Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Electrical issues-66 Safari

66 Safari, a derelict recovered form the deep sleep in a woods of upper Mich. for 8 years.
Finally got the turns , running lights , brake lights working after tracing the correct wires between the TV and the TT. nice and bright!That was a couple days ago.

Yesterday I pulled all the bulbs for the upper running lights meaning to
replace them all, as none were working
Today I plug the TV and the TT together and take some readings across the upper running lights and found the first couple reading 3.8 volts... Not good... I go to the back of the TT and the bulbs were very weak. Turned on the turn signal, either direction and and all lights flash, step on the brake and all lights go out.

Unhooked the the TV and the TT, hooked up the battery in the TT and jumped across the TT plug and all lights shine very brightly... What is going on? Possibly bad ground between TT and TV. BTW I also jumped all curcuits on the TV and they also all showed good voltage. Help... I'm runnin out of hair---
Barry

Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere. I would run a jumper from the TT to the TV to ground them both and see what happens. Also, one of my tail light assemblies lost it's ground and I got some weird light combinations till I figured it out....Good luck.............Phil.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
At Least A Bad Ground...

and perhaps more. But you can't trouble shoot until you make sure the trailer ground has not been compromised by corrosion or a break in the ground wire.

Once you have a good ground, and if you have a good battery in the trailer, try trouble shooting the running lights while disconnected from the tow vehicle by jumping the the top two, female sockets on either side of the raised guide shaft on your 7-lead trailer pig tail. (There is a whole thread on this topic, but I don't know how to link it to your thread)

This will allow you to separate TV wiring issues issues from trailer wiring issues,
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Well that didn't help...I ran a wire from battery ground of the TV to the ground connection on the trailer side of the TV to TT connection ..made no difference.. A side note of interest..When I put the flashers on the license plate light also flashs... other wise it does not come on when the running lights are on......
Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
By doing so, you still haven't established that your trailer is grounded.
Forget the tow vehicle. If you have a trailer battery, isolate the trailer from the two vehicle and check to see if the trailer lights work when you aren't connected to a tow vehicle.
You can do this by working your way with a jumper with one end plugged into the battery terminal of the 7-pin connector on the trailer and working from one socket (terminal) to the next. You can check brake lights, tail lights (and running lights), trailer brakes, etc. without being connected to the tow vehicle.
If they don't work when you aren't hitched, they sure won't work when you are.
If they do work when you aren't hitched, but everything goes to @#$%& when you plug into the TV, then you don't have the same wiring scheme on TV and trailer
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
I'd put a fuse in the jumper just in case you hit a good ground with it. Now you know why a lot of electrical people don't have a lot of hair, they keep pulling it out....Like Ken's idea though....Phil.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I wrote in the first post>>Unhooked the the TV and the TT, hooked up the battery in the TT and jumped across the TT plug and all lights shine very brightly...

I guess I wasn't clear enough... I tested all the circuits with the trailer's own battery and plug going from contact to contact across the plug and all lights work except the upper running lights.

I also had all lights working the other day when plugged into the TV, but now they aren't, so I am wondering what could have made the difference?
I pulled all the upper running light bulbs out , could that have made the difference?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Do you have an adapter between the 7-pin connector on the TV and the 6-pin trailer connector like we do? Our most recent tail and running light problem was caused by a bad adapter.

In attempting to replace the bad adapter, I found out that there are two kinds. The one with the 12v DC power on the center pin turned out to be the one we needed.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Hmmm... my trailer plug has 7 wires.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
After a bit more head scratching, and hair pulling, I cleaned a good spot on the TV and the TT, then connected a ground wire between them , and the stars aligned!! Now that I have good ground , I need to figure out whether it's the TT or the TV that is the problem. My guess , only because the TT sat in a woods for 8 years is that it's the trailer. Is there an actual ground cable? Possibly just run a wire from the neg batt. to the frame as a new ground? Maybe another from the aluminum body to frame also? Suggestions?
Thanks Barry
Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
One of the wires in the vehicle to trailer is a ground. It should have a good connection to the vehicle chassis and the trailer frame. So start at one end or the other and check all connections, both hard connections(wire to frame) and wire to plug (male and female).My ground is white but check with a meter first just to be sure....Got any hair left????....Phil.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
you probably did, but when you were doing the testing, did you actually hook up the hitch? that of course is the ground, even pull the trailer with the TV a little to make sure you have good connection.

kevin
Old 09-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
you probably did, but when you were doing the testing, did you actually hook up the hitch?kevin
I didn't do that as that is not what I would consider a good positive ground. I know now it's a ground issue, but as of yet i haven't found what is a ground to frame wire on the TT. It must be hidden somewhere that can't be seen, so I will run a separate wire from body to ground. and battery to ground. That should take care of the trailer. I also noticed the same issue with the upper running lights. As I drilled through the first rivet the running light got brighter as the drill bit made the ground between the light housing and the body better..

Anyone got a recommendation to where the ground to frame wire may be on this trailer? BTW all interior lights both 12v and 110v work fine, though the interior lights get brighter on 110v.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
I have a 1968 Globetrotter and after the rewire we did and upgrade we found the ground attached to the rt rear frame rail exiting(upper). It grounds off the convertor through the floor to the steel frame. You can get schematics off the web or from your owners manual. Keep cool, you'll find it!
Randy