Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
San Clemente , California
Exterior LED strip lighting

Has anyone installed exterior LED strip lighting under their awning? If so, how was it wired? I'm thinking of installing some, but want to look at ideas for running the wiring. Thanks!
Ktholin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I haven't installed 'exterior'...at least on the AS. Primarily because of the wiring issue. An 'easy' exit is to route out of the Fridge vent...the problem is that wiring is 'exposed' to weather, wind, etc.. but it can be done.

You might also route through the roof between a 'sewer vent pipe' and 'secure' well.

I would then 'stick' the LEDs under the ZipDee aluminum cover so that it is 'protected'... and run the wiring out the rear of the housing. Make your connections beneath the 'cover'...

ALWAYS FUSE properly..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks for a couple of good suggestions.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
have you thought of adding an 'LED Driver' to the circuit? You can then control brightness, too.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Wife and I went to an RV show about a week or so ago. Led's under the awning looked to be all the rage on the new SOB trailers. Thought it was a good idea too, curious if there is any aftermarket source for a strip that would mount to the exterior or just go with one of the "weatherproof" led strips that are sold on ebay or Amazon for example.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I'll be interested in the replies here..... until I figure out if or how I'll add LED lights, I'll be sticking with our 1960's-vintage Coleman lantern.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
Always worth browsing oznium and superbrightleds (both .com), lot of neat options on those sites. I've done car, household, and a few work project LED swaps with what they offer.
flaagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You can power from the 12vdc in the Fridge compartment and "unplug whenever stowed.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The factory drills a hole at the bottom of the end awning support arms for power awnings (long unpowered awnings have a center support). Unfortunately, early models had NO grommet so the wiring chafed on the aluminum hole edge and eventually could short out.

If the bottom of the awning support were behind some furniture and near the front where the 12Vdc wiring is located, that could be a logical location to install a weatherproof 12Vdc power point. Then after parking and extending the awning, one could wrap a long lead up the arm to the awning roll bar and attach 12Vdc LED lights using velcro to pre-glued strips on the awning roll.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I use a blue LED rope light under my awning. Using double sided exterior tape I attached small plastic clips. Put the lights up after setting up and remove prior to hitting the road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1295
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	231598

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I've looked at this; there's plenty of room in the stainless steel portion of the awning cover for an LED strip, even rolled up. Using the factory waterproof strips with the silicone rubber covers is difficult because it is difficult to glue - I had to use a two-part cyanoacrylate to get it to stick inside around the bathroom perimeter, and I'm dubious about using that outside. I will likely use the non-waterproof LED strips w/ the 3M adhesive backing, and apply a waterproofing like Ducky Electro-Seal. The strips will get quite warm during the day since the sun heats the other side.

For wiring I'm inclined to sneak some wires out a well sealed clamshell marine vent at the aft end of the awning, depending on what I can get to from inside. I'd definitely use a dimmer so that I can adjust the brightness to match the surroundings. Using RGB LEDs to adjust the color would be cool, too.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I ordered a stip of "waterproof" led's off Amazon last night for around 10 bucks. When the weather gets a bit warmer will look and see how I want to install it. I like Barts idea of the marine clamshell vent to bring the wire inside and may go with a dimmer as well.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 02-03-2015, 05:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Not as good looking as what you have in mind I'm sure, but I just use a 110v rope light that I clip to the valence along the outer edge of the awing. I use some simple plastic spring clips that I bought someplace and they are zip tied every foot or so along the rope light. I just run an extension cord on the end awning arm and plug into the outside receptacle.

I did find that my clips didn't have as much grip as I would like and sometimes the lights would drop down. I fixed this by just bending some coat hanger wire into a double ended hook so I can solidly hang the rope light at each end from the awning roller tube.

I works fine and gives lots of light, but doesn't look nearly as slick as the ones that use a nice straight led tape stuck onto the underside of the roller tube. My son in law bought the kit to install one on his fifth wheel - looks very nice. Not so easy to do on the Zip Dee design though.

One problem withe the setup I have is that if it is at all windy - or is predicted to be so, I like to roll the awning in if we will be away from the trailer and also overnight. That means the light rope has to come down each time, then be re-installed. Makes me a bit less enthused to use it!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #14
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
I finished installing strip lighting and very pleased with the results. I purchased a 15 meter strip of multicolored lights which fit our 16 foot awning perfectly. It can be cut at various lengths if need be. Together with the remote and controller total kit ran about $100.

I laid painters tape to mark a straight edge about 3 inches below the awning tube. I considered placing the strip on the inside aluminum strip of the roller, however the problem with this placement is the lights won't show if the awning is rolled up. This placement allows the lights to be seen with and without the awning out. The The LED strip is aluminum colored so it blends pretty well and is barely noticeable.

I ran the wires from the end of the strip up around the end of the roller tube on to the roof, under my solar panels and down along the bathroom vent tube and to the 12V fuse panel. Total installation took about 2.5 hours.

Below is a photo of the lights. The remote allows brightness control and color selection. There are programmed color sequences as well.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423150585.785865.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	231757

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423150611.853215.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	231758

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Cool. I picked up a 3 meter lenght of white LEDs from Amazon that came in yesterday, and this is pretty much what I want to do as well. Probably going to wait till a bit warmer weather too. I may wire it in with the light above the door or run it in separately, not sure yet. Your installation looks good.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktholin View Post
I finished installing strip lighting and very pleased with the results. I purchased a 15 meter strip of multicolored lights which fit our 16 foot awning perfectly. It can be cut at various lengths if need be. Together with the remote and controller total kit ran about $100.

I laid painters tape to mark a straight edge about 3 inches below the awning tube. I considered placing the strip on the inside aluminum strip of the roller, however the problem with this placement is the lights won't show if the awning is rolled up. This placement allows the lights to be seen with and without the awning out. The The LED strip is aluminum colored so it blends pretty well and is barely noticeable.

I ran the wires from the end of the strip up around the end of the roller tube on to the roof, under my solar panels and down along the bathroom vent tube and to the 12V fuse panel. Total installation took about 2.5 hours.

Below is a photo of the lights. The remote allows brightness control and color selection. There are programmed color sequences as well.

Attachment 231757

Attachment 231758

Looks great! Can you post the product info?

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 02-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Looks super sharp Ktholin. Please post the source! That really does look S H A R P.
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #18
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
I picked them up at a local RV supplier. I'll get the info when we return home in a few days.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #19
Grey Goose

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
The LED kits can be found at www.rickstrailersupply.com. Go to the online store and type "LED strip" in the search box. I used a 16 foot color strip with controller and remote.

You may have to call them as the website has only limited info. (949) 498-2348 ask for Brian. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have one of these kits from Amazon. It is the same kit that RV stores sell for $150.

Amazon.com: LEDwholesalers 16.4ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, Controller with 44-button Remote and Power Supply, 2034RGB+3315+3215: Musical Instruments

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote