Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Dummy Inverter Receptacles on newer Airstreams

I have a 2013 25FB and some of the inverter receptacles are blank on the bottom half. I thought that whoever makes these, more than likely doesn't make them without the contacts.

So, I cut open the blanks with an Exacto knife and what do you know they work!

FYI turn off the inverter and pull the negitive battery terminal and unplug the trailer.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is strange why Airstream did that, huh? I wound up just putting a cube tap in the one outlet that was provided. Your solution is also an interesting find. Thanks.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Maybe they did that to make it harder to overload the inverter.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
They did, but it also makes it hard to charge two phones.

As long as you can add a person should be alright. Add up the watts stay below what the inverter is. (700, 800, 1000)

The inverter is also protect with fusses.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
They make these trailers for everyone and someone will plug an electric skillet in one half and a coffee pot in the other, then complain they should only have one side available when it burns out the inverter.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Some of the 110 volt also have a blank bottom half. I wonder now if there is an active outlet behind the blank. I think that I will do a little investigating tomorrow.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Dummy Inverter Receptacles on newer Airstreams

Yes there is an active outlet! Just cut it out with the power off

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-13-2014, 11:30 PM   #8

2003 22' International CCD
Port Orchard , Washington
I accidentally purchased some of these in hardware stores...
At first I thought the electrical covers were victim plastic over pour.

The top outlet usable, the bottom holes filled in with plastic.

Then I saw some in use, mostly in the kitchen. I thought to cut down on the amount of items being plugged into older homes, to avoid blowing fuses. Or because a lot of older home wall outlets were so low to the ground it may have been a code violation and the covers used for safety reasons.

Those uses were in old homes.
Maybe there are electrical code height regulations in our trailers and they had to cover the bottom outlet to make them legal. Versus removing an aluminum panel, reinstalling and cutting a new hole just a bit higher.

Then again maybe it was just plastic overflow.

I don't know. Are there safety codes and regulations for the construction of new trailers and motorhomes similar to those of homes?
Talowaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:11 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talowaho View Post
I don't know. Are there safety codes and regulations for the construction of new trailers and motorhomes similar to those of homes?
Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) publishes minimum standards for all aspects of RV construction. Airstreams are compliant with RVIA standards.

But as for single-outlet vs. duplex outlet, I honestly don't know if RVIA Standards require the use of single outlets anywhere in a trailer; I know the standards exist, but I'm not fully conversant with them.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It seems hit and miss to me. They install which ever outlet they grab out of the box. My front tv has a double 110 and a single inverter outlet. The TV in the bedroom is the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Right after I bought my AS I decided I wanted to have duplex outlets where they installed those strange singles. I removed one, saw it was fully connected and used my Dremel tool to grind out the plastic. I also bought some replacement duplex on Amazon since those outlets are funny shallow things unlike anything in your house.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Yep,

Those funny little shallow outlets are, IMHO, cheap garbage and a constant source of problems in RVs. You won't find them in a house or in any type of marine application.

They are also called 'speed wire' outlets because you simply snap the Romex into the back. The 2 blades pierce the insulation and make contact with the solid wire, sort of like a 3M Scotchlok connector for DC. Much quicker on the production line than wiring a standard outlet or switch, which saves the OEM $$$.

I get a bunch of service calls every year to solve dead circuit/outlet problems and these outlets are usually responsible for the problems, as the blades eventually eat thru the solid copper and break the wire.

The other reason these are used is the very shallow depth, since the wall thickness in many RVs is 2". There are other, superior alternatives!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Yep,

Those funny little shallow outlets are, IMHO, cheap garbage and a constant source of problems in RVs. You won't find them in a house or in any type of marine application.

They are also called 'speed wire' outlets because you simply snap the Romex into the back. The 2 blades pierce the insulation and make contact with the solid wire, sort of like a 3M Scotchlok connector for DC. Much quicker on the production line than wiring a standard outlet or switch, which saves the OEM $$$.

I get a bunch of service calls every year to solve dead circuit/outlet problems and these outlets are usually responsible for the problems, as the blades eventually eat thru the solid copper and break the wire.

The other reason these are used is the very shallow depth, since the wall thickness in many RVs is 2". There are other, superior alternatives!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Sorry for the late revival on this thread but I figured , no need to start another.
I was going to change the plugs to get the two inlets and had the same questions.
Lew, what are the "better "alternatives if one wants to change these outlets so both sides can be used?

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You can get the receptacles with both outlets open from Amazon. They are common in RV's apparently.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Thanks Larry.

George
Old 04-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Sorry for the late revival on this thread but I figured , no need to start another.
I was going to change the plugs to get the two inlets and had the same questions.
Lew, what are the "better "alternatives if one wants to change these outlets so both sides can be used?

George
Depending on the location of the outlet, I often replace the RV style press-in type outlets with quality residential outlets. These work especially well with remodel boxes in cabinets. If you want to replace the originals that are mounted in the trailer's side walls, you will need a box extension, which you can find in any big box home center.
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Depending on the location of the outlet, I often replace the RV style press-in type outlets with quality residential outlets. These work especially well with remodel boxes in cabinets. If you want to replace the originals that are mounted in the trailer's side walls, you will need a box extension, which you can find in any big box home center.
OK, so there is no difference between the " electrics" of the two outlets, just quality?

George
Old 04-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...as Lew notes, these "speedier" outlets leave much to be desired. I have replaced three of them on my new trailer, but for different reasons: a) the outdoor outlet has a plastic cover -- I prefer stainless steel, so when I replaced the cover, I replaced the outlet, b) I find it a major convenience to have USB outlets where I spend time -- so I replaced the two 120V outlets adjacent to either side of my sofa/recliner with 120V/USB outlets. I suppose the "speed wire" work OK, but it makes me uncomfortable....particularly when they also serve as a junction box for other circuits.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote