Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Does it have a 'flasher' too??

Ok so I have made it this far getting everything hooked up.
The owner gave me the former brake control box that he snipped out of the truck.
Plus the seven pin plug that was mounted to the bumper.

Then I went to a shop of a good friends' and he wired it up using the former wires that were already in the truck.

Then the shop guy said I would need a new flasher plug, which we replaced tonight in the truck under the dash...now the blinkers work without fail.

so then we back up to the Airstream and plug in with the truck running and lights turned on...the red light on the brake control box comes on...

The turn signals worked at the back pretty good and were brighter than expected. And most of the running lights came on (you know how they need wiggling some to make happen). But as a whole the lights were not working it seemed -all the way- like the back up lights did not come on at all (those were the white lensed tail lights).
so all in all I am wondering does the Airstream have its' own flasher plug too? And if so where would it be located for replacement. ?
Thanks, Bill
Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Your reverse lights won't work unless you wire them in at the truck, that Ford is not factory wired for trailer reverse lights. You need a heavy duty flasher on the truck, try swaping your 4 way flasher for the turn signal flasher. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Ok so I have made it this far getting everything hooked up. The owner gave me the former brake control box that he snipped out of the truck.
Something to be aware of in regard to the trailer brake control. There are generally two varieties in use today ramp or time; or pendulum. A few have a mechanical or hydraulic connection to the tow vehicle, but these are much less common. Most Airstreamers prefer the pendulum type as there is better modulation as the pendulum senses deceleration and varies the current to the brakes. The ramp controller just keeps increasing the current to the trailer brakes until the rig comes to a stop.

Quote:
Plus the seven pin plug that was mounted to the bumper. So then we back up to the Airstream and plug in with the truck running and lights turned on...the red light on the brake control box comes on...
The Bargman plugs do wear out, and in my experience the blade type connectors have a very short life, and what you are describing usually indicates a corrosion build-up on my rigs. I suspect that the truck's receptacle is not wired to match the trailer from your description. Mis-matched wiring is almost always a problem on a Vintage Airstream coach - - and when mated to a Vintage tow vehicle the potential for mis-matches multiply. The easiest path is typically to wire both tow vehicle and coach to the currently accepted industry standard. You can locate the current industry standard for wiring on both the tow vehicle and coach at this link. You can find the likely pattern that you Airstream was wired to at this link.

Quote:
The turn signals worked at the back pretty good and were brighter than expected. And most of the running lights came on (you know how they need wiggling some to make happen). But as a whole the lights were not working it seemed -all the way- like the back up lights did not come on at all (those were the white lensed tail lights).
The turn signals should be flashing the brake lights on the coach. The tail lights and running lights should be receiving power from the same branch of the umbilical cord. The backup lights aren't alwaqys connected, particularly on the tow vehicle end - - it is often necessary to remind the installer to connect the backup light circuit on the tow vehicle as it isn't something that all coaches require.

Quote:
So all in all I am wondering does the Airstream have its' own flasher plug too? And if so where would it be located for replacement. ?
Your Airstream doesn't have a separate flasher for its system, but there may be fuses in the umbilical wiring on some models. Coaches of the 1960s and earlier typically had a junction box for the umbilical cord in the bellypan on the curbside front very near the front edge of the bellypan. On the 1970s and later coaches the junction box was more typically inside of the coach mounted low on the front wall on the curbside. Even if a fuse or fusible link isn't the problem, sometimes inspecting, cleaning and repairing these connections can solve intermittent electrical problems.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Thanks, I printed all this off and will show it to the shop owner this morning as we are replacing the gaskets on the engine of the truck. (getting rid of a minor oil leak) I will get back to you.
Overlander (or Kevin) what exactly is the belly pan?

I will also take a tiny needle file and will manicure(sand) the connections inside each pin where the copper is on those plugs.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Another issue with vintage .... the light cans rust out - and seemingly, the back-up lights are commonly affected. I had the same issue and needed to make some repairs before the lights would work.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ans-53148.html

Always sumpthin'....

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Bill!

Quote:
Overlander (or Kevin) what exactly is the belly pan?
The bellypan is what the aluminum covering on the bottom of the coach (below the frame) is called. The underside of the coach has been enclosed on Airstream trailers at the factory for several decades now.

Good luck with your investigations!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote