig for that. I have to limit internet use at work (especially these days).

Basically, I ran a new wire to the steps from the over-the-door light while the inner walls were out. That may not be an option for you. Like Andy, I was afraid "blue" light wouldn't be bright enough. But the combination of 4 (one up, three down) gives plenty of light to navigate the steps in darkness. Besides, I kinda like the "Airstream" blue color.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Light over Door Tradewind

I took the fixture apart and cleaned out the contacts with a wire brush and some WD40 but when I metered the wire(s) going in there was no 12volts. There were 2 wires but only 1 was needed for power. Neither was connected. Don't know what the other one was for. Next step was to take the light switch apart that's next to the door. I metered it and there was no power going into it. I Ohm metered the other wire (think it was white) to the one coming out of the socket and knew that that was the one that was supposed to power the light. I tried the other wires that were behind the switch plate and none of them carried 12V. Don't know what all the wires were for but there wasn't any consistent color pattern white, red or black. I knew that the other outdoor light worked (the outdoor round light). It's switch is identical to the door light and it's about 3' away next to the couch. So I decided to pull a new wire from the hot side of the switch to the door light switch. found out it wasn't so easy as there was a aluminum brace right before the window so had to drill a small hole through it to get wire pulled. It worked and now I have a working light.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote