Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
exterior leaky clearance running lights..

I have an 05 safari FB with teardrop clearance lights. I was told by an airstream supplier that I have to buy the whole light assembly just to get the light gray color foam seal that the lens seals against on the mounting base. Over time where the lens sits on the seal, it crushes the foam, allows moisture to get in and condinsate on the inside of the lens. The lens has stamped data on it, ( SAE PC93 NANE 1235). Does anybody know who the manufacture might be, with a phone number? So that I may be able to buy just the seals only, yes I know they have new LED replacments lights. Thanks...
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari25-05 View Post
I have an 05 safari FB with teardrop clearance lights. I was told by an airstream supplier that I have to buy the whole light assembly just to get the light gray color foam seal that the lens seals against on the mounting base. Over time where the lens sits on the seal, it crushes the foam, allows moisture to get in and condinsate on the inside of the lens. The lens has stamped data on it, ( SAE PC93 NANE 1235). Does anybody know who the manufacture might be, with a phone number? So that I may be able to buy just the seals only, yes I know they have new LED replacments lights. Thanks...
Go to any craft store or Walmart and get a sheet of the thin craft foam. Just trace the original seal with a ball point pen and cut them out with scissors. Kinda' like grade 1 all over again.

You will probably get 10 seals for about $1. You can even double up the seals if you wish. It worked for me.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
A couple alternatives for you. One is shower pan liner - by the linear foot at big box hardware. That's if the lights sit relatively tight against the skin. If you need something thicker get black pipe saddle gasket from the same place - it comes in squares you can probably get 4 gaskets per from. Both of these will last you for years. Cut the gasket with an exacto knife to the shape of the light body.

The problem you run into cutting gaskets for these is people (like me) will try to poke the screw thru the gasket or just pre-punch a small hole. That causes the gasket to pull away from the edge of the light when you install it. A paper punch can be used. Better is a rotating head leather punch - cheapest from Harbor Freight if you have one in the area. I looked everywhere for the gaskets - no one seems to sell them and Airstream was the only place I found even the lights that included them. Good luck...

Harbor Freight Tools
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari25-05 View Post
Actually, your lights are probably leaking from the center screw, as there is nothing under the screw to make it water tight. You need to replace the screw (metric thread) with a stainless steel one, add the correct size SS washer, and then the appropriate size neoprene O-ring. This will stop the water leak. It usually IS NOT THE GASKET!

I have these components available, but they are in my shop in FL, and I won't be back there until 11-1-08.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I reccomend a small bead of clear silicone along the top of the light. I have seen this happen on many trailers not just Airstreams. Race trailers have the bead as the same color as the sides. If you can find silver silicone have at it. But I use a small bead of clear. No one ever knows. Just along the top side. not all the way around.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Silicone doesn't like aluminum, it will look fine and be leaking. If you must, use Vulkem. Note that the bottom of these lights is open, to let water out, they are not really supposed to be sealed. Much better to properly seal the hole into the trailer, and let the lights be as designed
someisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I reccomend a small bead of clear silicone along the top of the light. I have seen this happen on many trailers not just Airstreams. Race trailers have the bead as the same color as the sides. If you can find silver silicone have at it. But I use a small bead of clear. No one ever knows. Just along the top side. not all the way around.
On the newer trailers, it is the mounting screw that holds the lense to the base where water enters the light. I HAVE ONE......I KNOW! These are different lights than used on the earlier models. The simple and efective solution is placing an O-ring on the screw that holds on the lense, creating a tight water-proof seal.

Silicone is NEVER A SOLUTION to any sealing or leaking problems on any RV!!!

Use it at your own risk, as it WILL create problems for you in the near future. For sealing, use a high quality polyurethane sealant like SikaFlex 221. It bonds to anything, cures from moisture in the air, and is virtually bomb-proof.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Lew said it rite..

First, replace those screws with stainless, by the time the bulb needs replacement they very well may be corroded in place.

Second, an o-ring under the head, turn the gasket over, a little Permitex Dielectric grease on the base of the bulb, screw and around the base of the lens and don't overtighten.

Worked well for us.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Speaking of sealing Has anyone used "Geocel instant gutter seal" Even comes in Aluminum gray...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Speaking of sealing Has anyone used "Geocel instant gutter seal" Even comes in Aluminum gray...
Er... that's off topic. A search on the single word 'gutter' should return plenty of hits IIRC.

Lew's fix works very well! Take out one of the screws from the transparent cover and go to ACE hardware and have 'em match up the same diameter stainless metric screw. I couldn't find the same length -- got almost double the length and there is plenty of space inside the housing to accommodate that. ACE's O rings were extravagantly priced. I got my O rings from Home Depot. You may notice some light rust on the OEM screws -- that's because they are only nickel coated steel. You want the stainless. This is really a very east at-home fix.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Or..

I had my trailer at Jackson Center last week and paid them to replace the 05 clearance lights with the new 08-up LEDs. They are cool because they do not have even a screw, I think the lens' pop on or something.

I have to vouch for the intensity as well, these things are BRIGHT./.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Silvertwinkie did his own LED marker light replacement. Don't know of a thread... Eric?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
I had my trailer at Jackson Center last week and paid them to replace the 05 clearance lights with the new 08-up LEDs. They are cool because they do not have even a screw, I think the lens' pop on or something.

I have to vouch for the intensity as well, these things are BRIGHT./.
Can you post a picture of the new LED clearance lights installed on your trailer?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Bulb first.

Go to NAPA buy an LED replacement bulb, see if you like 'em.

Interesting to know how much JC is charging for this up-grade.

How much is just the assembly?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up No tears in the teardrops

A method for sealing...

I removed the factory gasket. Cleaned the housing with body solvent. (Kent Acrosol) turned the gasket over, applied Permatex Black Weatherstrip Cement and stretched it slightly to fit under the lip of the housing.

Replaced mount screw with stainless machine screw, installed o-ring on the inside of lens.(keeps the screw from coming out when removed)

Apply Permatex Dielectric Grease to screw,O-ring and the edge of the lens. Easier to remove lens without damage to gasket.

Did this three seasons ago, no tears since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SEALING THE TEARDROPS 001.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	66890   Click image for larger version

Name:	SEALING THE TEARDROPS 002.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	66891  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SEALING THE TEARDROPS 004.jpg