Old 07-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Dallington , UK
Clearance Light Colours

I'm the new proud owner of a totally original 1968 Ambassador, which is currently sitting in Baltimore waiting for a ship to the UK.
One thing that puzzles me (amongst many!) is that on the kerb side, the side with the entrance door, it has orange clearance lights and reflectors at the front and in the middle, and then a red light and reflector on that side nearest the back. On the other side they are orange all the way along.
Any one know what this is all about?

Old 07-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by neillop
I'm the new proud owner of a totally original 1968 Ambassador, which is currently sitting in Baltimore waiting for a ship to the UK.
One thing that puzzles me (amongst many!) is that on the kerb side, the side with the entrance door, it has orange clearance lights and reflectors at the front and in the middle, and then a red light and reflector on that side nearest the back. On the other side they are orange all the way along.
Any one know what this is all about?
Forward clearance lights are supposed to be orange, rear ones are supposed to be red. Someone used their creativity and mixed them up a bit.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Dallington , UK
I thought that to start with, but the reflector is red as well - not as easy to change. It spent its life in RI - maybe a state regulation?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
My '77 Excella 500 had amber clearance on the front and middle of both sides. The rear had red. I'd say that someone just replaced one on the rear corner with an amber clearance light because that is what they happened to have at the time. Some people aren't too particular.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Hello

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on owning the coolest caravan in existence! How about photos?

Vaughan
Old 07-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Dallington , UK
Hi there, I've spent 15 mins trying to upload a pic but I can't get it small enough
I'm not the cleverest on a pc
Old 07-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Dallington , UK
Best thing is, I bought the trailer on ebay, travelled 3500 miles to pay for it in RI, dragged it 400 miles to Baltimore, flew home, picked up my car, drove 50 miles home, and what did I see 3 miles from where I live? A 60s overlander, coming the other way. The only other AS I saw all week.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Photo Upload Problems

Quote:
Hi there, I've spent 15 mins trying to upload a pic but I can't get it small enough
I'm not the cleverest on a pc
Hi again Neil.

I too have had difficulties uploading photos to anything other than the monthly photo contest:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f415...est-33831.html

and the members photo section:

http://airforums.com/photos/browseim...0&userid=17830

The workaround I have used is to setup an area for my photos in the members section, upload the photo there, copy the address from the URL address at the top of my browser (Safari in this case), and paste the address, for example:

http://airforums.com/photos/showimag...900&original=1

into the “Upload File from an URL” window from clicking the “Manage Attachments” button. It’s clumsy, but it seems to work.

Vaughan
Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Gmt

On another note, are you in the UK now? By my watch, it is after midnight GMT.

Vaughan
Old 07-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Déjà vu

Quote:
Best thing is, I bought the trailer on ebay, travelled 3500 miles to pay for it in RI, dragged it 400 miles to Baltimore, flew home, picked up my car, drove 50 miles home, and what did I see 3 miles from where I live? A 60s overlander, coming the other way. The only other AS I saw all week.
For a while in the late 1980s I built handmade kaleidoscopes with an associate and sold them at arts and crafts festivals. I would spend March and November in Florida working a show each weekend. After a couple of years camping in a 1977 Dodge van, I bought my ‘67. The ¾ ton van made a great tow vehicle.

(Fortunately, being from the UK, you know what a ton, and inch, a pound, a yard and etc… is.)

I looked all over the US, especially Florida, and found nothing I could afford. I had some neighbors that transported antique vehicles, and they had a black GMC motor home that had been rigged as an airport limousine. It was used to pickup rock bands, or whatever… and transport them to whatever show, or whatever…, was involved.

I looked at that and said that I really wanted a trailer. Even though I wanted an Airstream, by this time I would have taken Some Other Brand (SOB). Their response was, “We have a friend who had been trying to sell an Airstream for a couple of years.”

I had looked all over the continent, and the match was only 13 miles away. Pre Internet.

Vaughan
Old 07-21-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Congratulations on your Ambassador find. How long willl it take to ship over? Is it going in a container? I'm in Baltimore and have had quite a few inquiries re shipping Airstreams and motorcycles to Europe from potential continental buyers who are my business relations.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Best thing is, I bought the trailer on ebay, traveled 3500 miles to pay for it in RI, dragged it 400 miles to Baltimore, flew home, picked up my car, drove 50 miles home, and what did I see 3 miles from where I live? A 60's overlander, coming the other way. The only other AS I saw all week.
It's fate. What a treat too to see one so close to home. Hopefully you will find out who the owners are and can stay in touch. If they are at all like the other Airstreamers we've met, like on this forum, they will be great folks to know. You certainly had quite a trip and are very committed to Airstreaming.

It's like searching for years and years for the right Airstream as we did, then finding it 20 minutes from our house. I looked all over the States and Canada, drove thousands of miles over the years, and just could not find the right one. Ended up with a Silver Streak that we also found about 15 minutes from the house and of course then the Airstream popped up so we bought it too. Then, three years later, looking on Craig's list for friends who want one like ours, up pops an advt in Seattle (3 hours away) that was all wrong so I suggested he call anyways and when he did not only did it turn out to be a 21 foot Flying Cloud instead of 18 foot as advertised, but it is the same year as ours, 1951, and the serial number is exactly 30 earlier than mine. Same floor plan as ours, but in nicer shape than ours was when we got it. (I keep telling him how much I hate him for that).

As for different colored marker lights, often as certain models of lights became obsolete getting replacement lenses was a problem. You put whatever you could find on it regardless of the color just so you had a functioning light. That was the case with mine - it had amber all around but there was a broken red lens in the storage bin and when I popped the passenger side amber lens off there was still traces of red embedded in the gasket.

Barry