Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
After fixing the OEM door light one too many times too many I got an aftermarket LED unit which fits underneath the original cover. Probably not as bright as Zep's but brighter than the original and an easy quick intall

Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
LUMATIC, this first design isn't very maintenance friendly--you have to remove the whole housing to change an LED. But they should last a long time, plus, using stainless screws to install it will hopefully prevent the screws from corroding in and making it hard (I mean almost impossible) to remove.

Here's a fair representation of how the light looks just after dusk, not quite totally dark yet. In this photo, the left image is "dim," eg, a 56-ohm resistor in series so one disk is at ~75% brightness and the other two are dark. I think I can dim it down a bit more and cut the current down when I want just a "porch" light. The right image has all three at full brightness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0768 bright-dim.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	175124

The photo below gives a different perspective (the left image was taken a few minutes earlier, so there's more daylight. Both photos are with all three LEDs on bright.

Name:	DSCN0762 obliques.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	175125

My thanks to PERRYG114 for all the links to the DIY LEDs. I was tempted to try out the 20W LED, but these three discs (at a total of 6W) produce more than enough light and don't have the heat sink issue of the 20W LED.

IMHO, this is way more suitable for general area lighting than the scare light, out to about 15 ft from the side of the Airstream. The only issue I see is that because of the curve of the shell, there is a shadow on most of the step nearest the shell. An LED strip in the step well will fix that.

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Good job ZEP. Now all you need to do is replace the belly trim with a LED array. Maybe you can make them blink to a Christmas tune. The light in the step well is not a bad idea. I have LED running lights and an LED scare light and I put one of those LED tail light bulbs in the light above the door. I have not gotten to messing with LED lights on the inside. I have been more concerned with getting the major road worthyness aspects taken care of. I may get to play with the interior stuff this winter. Keep up the good work.

Perry
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
...I like the belly trim LED array idea!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Zep, we'll need to get together some time early next year so you can teach me some LED tech.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
No matter how hard Zep tries he can't turn an Airstream into a Provost (thank god)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
No matter how hard Zep tries he can't turn an Airstream into a Provost (thank god)
OK, I'll bite. What's a Provost? I know you don't mean the French jet trainer aircraft. Or do you? Or a teacher?

Zep
Old 12-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
OK, I'll bite. What's a Provost? I know you don't mean the French jet trainer aircraft. Or do you? Or a teacher?

Zep
One of those megalithic "recreational vehicles" where the sticker starts at about a million bucks for a basic model.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Once on the road I went to a greasy spoon that had a model train that went around the counter delivering burgers to the customers. I don't remember if the burgers were any good. What do you think, "The Beltline RR"?.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post

Zep
Provost, pronounced "pray vō" (long o), is a very high-end maker of motorhomes. They are from Quebec, hence the French pronunciation.

I've been following, and enjoying, your LED threads. I got one of my ceiling lights done like we talked about in the $5 Retrofit LEDs for 6-light ceiling lights... thread. I need to put up photos. I have a few days off between now and New Year's so I should get some posting done then. I should mention that my fixtures don't have the 6 lights, but came with very odd sized ThinLite florescents.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #39
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Provost, pronounced "pray vō" (long o), is a very high-end maker of motorhomes. They are from Quebec, hence the French pronunciation.
It's actually spelled "Prevost". There should be an accent over the "e", but I suppose they dropped it to make life more simple for themselves (and the anglophones reading "Prévost" and wondering how to pronounce it).

The correct pronunciation is "Expensive".
Old 12-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
It's actually spelled "Prevost". There should be an accent over the "e", but I suppose they dropped it to make life more simple for themselves (and the anglophones reading "Prévost" and wondering how to pronounce it).
Ack! I knew it was with an e. I just typed it as it was in the previous posts without thinking. It's not like I can just go out in the yard and look at mine.

That "e" was nagging at the corner of consciousness though. When I put in "pray vō" I though later that I should have spelled it "prey." I still didn't snap though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
The correct pronunciation is "Expensive".
Or very expensive.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Oh, yeah, I had seen these uber land yachts. Urk.

OK, I appreciate mucho the comment about the porch light shinning onto the neighbor, so made some mods. The top fixture is the first effort--all discs toward the front. Great light output and really good party light, since it illuminates well to the left and right. The two side discs are extinguished when this light is switched to dim. The center disc is still bright on the dim setting, as in the previous post, but not full bright.

Second fixture (in each image) has the middle disc back toward the rear so that its light is shielded from going too far outward and bugging the neighbor, but the party lights on each side are foward give good illumination to the side. However, turning them puts them back in the fixture a little, so there is some minor vignetting. Not bad.

The third fixture has the middle disc far back, and the other two back about half, but they are turned inwards, so the left disc illuminates to the right. This hides all the discs from the neighbor, but still provides really good party light (eg, light along the side of the Airstream) and their is no vignetting.

Name:	DSCN0773 front.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	175243

Name:	DSCN0774 side.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	175244

Name:	DSCN0777 under.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	175245

If you elect to make this kind of fixture (or any fixture using these LED discs), be careful to keep the edges of the discs from contacting the shell or each other. Many of them are trimmed very close to solder on the LEDs and you may short the disc to ground.

Unike the first two, the third fixture is wired for two power wires, since it will go on the '77 Safari, which has most of the inside skin off and I can add a wire up to the top of the door. This will allow me to have only the center disc powered when I want a porch light and will allow me to more finely control its brightness when on dim. The other two discs will be controlled by the scare light switch, so they can also be bright or dim.

Will these discs vibrate out of their sockets and require some kind of restraint? Only miles will tell.

It take awhile, but sometimes I finally come up with a solution I like.

Zep
Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok Zep here is another supplier of LED stuff direct from China. These are relatively cheap and there are endless varieties to chose from. You can get arrays or individual really bright flashlight emitters. You will have to get creative on your search parameters because they don't list things consistantly and the English is very bad but can be amusing to read. Here is a link to get you started.

LED emitter at DinoDirect.com (3012List)

You might try other search parameters of LED, Emitter, Flashlight.

They have components to make flashlights and other LED light sources. You just have to be patient and creative to find what you want. Shipping takes about a month from China but your stuff will show up eventually. I have a couple LED flashlights from them and they are light having a car headlight in your hand.

Here is some more info on cree LED's which are use for flashlights and other high intensity LED's.

http://flashlightwiki.com/Cree

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree_Inc

Maybe the above links will help shed some light on LED technology.

Perry