Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Lexington , Ohio
Ceiling Lights - Help Me Trouble Shoot!

Hello All - I've searched and can't find a similar problem and solution. So, here's my dilemma.

Have an '89 Excella with two overhead ceiling lights that are controlled by switch mounted beside the door. The switch has high, low, and off. Only two bulbs (out of 6 total) are working in each fixture. The two bulbs in each work in both the high and low position.

Yesterday my wife and I removed the front fixture which was a combo vent/light unit but at some point the motor and fan was removed. I have two wires that feed 12v power to the lights on this fixture. One wire is connected to the two middle bulbs that work, the other wire feeds the four bulbs that do not work.

I checked voltage after removing the wire nuts on both these wires. I have 12 volts to the wire feeding the two bulbs when the switch is in both high and low positions. The other wire has 12 volts when the switch is in the high position but drops to a little over 1 volt when in the low position.

Here's where I'm stumped. I can take the wire that feeds the four bulbs and connect it to the two bulb feed wire and the bulbs work so I know the fixture is working. I also did the reverse and put the wire feeding the two bulbs to the other feed and with the switch in the high position and reading 12 volts, the bulbs won't light.

What am I missing? Also only have two bulbs working in the center overhead light fixture that is operated by the same switch.

Any "light" anyone can shed is appreciated!
Wiltstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Can you pull the switch and get access to the wires on the back of it? If yes, then use a jumper to connect the +12v supply wire to the low and high wires that feed the lights and see if that works. If the lights work when you jumper from +12V to the high wire, then the switch is bad.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Lexington , Ohio
Minno - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Just came inside from fiddling with the switch and I now have both fixtures functioning correctly! Turns out the switch was fine, I had one wire that had a corroded connection and once cleaned up, all was good!!

I appreciate your help!

Shane
Wiltstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Good deal - glad I could help!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
sockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiltstream View Post
Hello All - I've searched and can't find a similar problem and solution. So, here's my dilemma.

Have an '89 Excella ...................

.....What am I missing? Also only have two bulbs working in the center overhead light fixture that is operated by the same switch.

Any "light" anyone can shed is appreciated!
Could it be the sockets for the bulbs that won't light are worn and not making contact?