Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Entry Ceiling Light Not Working, '07 Classic.

The entry switch at the door that powers the ceiling light does not work. I checked for power at the ceiling light, no power. I pulled the cover off and removed the switch assembly and checked for power, no power. This is the only light that is affected.

Q. Is there a junction point that I can check and start to isolate this supply line?

Q. Is there a full 120VAC wiring diagram and physical location chart available?

Thanks,
GCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
The lights on airstreams are 12 volt and not 120 vac. Has any thing been done to your baby lately. I have to reinstall the front vent on my 69 because when I replaced it last year I disconnected a wire up there and now the same light you are talking about doesn't work. I used to work on electrical on autos years ago and shorts are usually caused by a human. While they are doing another repair or installing something like a stereo.
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
_

. , .
u may have know this...

but the fluorescent thinlite in the lounge that can be turned on/off at the door...

ALSO has an on/off switch RIGHT ON THE CEILING FIXTURE.

if THAT switch is in the OFF position, the power is cut,

and the 2ndary switch at the entry will not work.

it's also possible the bulbs are toast, there is a breaker issue, OR loose wire behind the fixture,

but check the ceiling/fixture switch first.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Time to eat some squirrel stew.

I ASSUMED that a flourescent light was 120VAC, now after chasing this further, it is 12VDC.

I have 12VDC at the switch at the light, both switches work, I switched tubes, no luck.

Looks like the ballast/starter/circuit board is not working.

Sorry for wasting anyone's time on this one.

PS arodriguez60, nothing new done to it except a NEWBIE owner.

I made 2 NEWBIE errors last night when we backyard camped. Really nice evening, cooked some chicken, movie, sleep, wake up at 5AM, really cold, got up turned on heater, 7:30 make coffee and notice that I left the window open over the dinette. AAARRGGH! And then using 120VAC thinking on a 12VDC circuit, and I graduated with an Associate in Electrical Engineering Technology from Lorain (Ohio) County Community College.

Have a nice day, thanks for your help.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC View Post

Looks like the ballast/starter/circuit board is not working.

I have made my opinion about the quality of ThinLite ballasts in the past so I won't go back into that again. I just bought a couple of replacements last month from Solarseller.com and was pleased with the price and the service. They were $19 each with $8.60 shipping. Much cheaper than buying locally. They came quickly too.

I have replaced one of the ballasts in the bedroom, but haven't quite gotten around to doing the other. It still comes on, but if it doesn't cool completely before you turn it back on (you know, "Oops, I forgot something.") the tubes barely light up. The installed new one works perfectly, and is simple to change out.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic S/O
Vaughan,

My first experience with the Thin-Lite fixtures, I don't know how many hours are on the fixture, but I don't think it's a lot. I'll check out the link you posted and see what I'm gonna do.

First outing is Easter weekend, I sure do want everything in working order, now where do I get a spare ballast for the owners brain?

I found a spare set of tubes from PO, $11.19 for a pair, yikes!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC View Post
Vaughan,

My first experience with the Thin-Lite fixtures, I don't know how many hours are on the fixture, but I don't think it's a lot. I'll check out the link you posted and see what I'm gonna do.

First outing is Easter weekend, I sure do want everything in working order, now where do I get a spare ballast for the owners brain?

I found a spare set of tubes from PO, $11.19 for a pair, yikes!
That price on the tubes sounds about right. I have replaced all the cool white tubes in my Excella with Philips Soft White (warm white) ones from Home Depot. They are just under six dollars each. I really like the color of the warm white vs the cool white. To me, the cool whites make everything look like it is under water.

I find that I also get short tube life in the Thin-Lites. I suspect that this is also due to problems with the ballasts, since this type of tube lasts almost forever in AC fixtures. I keep replacement tubes on hand. On a flat surface like the bottom of a cabinet or the ceiling, there may be other alternatives. The bathroom cabinets on either side of the mirror and the shelf fixtures in the bedroom are made to fit specific Thin-Lite fixtures, the Model 112.

As far as that owner's brain spare, let me know when you find a good source.

Enjoy your upcoming outing!