Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Does anyone know what lights you need on an Airstream?

I am really struggling with which lights I need on my Airstream before I take her home. 1974 International.

I would really love to know if I need brake lights AND turn signals AND hazard lights all separate?

Which reflectors I need?

Any other lights I will need?

I've been going over and over about the light thing and just cannot do it anymore. I am in Texas, headed towards Minnesota.

This is the link that I am using to base my lights on. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/stan.../Trlrpstr.html

Thank you soooooo much!
fairtheewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
If the trailer has working brake lights, and turn signals that's all you need for daytime. If traveling at night running lights are needed. The lights above the windows (red in back, yellow in front) are not necessary.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are towing with the Ford flatbed be very careful on the turns or you will damage the trailer with the corners of the flatbed.
You will also need operating brakes on the trailer. Which means a brake controller in the TV.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The rule for commercial vehicles is that if the light is on the vehicle it must function.

But, you being in an RV, I doubt they will throw up any roadblocks if your tail and running lights don't function in daylight driving. Just don't let the sun go down on you.

Signals and brake lights should ALWAYS work though.

Stops, turns, and hazards all combined only require two operational circuits.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
And of course, comply with the rules and regs of the state in which you plan to register the trailer, including lighting, inspection (required before full registration?), etc..

Each state has its own peculiarities of vehicle registration, including different standards for different weights IMO, and the personal/pleasure/commercial distinctions to be drawn. Preferable if the registered owner is an individual (not a corp. or LLC).

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Lights aside, you're gonna want those brakes to work as intended. Are they original??.....or have they been converted??

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
And for your 'Book of Useless Information"; has anybody noticed that the rear lights are facing backwards?
This IS supposed to be an aerodynamically designed "Airstream". Like the front lights, the 'fat' end should be forward. (Nobody ever designed an aeroplane with a wider 'fat ass'!)��
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
I am really struggling with which lights I need on my Airstream before I take her home. 1974 International.

I would really love to know if I need brake lights AND turn signals AND hazard lights all separate?

Which reflectors I need?

I've been going over and over about the light thing and just cannot do it anymore. I am in Texas, headed towards Minnesota.

This is the link that I am using to base my lights on. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/stan.../Trlrpstr.html

Thank you soooooo much!
When all the exterior lights are taken care of, be sure the refrigerator light works so you can see your beer.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post

Which reflectors I need?

Thank you soooooo much!
When you tow you will need all of the lights operating that were installed by the manufacturer. Otherwise, you could be ticketed for not having them operational.
As other's have said, brake lights and turn signals during daylight. Those and all other lights and reflectors at night.

add edit:
If you are having issues with the lights, check the ground connection at each fixture. Where there is no ground wire the connection to ground is through the fasteners to the body skin at each fixture. That where I find the most problems.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
You can get harnesses that you can clip on to the rear bumper for stop, turn and running lights. Wires can be taped along the side or run underneath. They plug into your light connector on the TV. Probably Camping World, Amazon or other RV type store will have them. Tail lights will have reflectors incorporated in them, but you can buy reflective tape at the same place or any store that sells bicycles.

For safety, you want them all to work . Most jurisdictions, if you are stopped, will give you a warning and a couple of days to get them fixed. you just mail in your receipt and a statement that you did fix it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
You would think BUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
The rule for commercial vehicles is that if the light is on the vehicle it must function.

But, you being in an RV, I doubt they will throw up any roadblocks if your tail and running lights don't function in daylight driving. Just don't let the sun go down on you.

Superat stultitia.

I would think that most areas would be easy BUT NOT OHIO. I had a home built trailer and a German car made in a French auto plant and sold by GM. When I went to hook up trailer lights, I could get tail lights and brake lights or tail lights and blinkers but not both. Now systems like that may be common enough that kits are available but it was a rare thing in my day. I opted for Tail lights and brake lights, and traveling through Ohio I was ticketed by a very unforgiving State Patrol who fully understood but didn't care.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:10 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
J. Morgan is right about commercial vehicles. If there’s a light fixture on the exterior of the vehicle it must be functional. That even goes for those tractor trailers festooned with lights and reflectors on every square foot of exterior skin. Truckers affectionately call those rigs Christmas trees. If a driver pulls into a weigh station glittering all over he’ll get the second look from the Staties to keep him regulation.
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post

In states where the law is "wipers on, lights on" you'll need working taillights even in daylight if it starts to rain.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
In states where the law is "wipers on, lights on" you'll need working taillights even in daylight if it starts to rain.

Good point!

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If the wiring configuration in your umbilical and 7 way connecter are original it will not match up with your tow vehicle. Nowadays there is an industry standard. Hopefuilly someone has already rewired it.