Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Corroded light sockets

Replacing the lens on the flood light. The light still works. Noticed that there is rust on the socket sleeve. What is the best way to "fix" this problem? Also noticed have the same "opportunity" with the tail lights. I assume I should remove as much rust as possible. Do I dare try to use rust inhibitor? Thanks. Jack
I know I should add pictures and will try to update later tonight.
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You can skip the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamper1 View Post
.. there is rust on the socket sleeve. What is the best way to "fix" this problem? ...
Replace the sockets. Auto parts stores sell them for very few dollars.

The labor in doing so will be significantly less than cleaning.

Since the sockets are already rusted, that means the minimal corrosion protection the original manufacturer applied went AWOL, and you will be constantly re-cleaning.

Swab silicone GREASE (not RTV) over the new connectors for protection against oxidation.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Depends on how bad the corrosion is. I have a fresh water atmsosphere here on the great lakes compared to the salty coast of GA. My '80 had corrosion in the same places and I used a combination of scotchbrite green or grey pads to scrub off most of it wrapped around a flat bladed screw driver to get into the socket itself. I also used 180 grit sandpaper to get some of the heavy stuff off. If the sockets are really badly rusted you can replace them pretty easily. They can be purchased at auto parts or trailer supply stores. I guess a rust inhibitor wouldn't hurt anything as long as it allowed the electricity to flow. I used silicone grease on the mating surface of the flood light lense to hopefully help with a moisture seal. That is silicone grease NOT silicone caulk and I kept it off the aluminum body of the A/S. It work pretty good on my boats spotlight which had a real moisture problem and it spends time in both fresh and salt water.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
What Tom said. A dremel tool with a wire brush attachment will work but it's not a lasting repair.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I have seen light sockets in cars that come from the factory with what appears to be white lithium grease, if so I would think that grease has some anti-corrosion additives in it.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Keep in mind that boats have these corrosion problems as well, and deal with them by using better materials. Chrome plated brass sockets are usually used rather than zinc plated steel....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamper1 View Post
Replacing the lens on the flood light. The light still works. Noticed that there is rust on the socket sleeve. What is the best way to "fix" this problem? Also noticed have the same "opportunity" with the tail lights. I assume I should remove as much rust as possible. Do I dare try to use rust inhibitor? Thanks. Jack
I know I should add pictures and will try to update later tonight.

I'm on my third trailer - all have been a couple of years old when I bought them and so I have experienced corrosion in light sockets. I clean them up with a dremel and then apply dielectric (silicon) grease - seems to do the trick for me.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote