Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
So putting the power supplies and receivers/interface into the fridge compartment was fairly easy. There are 4 wires coming off each unit RGB and power. I had designed the strips to start close to this compartment but the bad news is that the compartment sits over the wheel well so there's no direct route to the bottom of the trailer. On my 25' Safari the closet is right next to the fridge so I drilled a hole into the lower side of the closet thinking I could go down through the bottom and drill through the belly pan.
However this space is loaded with the plumbing to fill the fresh water tank and below is the black and grey water tank dumps. I needed about a 1/4" hole for the wire I had bought to bring 8 wires all bundled in a single jacket. I spent over 4 hrs trying to drill though all this area from the bottom up with a trip to Home Depot to get a 10" long paddle drill bit to go from bottom aluminum through insulation and them though plywood decking. Eventually with the help of my wife I had a wire run from fridge area to the underside of the trailer where I could make the wire connections.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
The first outing took a little modifications. A wire connection tripped a breaker in the trailer that wouldn't reset. Turned out that the AC outlet that the fridge plugs into is part of the GFCI circuit so when I added a 3 way plug for the power supplies it would trip the circuit. I removers one of the power supplies to the led strips and connected all sections to that one loop without problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4013384296.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	519.8 KB
ID:	202712  

Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
I have been thinking of this very project and I have two 5M rolls of 5050 LEDs but now I am thinking of running in rain and with the oil residue coming up from wet pavement etc that the adhesive is going to let go sooner or later and you will have a hanging wire situation. As well cold weather may release the adhesive.

Thusly I am now rethinking the various application modes and more along the lines of LED Modules that can be attached to the belly pan with self tapping No 8 hex drive metal screws. The modules seem to be waterproof but make sure before you order and they come in colors and if you don't want to run through wheel wells just splice in jumper wire in the circuit.

There there is the question of whether you want them on while running wired through your tail light circuit or just want to have the ability to use them in camp grounds and exterior lighting.

I am going to wire in a Astron 7 amp power supply and run circuits out from it. Figure I will put it in behind microwave and plug it into that recepticle so when shore line is hooked up the second circuit is up and running automatically. The Astrons are used by Ham Radio operators (de AC4HT) and are controlled right on 13.8 volts for a solid steady power delivery which gives long life. If I remember my calculations right a 7 amp Astron should power up to 33 watts of LEDs and that is a lot of lights. They also come in 10, 12, 15 and 20 amps but of course they are bigger/heavier.

Note: you will see smaller power supplies advertised for these but for the cost of two or three of these good for one circuit you can get a Astron for same price and run perhaps 16 circuits. You can pick up Astron 7 amps on ebay for 20.00 to 50.00 used (which is what I did). A Ham had added two 4 terminal junction blocks to top of unit thusly I can run 8 circuits at one time. If anyone wants to see how he did this PM me and I will email you a picture of how he did it.

I just got a 500 ft roll of 18/2 AWG shielded and color coded red/black for this second wiring program and will control all of them with shallow rough boxes and 120V commercial light switches next to our twin beds that are right over the wheel wells giving easy access to outside without drilling. I got it on clearance at Lowes and got about $15.00 off on it. I also have a partial spool of 22/4 AWG (flea market find) I could run soldered to end of 18AWG outside thus one hot line becomes 2. These will not be grounded on AS but return to Astron to make the circuit.

The modules come in white, red, green and blue depending on your desires. Below is a good pic of how they come and shows the mounting holes for attaching them to surfaces. They have adhesive on the backs for the initial placement but as indicated I don't think it would last long haul with road film,vibration etc. Least ways with the screws you could apply a drop of Loctite 222 to screw threads which should eliminate the vibration loosening problem.

40pcs SMD5630 White 6000K 3 LEDs Module Waterproof DC12V High Lumens | eBay

5630 LEDs give the most light,then 5050 slighly less and then there is the 3000 range lights that are much less. Thus if you do a search add in either of those numbers and make sure they say they are waterproof because I have come across some LEDs that are not waterproof. Also the white or bright white are just that but the WARM WHITE gives the appearance of a standard incandescent bulb light.

I thought as a first circuit I would put in a line down the curb side looking outboard to give ground light for walking around outside at night.

Note: All the LEDs I have run up on yet are wired with 23AWG thusly 22AWG or heavier should take care of anything you need I would think.

Also to be considered if you run them in blue, red or green they don't destroy your night vision. Thusly I have blue LEDs in truck cab overhead so they can be turned on and still see to drive.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
I have been thinking of this very project and I have two 5M rolls of 5050 LEDs but now I am thinking of running in rain and with the oil residue coming up from wet pavement etc that the adhesive is going to let go sooner or later and you will have a hanging wire situation. As well cold weather may release the adhesive.
Rope lights can be securely fastened using the same hangers you would use for equivalent-diameter pipe or tubing.

Just make sure the hanger is in between LED bulbs on the rope light, not covering an LED bulb.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I had some small LEDs mounted under the B190 with double sided tape, and I always figured they would eventually pop loose, but it didn't happen in the 6 years we had the B190 with them installed. I don't know if my installation was in a spot that normally got wet despite being under the vehicle, though - I never crawled under after driving in the rain to look. But, surely, in some of the weather I drove in, they would've gotten wet at least a few times.

That said, go with what makes you comfortable. A couple of the hangers Protag suggested seem like a good idea to me. I'd probably go with smaller plastic wire clips like this if the LED strips fit in them (those are metal and would work, too, but you get the idea).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
As well they would mount with No 8 self tapping metal screws with 1/4" hex head.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My husband wired a 12v wire specifically for the underbelly LEDs when he rewired the Bambi II. He REALLY wanted these lights on the trailer. He mounted a switch for them on the underside of the A-frame & reinforced the adhesive that came on the roll of lights with gasket adhesive. They made it on a 2,000 mile trip without falling off! You can see them on my avatar. Our grand kids love to see me switch them on for the night :-)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #22
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Strongly recommend fastening with the VHB tape. This stuff really, really holds fast!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
A friends business sells a lot of LED products and I just wondered if you'd considered aluminum bar LED's at all as they come with nice little mounting clips then you wouldn't need the sticky tape? ( I do have lighting business too but I don't sell these so I hope I'm not breaking any rules mentioning them). I bought some of the strips for the interior of my Overlander and like the way they are put together, waterproof strong etc etc.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
VHB tape?????? new one on me.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
VHB tape?????? new one on me.
This is not your Mother's two sided tape!

VHB Acrylic Foam Tape :3M US

VHB Applications

You can get it on Ebay or Amazon.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ah yes, must be similar to what 3M uses on the diamond pattern conspicuity material. Once it goes on it is there.

Met a aircraft design engineer a few years back and he will telling me aircraft skin is now held together with adhesive and rivets are out.

Yes, the stuff we grew up with has been long surpassed and now we have to do research to take advantage of it.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , Florida
I put blue led strips from CoastalNightLights.com under my 27FB. I'm planning on adding two more in the rear soon. The lights are made by a good guy that I've gotten spreader led lights for my boat, backup lights on my truck, and the led strips.

All the lights are still working great and I've had the led spreader lights on my truck for 5 years under my bumper exposed to the elements of driving. The led strips I've had on for just about a year and they're doing well.

I got a remote control module from LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS that I can dim the lights with. Here's a couple of pictures of the lights in action.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	210780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream (1).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	210781  

Name:	image_zps4b714ef2.jpg