Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Exterior door, flood light

Hi,
Has anyone ever snaked a line from the over the door light to the flood light. If so are their holes in the ribs?? How hard is it?

I have no power to the over the door light, so I intend to get the power from the flood light which has power. Thanks in advance for advice.

Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
It might be easier to find the problem

How come the over the door light does not have power? Work from the door light switch and the light to follow the wiring. I think that if you chase that problem it would be far simpler than removing panels, drilling holes, inserting grommets and fishing wire.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Been there done that

Yes it was a PITA. I had to drill though a rib channel that was just below the window. Then pulled a wire through the opening. My outdoor scare light worked but the over the door "porch" light didn't, no power going in to the switch. Put a long extension on the drill like about 8" and had to pull out the switch and AC outlet box (cut all electric power to the trailer during this).
Then was able to get the drill in sideways to drill through the alum. NOTE: I did also puncture the outside skin in this process with a BB size hole, so be careful. Think used about a 1/3" paddle bit. After drilling, used a coathanger pulled the wire through to the other side and replaced the dead wire going into the switch. Voila lights on now. There were a lot of strange wires going to/from the switch and they were different colors at the light so I haven't a clue what was up on the original wiring. To test the concept you can use a wire from the hot side of the scare light and run it outside the panel over to the switch on the porch light. If it works then proceed with drilling pulling. I used a meter to test the power on both switches (DC 12V). This told me what the power was supposed to be going into the switch and that there was 12V on the scare light but not on the porch light.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote