Old 05-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Cardiff , California
Dead marker lights

Hi everyone,

Pleae forgive me for a newbie question: I just purchased a 78 Ambassador and have begun fixing the "little issues". All of the marker lights need replacement. The new market lights have the two wire set up. I understand grounding to an extent. I have replaced a few and crimped eyelets to the ground and out through the mounting screw to mount. There are some markers that are still in need of replacing.

I have connected the trailer to the TV, plugged in and turned on the lights but no markers are lighting up. Brake lights and turns work fine, but no markers.

My question is do all markers need to be fixed to complete the loop and light up?

Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
No, any light that has 12VDC and a good ground should light up even if it is the only one good light on the trailer.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
I have a similar problem, hope we both can solve this issue!
|:::::::::/\::::::|>
n8andm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Cardiff , California
Thanks Gary,

So that puts me at a loss. I would assume test the hot wire to see if there's current? Anyone crossed this path, I would like to fix quick. Mine has broken marker covers and exposed bulbs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Your trailer may not be wired the same as the TV. Have the marker and tail lights ever worked on your TV? Here are a few diagrams that may help you. Notice the difference between the drawing on the left and the one on the right, the tail lights are located differently along with others.
You should verify the wiring on the trailer using a battery charger to test each circuit. If necessary rewire the trailer plug to match the TV.

The ubilical drawing below is to todays standards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'75 trailer wiring. 7 pin socket.png
Views:	82
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	130930   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 PinTrailer Plug Wiring.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	130931  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf umbilical%20wiring[1].pdf (18.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Cardiff , California
great... I just bought the trailer. The brake and turnlights work as long as I have the TV's lights on. No marker lights have worked.

Is this a complicated fix? I am a minor when it comes to electrical.

TV is a 2006 Tundra w/ factory tow package

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Could be the factory plug... My Ford has the factory setup but they chinzed on the 7 way which is actually only a 6 way unless you tap into the 4 way. Hahaha, ridiculous sounding I know, but true. Call a dealer and ask them if Tundra's need a patch cable to get full 7 way capability...ill bet that will be the problem. Good luck
Old 05-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Since you don't know how the trailer has been wired or rewired I would start there.

Using a battery or battery charger I would determine where each pin on the trailer went to.
Connect the battery/charger black lead to the trailer frame and use the positive to touch each pin to find out where it goes, the critical wire is the ground (should be white wire, pin 1) due not touch this one since you will be shorting the battery or charger to ground if it is in fact wired to ground.

Go around the pins and verify they are wired as the above diagram.

Your Tundra manual should give you the pinout on how it is wired.

Rewire the TT to match the Tundra.

It helps if you have a second person watching the lights and listen for the brakes as you touch the pins with voltage.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Cardiff , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
Since you don't know how the trailer has been wired or rewired I would start there.

Using a battery or battery charger I would determine where each pin on the trailer went to.
Connect the battery/charger black lead to the trailer frame and use the positive to touch each pin to find out where it goes, the critical wire is the ground (should be white wire, pin 1) due not touch this one since you will be shorting the battery or charger to ground if it is in fact wired to ground.

Go around the pins and verify they are wired as the above diagram.

Your Tundra manual should give you the pinout on how it is wired.

Rewire the TT to match the Tundra.

It helps if you have a second person watching the lights and listen for the brakes as you touch the pins with voltage.

Let us know how it works out.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I will definitly call Toyota.

Gary, I have one last question on the battery charger test: So I ground the black charger to the TT frame, but with the positive charger cable are you saying to touch the pins of the truck pins or the TT's? I am assuming you are saying the TT's, but the TT's plug is a female. I am assuming by touching the positive charger cable to the female pin, I can see what pin connects and lights the brake lights, brakes and marker lights.
My battery charger is a 110 household plug in.
Again thanks, and sorry for the questions. appreciate the help.

Matt
Old 05-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes, use the positive (red) lead to test each pin. If you have difficulty getting the charger lead to contact the pins in the TT plug use a common (flat blade) screw driver and clamp the charger lead to the screw driver shaft. Then touch each of the pins.
If you have a 12 volt test light; you can determine the pin out of your TV.
It is important that you have a good ground; find a place that you can clamp the negative lead of the charger, then clean all the paint and rust from the contact area.
Your charger plugs into a 120 volts, but the output will be about 13 volts DC.
Your TV will most likely be wired like the drawing on the right that I posted above. Keep in mind that you are viewing end of the connection from the rear in the bottom view (it's labeled interior connections) where the wires are attached.
If you have the type of connector that has round pins there will probably be one pin that is larger than the others, it will be the ground/common.
Do you know how to use a VOM (volt-ohm-meter)? If you would like to learn, let us know. I think all TT owners should become proficient in the use of this device.

It may be easier if you just disconnect the wires on the TT plug and check them. It sounds like you will have to rewire it anyway to match your TV. When you do this make a note of which colors are for what lights etc. In the TT wiring the white wire will be the ground/common. If it has a large black wire it will probably be the "charge" for your "house" battery. If there is a battery in the trailer and it is good, you should be able to read 12 volts between the large black and large white wires.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Cardiff , California
Thanks TG! I will be working on it tomorrow. You've been a ton of help. Yes My Tundra has the round plug, So I will not test the center round pin on the TT pigtail.

I am a total novice on TT's, but have some experience with a VOM. I have worked on boats and vintage cars, but TT's are new to me. I am buying a new VOM today. I have two good working batteries on the trailer. I like the idea of taking the plug off the TT's pigtail and rewiring. As I said my brakes work, brake lights and turn signals, but the rest????

Anyway really appreciate all the help from everyone.

Matt