Old 05-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Dual Filament Tail Light Bulb

I'm having a heck of a time finding replacement bulbs. Under the Bargman #9 lens are two bulbs. Higher up is a smaller single filament that is no problem. The bigger, twin contact bulb is the problem child. I can find them at any auto supply, but they are either single-pole, and fit, or dual and won't fit because the new ones have bayonet pins high/low. The socket wants pins directly across from one another, and low on the base. Napa sold me a bulb, #1142, that fits, one that has TWO poles on the bottom, but it only has ONE filament (not two, like the original). They say it will work, but I'm dubious. Is this some kind of new technology? WILL it work?

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Only one filament is actually hooked up in our 63 Overlander. If yours is the same, the single filament double pole end bulb should work. Ours had the 1157 double filament bulbs in it, with the correct socket, but only one of the filaments did anything. I ran a wire from the #67 bulb feed wire to the plug, and hooked up the non-functional filament (running lights). The running lights are now brighter, and brighter is good.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Site Team
, Minnesota
Older trailers had three circuits for the tail lights. One was the running lights, one was the flashing turn signal, and one was the brake light.

Sometime in the last 30 years the turn signal and the brake light were combined. When your foot is on the brakes and the turn signal is on, the brake light will light on one side, and the other side will flash. Didn't used to be that way.

So if you look at a standard 7-way umbilical wiring diagram, there is a combined right turn/brake light circuit, and a left turn/brake light circuit. In olden days there was a separate brake light circuit, which commonly came out of the brake controller along with the modulated signal to the brake magnets.

So if you get a two post/single filament bulb, it should work fine like the guy at Napa said.

Let me know if it doesn't.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
That kind of bulb was popular where there was no common chassis ground return, like on a wooden trailer. Then one side is hot and the other is ground, and the fixture's either grounded or neutral. It is used where chassis ground is considered unreliable as in aircraft position lights. The excella came with dual filament sockets but was only wired for one. I ran an extra wire and so have duble tail lights on each side. No brainer
"Not all who are laundering are washed" say Bill & Heidi

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote