Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Fall River , Massachusetts
Connecting new 12V System to '60s trailer

I have progressed to the next stage of my full restoration and and procrastinating because I am unsure of a couple of things.

I have the converter working fine and ran some wiring for the 12 v lighting system. Then it dawned on me, how can I control multiple lights with there own switches on one circuit and be able ot always have power to the lights regardless of the previous switches off position? Make sense? In other words, if i have two lights on a circuit each with its own switch how can I maintain power to the second light on the daisy chain even if the switch for the first light is in the of position.

A real example is I have the two overhead sleeping area overhead lights on the same circuit with the bathroom. if the sleeping area light switch is off, how do I get power to the bathroom?

The limited home wire experience I have tells me to have a junction box and run a hot to the bathroom light but I am not familiar with this approach for a 12v system. Any thoughts men?

Currently, here are my thoughts for my 12v system:

1. 2 front end cap lights and 2 bunk lights (1 over each bunk) with a switch or the front end cap lights and two individual switches for each bunk light.

2. 3 center lights lights and a bathroom light each with separate switches

3. 1 circuit for some 12v outlets and all of the storage lighting under the two bunks and the under dinette seating each with there own switches on the fixture itself.

4. 1 circuit for the led tape lighting to illuminate the outer walls circumference, under each on the bunk overhead cabinets, each of the kitchen galley cabinets and the from endcap cabinet area. The thought for this lighting is to put it on a dimmer so that when all lighting is off, i can set a very soft light around the circumference of the trailer.

What do you gentlemen think about this for the 12v lighting?
Sairaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
google parallel circuit.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You will be much happier with wire runs from each lighting area and outlet. That includes grounding runs to a central ground bus.

Tags
12v